Matsushita introduces 150-inch TV

jacksonbart

Wow! More than 3000 sold to boot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22540733/

LAS VEGAS - Japanese electronics conglomerate Matsushita Electric Industrial on Monday introduced a 150-inch plasma television, which it says is the world's biggest.

The TV, unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, tops the Panasonic brand maker's 103-inch plasma TV released last year. The 103-inch television sold 3,000 units last year, Matsushita said.

Matsushita, the world's largest plasma TV maker, said the 12-1/2 foot (measured diagonally) TV, dubbed "Life Screen," would be available in 2009 at an undisclosed price, mainly for use as billboards.

post-16829-13819354964398_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Veldt...wait, that was a holodeck before StarTrek thought of it...

OK, Fahrenheight 451 with their video wall...

Can you imagine how glorious Okra would look on that...or the detail of the food fights on Jerry Springer... or Simon Cowl's scowl...or how much more intelligent Tyra Banks would sound...or, for that matter The View!...or re-runs of Green Acres!

We've got the makings of a great entertainment system...

Now, if only the programming (and a bit of common sense) warranted this.

I just have to ask at 12 feet+ does 1080p look impressive anymore??? remember the bigger the screen the more pixels needed so a 60 inch 1080p probably looks better at < 15 feet.

That's exactly what I was wondering! I gather there is an effort toward another round of escalating TV resolution. Research is apparently being done on "ultra-high definition video" according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p The # of frames per second rather than more lines of resolution is supposed to be among the limited available advances for home use.

While in Boise recently, I went to see the Metropolitan Opera's "high-def" simulcast of Humperdinck's Hansel and Gretel. Eight operas are being broadcast this year to select movie theaters around the world -- see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-720428.html. We thought it was OK, but had seen sharper and clearer movies before. It might have been hi-def in the home, but not so much in the movie house.

Also -- and I consider this important for theater speakers -- the electronics and speakers (JBL, I was told) were a very mixed bag: fabulous definition and black-silent background clear down to the bottom of the bass, but combined with congested, unclear and grainy highs.

Hi-def Met is being poorly marketed nationally and locally, and you're most likely to only find out about your local movie house production by word of mouth (!). They have to depend being able to work with existing movie theaters and chains, which are probably more interested in hi-buck movies than hi-def opera.