Critical test Movies

colterphoto1

Guys, I need your help.

We're implementing a new media server listening system for our auditioning rooms. Engineering department is asking for our favorite tracks for critical listening. Could you guys give me some movies/concerts and tracks that are favorites of yours? These can be movies, concerts, or multi-channel DVDs.

Who knows, you might get to hear some of 'your' movies at the next Pilgrimage, played on the THX system (important disclaimer, I'm not suggesting that we will have THX setup this year)

I need Movie, important tracks, version (if available) and details as to why it would be a good audition track including any disinguishing trait for the movie/trck.

This list needs to be turned in by Monday 2/11 so would appreciate any input you can give. This same list will be posted in 2 channel and Home Theater Forums as we need tracks appropriate for all.

Thanks a bunch, I know I can always depend on my Forum Brothers!

Michael

The opening scene in the 10th Anniversay Edition of Toy Story 2 is pretty impressive.

The train rolling into the station in The Polar Express is great.

The tapping on the aquarium or submarine slip in Finding Nemo

The Incredibles is well incredible!

Depth charge scenes in U-571

There are countless others, are you looking for scenes or entire movies?

GACK... I can't belive this... I just deleted my page sigh

starting over

David Gilmour, Meltdown concert, opening parts with him alone on stage & the floor creaking & stuff...good detail, also High Hopes, Comfortably Numb and A Great Day for Freedom

David Gilmour, "Remember that night" and Echos. Though I can pass on the middle 5 minutes of drug induced sound, they RIP it up with that and the visuals are excellent!!

Frampton, Live in Detroit, lots of good songs & good visuals

George Harrison, A tribute to George, lots of good songs & lots of talent on the stage

Roger Waters, In the Flesh, good stuff

INXS, "Live baby Live", I like the intro as band coming out with the kickdrum hitting hard, much like Hotel Calif, has good room pressure [A]

Chicago live (don't recall name of dvd) but it's good. Maybe not recorded as well as some of above and unfortanately, only handful of original members

Cat Stevens "Majakat" From the 70's and the visuals show it but it's a nice show, good songs

I'm not too impressed with Pulse visually although (especially having been there to see it in Nashville) that rendition of Comfortably Numb is very good and the LAST LAST piece of Run Like Hell, very end when they blow up the round screen... just explodes into the room

Queen, Queen on fire, works for me

Queen, Return of the champions (without Freddie and with Paul Rodgers), nice acoustic guitar on love of my life... (can a guitar that's plugged in, be acoustic?)

Eagles as already mentioned

Diana of course...(Krall) although I don't listen to her much

Carol King, "Welcome to my living room" Bought this for the wife and it's surprisingly good and we all know how these women love "Tapestry"

According to the Eagles HD DVD I have... tracks 8 (Lyin Eyes), 20 (Sunset Grill), 26 (Hotel California with a great trumpet solo opening), and 29 (Take it easy). Might as well add 30 in there (Desperado - some nice piano and solo vox)

I don't know what the track numbers would be on the standard def DVD - but I am told that both of the DVDs sound worlds better than the CD release.

I think that as a percussionist - I must put in a recommendation for the Phil Collins "Finally... The First Farewell Tour" DVD... Track 1 - Drums, Drums & More Drums

That track is a lot of fun :D

Star Wars II - Attack of the Clones: The initial scenes where the large chrome ship flies into the screen from the rear and later explodes on the landing pad. The explosion will shake the house! If you could toss in a little heat it would feel like you were there. Four Corns, an Academy, and an SVS sub make this great but hide the wife's nick nacks (believe me...I have broken a few!).

Jurassic Park III: Chapter 5 where the plane is turning and the camera passes through the props and the plane crashs through the trees in the jungle 21:23 to 25:39. Same chapter, the fight between the two dinosaurs 26:49 to 27:34.

These are the two DVDs I pull out when I want to show off the system.

Few movies:

From the Hulk, the scene where the helocopter chases his through the canyon

House of Flying Daggers, the scene where she hits all those drums around her.

A few scenes from the Master and Commander are great.

The launch sequence from Apollo 13

A ton of scenes from Saving Private Ryan

There are a ton of great scenes out, I am about to compile a decent sized list of them then burn me a dvd.

-Eric

In no particular order:

• Super Speedway - Mario and Michael Andretti: IMAX Documentry narrated by Paul Newman (1998)
    • Track 7 "Testing" - seems to alter the air pressure in my room - Colter is my witness!
  • Master and Commander: The far side of the world - Russell Crowe (2004)
    • Attack Begins
  • Open Range - Kevin Costner, Robert Duval (2003)
    • The Gunfight Begins
  • The Living Sea - IMAX Documentry - narrated by Glenn Close (1995)
    • Soundtrack (features Sting) is amazing from beginning to end
  • The Matrix - Keanu Reeves (1999)
    • Lobby Shootout
  • Finding Nemo - Animated (2001)
    • The Abyss (commonly referred to as the "Sub-slide Scene")
  • Behind Enemy Lines - Owen Wilson (2001)
    • Christmas Reconnaissance
  • Ice Age - Animated (2002)
    • Opening Sequence with Acorn and Squirrel
  • Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
    • Meet the pod racers
  • War of the Worlds - Tom Cruise (2005)
    • Any of the opening first 20 minutes
  • Heart: Alive in Seattle - Ann & Nancy Wilson (2002)
    • Any of the tracks is good, especially the opening "Crazy on you"
  • Pink Floyd: Pulse - The band minus Roger Waters (1994/2006)
    • Every song is a sonic experience

I'll add more as they come to me.

"300" HD-DVD Blu-ray
1. Chap 1 (0:01:10)
2. Chap 20 (1:10:00)
3. Chap 20 (1:11:40)

"The Bourne Ultimatum" HD-DVD
1. Chap 1 (0:00:27) 23Hz
2. Chap 1 (0:01:05) 20Hz
3. Chap 1 (0:03:49) 20Hz

"Finding Nemo" DD-EX THX Blu-ray
1. Darla Taps Tank, Chap 25 (1:18:16)

"Flight of the Phoenix"
1. Chap 6 (0:14:33)
2. Chap 6 (0:15:16)
3. Chap 6 (0:15:35)
4. Chap 6 (0:15:46) 20Hz

"Ghost Rider" DTS Blu-ray
1. Chap 3 (0:09:30) 40Hz
2. Chap 3 (0:10:55) 32Hz
3. Chap 3 (0:11:54) 28Hz
4. Chap 4 (0:12:37) 5-20Hz

"The Incredibles" DD-EX THX
1. Building Comes Down, Chap 6 (0:22:59)

"Transformers" HD-DVD
6. Chap 6 (0:27:45)
7. Chap 8 (0:38:55)
8. Chap 8 (0:39:15)
9. Chap 8 (0:39:50 - 0:40:03)
10. Chap 8 (0:43:00)

enjoy!! I did [:D]

I'd second the Diana Krall "Live in Paris" DVD, if only because you get to see two Jazz masters - John Clayton on Bass and Jeff Hamilton on Drums - in action.

I'd also recommend the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense." In my view, the best recording of a rock concert ever made. I was tempted to pop it in to pick out individual tracks, but it's the middle of the afternoon and I'm supposed to be working.... Off the top of my head I'd say track 6: "Burning Down the House" and track 15: "Take Me to the River."

James

A couple favorites for me are:

Master and Commander, the opening battle. With everything set up properly, you feel like you are below deck on the ship and can hear cannons rolling around above your head. Also, lots of sounds coming from every direction.

Open Range. The big showdown, gunfight. Don't want to spoil it for folks who haven't seen the movie, but it is awesome.

I can get you the chapter numbers later.

Guys,

Sounds like he needs specific track #s. Go home tonight and look at the scene selections then post again.

Love,

Gary

Thanks Gary. Yes our committee will have to locate all these critical LISTENING section (sorry we're not too interested in the light shows and visual performance), so I really need the song title or better yet track # of the disc in order for it to even be considered. There are only about 8 of us submitting lists but everything selected for the music server will have to be purchased copies of the selections so we are being pretty selective.

Keep bringing em in guys, but put a couple on this weekend if you can and give me a KILLER track or two from your faves for consideration- Thanks!

And does anybody know where any of those old 'best of' threads are?

Peace,

Michael