Bose 901

nomad02rider

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, Kevin:

I'm just asking because that last long thread on the 901s you mentioned how they were kind of fun to listen to sometimes.

Ever get that new 45 amp going? I'm going to try to get a scratch-built one done by the end of the summer. The last I heard the 45 in a DRD I had here, it was really a wonderful sounding tube. I don't own one myself, though, but can make one. I have a couple of OPTs with the right primary impedance for it, and most of the other parts. Just no 45s. I'm going to have to save for those.

Erik

Yes, I got the Star Chief 45s up and running about a year ago. They are my main amps now. I have ended up with 2 pairs of Moondogs (both Ultimate parts). I am going to sell one pair and I still have a pair of DRD45s that I am going to sell. - When I get around to it. I actually have 4 pairs of Welborne Amps.I may consider hanging on to them, as I think Welborne may be out of the amp business. I could not find any amps on their website awhile ago.

I actually keep the 901s because it is fun to turn them on, when someone comes over and claims that they are some of the best speakers that they have ever heard. I turn on the 901s and then let them listen to my Klipschorn/Altec Speakers and see what they prefer. - That is pretty much the only fun that I have with the 901s. I got them for free, because they had rotted foam drivers. I refoamed and re-finished them with walnut panels for about 80 bucks total and they reside in my audio museum. They are really pretty crummy speakers. But I have a lot of crummy old speakers as well as some classics in my Audio musuem.

The flaw in Dr. Bose’s logic is that “if” 90% of the sound we hear from the source is reflected, then why make a speaker that sends only 10% of its sound “directly” and deliberately reflects 90% of it at the source when 90% of it would be eventually be reflected sound anyway even with all the drivers facing the listener? That actually adds up to much more than 90% being reflected.

And besides that, the speaker is worthless without its accompanying equalizer to grossly compensate for inadequate frequency response.

Those of you who have the Klipsch Audio Papers ~ check it out ~ there is what I believe a Bose 901 frequency modulation distortion graph in there, PWK describes it. Pretty pathetic.

Dr. Amar Bose is indeed a great businessman. However his skills and talent as an engineer are at best “questionable”.

And besides that, the speaker is worthless without its accompanying equalizer to grossly compensate for inadequate frequency response.

That goes without saying! - The 901s without the equalizer, would be like using Klipshorns without the tweeters hooked up. Anyone that thinks they could use the 901s without the equalizer is smokin something mighty strong.

The flaw in Dr. Bose’s logic is that “if” 90% of the sound we hear from the source is reflected, then why make a speaker that sends only 10% of its sound “directly” and deliberately reflects 90% of it at the source when 90% of it would be eventually be reflected sound anyway even with all the drivers facing the listener? That actually adds up to much more than 90% being reflected.

Based on the Bose theory of 90% reflected in regular speakers, I am comming up with 98.8% being reflected in the 901's .

8 of 9 speakers are "directly reflecting" (88.88%). Plus 90% of the front speaker 1/9 x 90%. Man these are bad speakers by at least 8.8%.

Kidding aside the problem is that Amar forgot that recordings are mastered to give a three D soundstage and his invention just destroys it. I gret up around 601's and liked them when I was 14. I bought JBL monitors when I was 19 and could not believe the difference, they actually imaged.

We all owe Dr. Bose a huge debt of gratitude for proving beyond any doubt the ill effects of early reflections on sound reproduction. His 901 loudspeaker helped define "time smear" that destroys transient response. As if that wasn't enough, this instrument of sonic destruction featured distortion products of a magnitude greater than the fundamental frequency.

It's totally worthless with the EQ also.

The only purpose of this junk is to serve as a bad example of audio engineering.

"The only purpose of this junk is to serve as a bad example of audio engineering."

I'm sure you're aware that there are those 'out there' that say something very similar in reference to horn speakers. I recall an experience at a 'high end' audio store where, when asked about what speakers I was considering -- to which I replied, "Klipsch La Scalas." The person who asked the question politely stifled an obvious laugh, but, not being able to similarly squelch a big grin, asked why I would even think of considering a speaker that, as far as he knew, was designed as a PA speaker for auditorium use. He went on further to explain how his one brief experience with the La Scala was enough because of its harshness and 'coloration.'

This fellow confirmed his correctness of the perception by revealing his many years of experience in audio, etc., etc.

"Okay," I replied, and wished him a good day.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, All...Chuck here...new to the forum but have something to contribute...

A friend was the Klipsch dealer for our mid-sized Southern city from the late 60's to whenever, and his main competitor was the Bose dealer when the whole direct-reflecting craze hit in the early 70's. What he did was go to the guy's store and buy a pair of the speakers with all the accoutrement, including the product data sheets and instructions. He copied the cancelled check and put it up on the wall, along with the installation and operating instructions, and meticulously installed the speakers to the specs per Bose. He always had K-horns, Cornwalls, and H's in stock and sometimes LaScalas.

He had a switching network set up with a wired flipper-paddled A-B switch, so that the listener could select any two pair of speakers in the showroom and sit down in a comfortable arm-chair right in the sweet spot and A-B them to their hearts' content. Anybody that came in talking about the new Bose speakers, he would just usher them into the listening room, ask them what they would like to compare the newest Bose product to and find out what they wanted to listen to program-wise, put that music on and let them go at it with the little switch. He would start with the Heresys and explain they were Klipsch's bottom-of-the-line pair, and go from there. By the time he finished with the K-horns not many of them wanted to talk about Bose any more.

The only other anti-Bose marketing he did was to get a huge rubber stamp of the word BULLSHIT and he stamped every Bose ad and/or review in all the Audiophile and Stereo Review magazines in RED with that rubber stamp.

It may not sound like much now, 35 or so years later, but we had big fun with that back then.

Blessings to all,

Chuck

Thanks for sharing that story! I think the "direct-reflecting craze" has run its course, but Bose advertising still works. A few months ago, while talking stereos with my family doctor, I mentioned I had upgraded Klipsch La Scalas at home. His response was, "Are they as good as Bose?" The only polite answer I could make was to invite him over to hear the difference for himself, but he hasn't shown up yet.

There's just no talking to some people! I don't bother to criticize other speaker companys when I am asked for recommendations on equipment, I just play my Klipsch for them and that pretty much settles the matter. I had a buddy who was looking to upgrade his speakers and considering Bose, I asked him if he had ever heard Klipsch speakers and said no. I invited him over and asked him his favorite music and he said "anything by Steely Dan" So I threw on "Babylon Sisters" figuring that it had a wide range of vocals, horns and was well recorded. His comment, "It's like I never heard the song before!" Needless to say he bought Klipsch speakers.

Very interesting reading...you know a LOT of people have bought into the marketing...that's what the marketers want...having someone listen who is willing to learn and perhaps drop their biases is where the fun begins...back in the late '70s, I bought Bo$e 301s because of the speakers I could afford, I thought they sounded the best...A/B'd several speakers in that then $100 range...I really did think those Bo$e sounded best (at that very low price point)...I always liked the Klipsch (wanted Heresys then) but they were several hundred dollars more and I just couldn't swing it...I remember at college many people talking Bo$e 901s...I bought kg 2s in the late '80's (still couldn't swing the bigger Klipsch) but have taken off from there (after finding this place 4+ years ago)...I haven't heard anything to make me stray from Klipsch...

Bill