Tom half-time Petty

oldbuckster

The local radio folks were mocking it this morning, saying it was lip synched. I enjoyed it at the time, but I did think a particular guitar solo sounded identical to the recorded version. Really did not think too much about it since you can play something in your sleep if you play it enough times. Any one notice anything unusual or a dead giveaway about this? The back-up vocals seemed real enough to me.

Friend called to let GF know it was on but did not view. A band like Petty's do not need to resort to lip-sync in order to sound good, but can understand if a part was recorded just for quality of sound/acoustic sake.

Saw them on PBS this past Saturday night, 12 EST. Gainesville,Fl show Part 1 w/ Stevie Nix! ***Part 2 next Sat.night!

OK, the first song of the set - "American Girl" - Isn't that the song that the last victim of Buffalo BIll is singing right before she is abducted in the Silence of the Lambs? I don't think I will ever be able to separate that song again from the movie -

But I enjoyed the rest of it - Great game...

K

OK, the first song of the set - "American Girl" - Isn't that the song that the last victim of Buffalo BIll is singing right before she is abducted in the Silence of the Lambs? I don't think I will ever be able to separate that song again from the movie -

But I enjoyed the rest of it - Great game...

K

Your right, the senator's daughter has it playing in her Volvo 240 sedan as she pulls into to her apartment parking lot, while Buffalo Bill waits in the van with chair and a fake cast on his arm. She them offers him help on getting the chair into the van and wack! It puts the lotion in the basket otherwise it gets the hose.

Radio shows do need to talk about "something" I guess..... whatever floats there boats. They must be steering clear Britney now that they think she might actually be nuts? Maybe if they left the poor girl alone for a change?? Oh well, that's a whole 'nother, very sad story.

Any way, although I am not a diehard Petty fan, I did enjoy the group's performance yesterday. I thought they did a good job and the mix was nice, but we viewed it in our living room in Dolby ProLogic rather than in our theater in 7.1. Was it fake? I noticed nothing tell-tale, but then I wasn't "trying" to look for signs, either.

As our family dosen't care much for football (no flames please) we DVR'd the entire game in HD and watched it later to jump to the commercials (fairly disappointing this year, save for a few) and the halftime entertainment. I was happy to see the underdog win at the game's end, even though I really didn't care who won. From what I understand, it was a very exciting 4th quarter....or is it an "inning"? -JK LOL [6]

It's too bad the Pat's didn't get to celebrate their perfect score. I understand from my friend that they worked very hard all season. I imagine the Giants did, too.

As for the commercials; I laughed at the Bud Lite commercial where the guy shot flames from his mouth at the dinner table with his GF (poor cat). LOL Also, the Budwiser commercial where "Hank" the Clydesdale trains with the dalmation to make the "team" was cute. One or two of the on-line job-hunting web site commercials were funny, too. I think the jury is still out of the Dorito's commercial where the supposed, "giant mouse" opens up a can of whupass on the human for eating the "very cheesy" Doritos. -That's a bit of a stretch. LOL But, it's all good! -Glenn

• Moderators

Funny, I can't separate that song from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. When I hear it in Silence of the Lambs, it just doesn't have the sinister overtone for me!

Great game, though. I was happy for Eli!

One could imagine a 'requirement' that all SB halftime shows be 'pre-recorded' given the scandals of past years.

McCartney and the Rolling Stones were definitely live, and prince (or tafkap, or tafkapnkapa) was live too. I'm not knocking Petty and the heartbreakers at all, just wondering if the radio and papers are correct. Petty was requested (or told as a condition of performance) that he could not play "You Don't Know How it Feels" because of the lyric about rolling a joint, so there is for sure nfl direction on this, it's their halftime, but it's also not like Petty would pull a Jim Morrison just because he could.

Picky, we are fans of Tom Petty, love his songs, even his "Dylan of the south" vocal stylings. We enjoyed the show too. As I recall when Petty was talking about it, he envisioned an early beatles type of show effect, where you get on, play a few songs with enthusiasm, and then it's done. Seems to me they accomplished that. Nothing controversial or complicated or statement making, just a simple powerful mini-set. All I can say is if it was synched, then a special recording was made for the show, then synched, because it was not synched from the original lp recordings.

One could imagine a 'requirement' that all SB halftime shows be 'pre-recorded' given the scandals of past years.

McCartney and the Rolling Stones were definitely live, and prince (or tafkap, or tafkapnkapa) was live too. I'm not knocking Petty and the heartbreakers at all, just wondering if the radio and papers are correct. Petty was requested (or told as a condition of performance) that he could not play "You Don't Know How it Feels" because of the lyric about rolling a joint, so there is for sure nfl direction on this, it's their halftime, but it's also not like Petty would pull a Jim Morrison just because he could.

I wouldn't think Petty would pull a Morrison, but I wouldn't put it past the suit-dweebs/drunken lemurs to put such conditions on performers.

As a semi-OT aside, it annoys me to no end that "You Don't Know How it Feels" has been nuetered for airplay, at least here in the south. [:@]