longing for the 70's

duchess

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, thank God. I came here to say "Whatever for" to your thread title!

Good luck...

Old hippie for whom the 70's was when everything started heading downhill...

(OK, not everything, don't tell me about all the wonderfull things about the 70's...anybody who claims to remember the 60's wasn't really there)

[<:o)]

Dave

this lady at work just asked me if i remember back in high school when a guy would like a girl and he'd make her a CD of his favorite songs. I told her that they didn't have CDs when I was in High School--we were just moving from 8-Track to these new things called cassettes. I feel old.

The 70's? Why? R&R died, disco happened, there were leisure suits and K-cars. What a decade to forget. I did my Army stint and my college deal then. Not much to remember other than work, work, work and more work. When I listened to the radio the sounds were dismal. Sorry just not my decade. Oh I remember 4 track tapes. Yeah I had fun in the 70's too but it just is not a stand out time for moi. Sorry.

The 70's? Why? R&R died, disco happened, there were leisure suits and K-cars. What a decade to forget. I did my Army stint and my college deal then. Not much to remember other than work, work, work and more work. When I listened to the radio the sounds were dismal. Sorry just not my decade. Oh I remember 4 track tapes. Yeah I had fun in the 70's too but it just is not a stand out time for moi. Sorry.

Now I see the problem. You stayed in the 70s too long. K-cars came out in 1981.

Bob

"Oh I remember 4 track tapes."

You must have worked in a radio station, that's the only place I ever saw a 4 track tape in the 70s (used for commercial spots).

8 track tapes.

I used to see yards of 1/4" tape strung out on the side of the road.

Took me a while to figure out it was from 8 track tapes.

Now I see the problem.  You stayed in the 70s too long.  K-cars came out in 1981.

Bob

The 70's seemed to go on forever. I think the Captain and Tenille put that decade into some sort of time warp.

"Oh I remember 4 track tapes."

You must have worked in a radio station, that's the only place I ever saw a 4 track tape in the 70s (used for commercial spots).

8 track tapes.

I used to see yards of 1/4" tape strung out on the side of the road.

Took me a while to figure out it was from 8 track tapes.

No. The first car players were 4 track and far superior to 8-track both in durability and quality. I DID work in a radio station and these (in full track) were the staple for 20 years for spots and such after they lost the consumer war. We even used them for music in the Armed Forces Radio and Television Network.

8-Track won the consumer for the same reason VHS beat Beta. Capacity. Half the quality but twice the music.

Dave

Now I see the problem. You stayed in the 70s too long. K-cars came out in 1981.

Bob

The 70's seemed to go on forever. I think the Captain and Tenille put that decade into some sort of time warp.

Leisure suits weren't that bad (except for looking bad), they were way more comfortable than a business suit. The reason the decade seemed to go on forever was because stag-flation really stank. If you looked in the right places the music was great in the 70's.

Dushcess, welcome to the Forum. You've probably already realized we have an odd sense of humor here.

In hopes of aiding your search I'm bumping this back up to the top. Also keep an eye on the Garage Sale section. Also let us know where you are from since there might be people here with what you seek but are not willing to ship. Oh and stick around and have a little fun.

So did you look like this in the 1970's. I sure started the decade that way but something happened to my hair along the way.

post-14801-13819354741998_thumb.jpg

Leisure suits were that bad. They were wide lapel ugly and they were made with plastic fabrics. They did not absorb sweat and they chaffed. They also made rustling sounds when you moved. My mom gave me one. It was a puke green but it matched the forest green patent leather shoes she bought to go with it. I looked like a very poor pimp. Didn't the 70's also give us the permed up afro look for people of all races? You had to get those wide rayon ties to go with the leisure suits too. There was some music I enjoyed from the 70's but I never could do the Hustle. Maybe it was just too great a shift from the 60's kinda like a cultural backlash against a cultural rebellion. In other words schizophrenia.

I think what many associate as "the 60s" was really from about 1969-~1973. And that was a golden period for music.

Then the 70s was from 74/75 on- until you want to let it die depending upon your take on disco, punk, or the seemingly incessant sounds of Foreigner and Journey or the death of a once fine band called Fleetwood Mac with the addition of Buckingham and Nicks and seemingly endless covers of JJCale songs by Clapton, not to mention the emergence of Steve Miller pop muzak... [+o(]

Wow, it hurts to try to remember!

Except for limited protests that most only saw on the news, the proliferation of drugs, fashions, hair, didn't really take off in the 'mainstream' until the age of freaks - not hippies!

The early 70's were fine (In fact, for many, what most now
associate with the 60's never happened in the 60's where they were-
which was just fine, as the music was still great, and middle class
suburbia was still 'safe'...) But by mid decade so much schlock had
emerged as to render the second half of the decade a wasteland.

And some mention the mid 70's as if there was a 'transition' from one style to another! Now that is truly scary!

I think instead it was more of a fracturing. Few I knew 'transitioned' to disco - rather that was an outgrowth of the gay bars which were the original discos like the Continental Bathes where
Bette, Barbra, the Pointer Sisters, and so many others were catapulted
onto the larger scene. But with the advent of Glam rock combined with the infusion of lots of polyester covered straights (and the confused) who liked to dance along with the tramatized '*** hags' who felt safe hanging out with 'the girls', and amyl nitrate (poppers), you had Disco! Whoopee!

And punk , etc. was but another fracturing that quickly became dominated by college students driving about in their BMWs with dad's credit card, amazed at that 'new' song on the radio by some new(sic) band called "The Doors", as they profoundly and confidently proclaimed 'there's no future' ... Yeah, it was great...

But then the period typified by the mid 70's and since....Synth/Techno, rap, ebonics, boy bands, press one for English, American Idol, Britny,... has it really ended yet?! [:P]

Devolution at its finest...[;)]

because of the awesomely hideous 1974 chair fabric! What were they thinking...

Perhaps trying to match your outfit??

(trust me, I've got NO room to talk.... no pictures but remember guys wearing platform shoes? [:$])

Edit: now that I put my foot in my mouth, I wasn't really trying to say your outfit was hideous, was just picking on you , then it came out wrong, then I continued to babble..... sigh....

Just ban me

[*-)]

Richard, I just now noticed the description for your avatar! Very cute![:D]

But by mentioning that it is perceived as a swimming pool, aren't you being redundant?

[:D][:P][*-)][:o]

Thanks for joggin my memory of the "We don't swim in your toilet, please don't pee in our pool" signs installed in the dressing room of the neighborhood pool in Fairfax/Annandale back in the day!

[:D]