SET amps.............

SWL

I just started getting into tubes less than a year ago.........thank you very much.[:D]

In my two-channel set up I have RB-75's powered by a JM Peach ll and an Eastern Electric Mini Max tube amp (push pull). As good as this sounds, I will be getting rid of the Mini Max this weekend. Unfortunately, not quite enough output.

I've been reading that the low powered SET amps are the ticket for horns. Would a SET amp be suitable for the Peach/RB-75 combo?

What would be a reasonable price for a used SET amp?

The whole "Home Theatre Experience" has pretty much came and went with me. No more excitement with it. No big surprises, just headaches. Vibrating seats, cheezy surround effects etc.[|-)]

Two speakers and tubes glowing has really made me enjoy music all over again.[:D]

Thanks, Scott.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest listening to pair of SET amp from a forum member. I believe that there are a few members with SET amps close to where you live. I live in the Minneapolis area and you would be welcome to hear a pair of 45 amps or 2A3 SET amps with Klipschorn/Altec midrange at my place. Even though I'm probably about 5-6 hours from where you live. Unless of course you get to this area once in awhile.

Audition first, before you buy. Much cheaper that way and big speakers are heavy.

If what you have is a push-pull, most SETs aren't going to be what you want. Does your MiniMax use the 6BM8 tube? This is pretty much the power you will get from a SET:

A SET made with a 45 output tube is only about 1.5 watts,

2A3 tube about 3.5 watts,

300B tube 8-10 watts.

You can get some SET amps made with higher powered exotic tubes, but they will cost you a lot more money.

YMMV

Bruce

I would suggest listening to pair of SET amp from a forum member. I believe that there are a few members with SET amps close to where you live. I live in the Minneapolis area and you would be welcome to hear a pair of 45 amps or 2A3 SET amps with Klipschorn/Altec midrange at my place. Even though I'm probably about 5-6 hours from where you live. Unless of course you get to this area once in awhile.

Audition first, before you buy. Much cheaper that way and big speakers are heavy.

Thank you very much for the opportunity. Yes, just putting the RB-75's (bookshelf version of the RF-7) in the back seat to go for a listen would be a great idea.

You said a "pair" of 45 amps. Are these SET amps two-channel or mono-blocks?

Oh Oh! --- If you can put your speakers in the back seat, they are probably not efficient enough for a Low Powered SET amp, as you mentioned. I am not familar with your speakers, but if they are that small, they are probably not going to cut it for 45 amps. My pair of 45 amps are monoblocks.

Most SET devotees, have the SET amps and then go shopping for speakers to 'fit' the amps. Not the other way around. I still would suggest listening to as many setups as you can. Once I heard SET amps, I knew I had to own them and then I went speaker shopping.

Oh Oh! --- If you can put your speakers in the back seat, they are probably not efficient enough for a Low Powered SET amp, as you mentioned. I am not familar with your speakers, but if they are that small, they are probably not going to cut it for 45 amps. My pair of 45 amps are monoblocks.

Most SET devotees, have the SET amps and then go shopping for speakers to 'fit' the amps. Not the other way around. I still would suggest listening to as many setups as you can. Once I heard SET amps, I knew I had to own them and then I went speaker shopping.

I guess I'll bring em back in the house now.[:P]

I just posted in the "garage sale" section an add for my John Hogan integrated SET amp. Long story short, I own two of them, both bought sight-unseen and unheard. No dissappointment whatsoever. I will also have one John Hogan and eventually pass it down to one of my kids.

For me, there is something so right, that only a good SET can do.

You might also want to find out about OTL amps.

I've had a pair of Wright 2A3 amps (sounded great but I sold them) and a pair of Transcendent SE-OTL amps which also sounded great and I also sold...however... I sold all those because I simply needed more oomph than they provided me.

Given that, I found the SE-OTL amps (I had them bridged at 4 wpc) sounded better than the 2A3 amp did...even my wife and her sister made comments one night how "real" the system sounded (full signal with Khorns)

I'd personally like to find some bigger OTL amps when I dive back into that arena and see what they do for me

Not trying a highjack but does anyone have a schematic for the Mini Max?

With some major help from MikeBSE2a3 I'm restoring a 6BM8 homebrew and running into noise problems. I'd really like to see how they did thiers.

A SET amp can be very rewarding with the proper setup. My SET amp is a DIY using Eimac 75TL outputs and my speakers are of course Khorns. My amp is capable of 6 watts with plate voltage of 485V that I'm currently using, but I normally run the amp at a comfortable listening level of about 1/10 of a watt. With my current setup I get all the power I need to drive my Khorns to very loud levels without distortion. The key to having a sucessful SET amp is very efficient speakers, no less than 102db @ 1 watt IMO, the lower the efficiency of the speaker the harder it will be for the SET to drive them at higher levels without distortion. I have had all kinds of tube amps, Marantz 8b, Eico HF-87, Dynaco ST-70, etc. and my current SET amp blows them all away. Don't get me wrong, push-pull amps sound wonderful and pack quite a nice punch, but they are no match for a nice SET amp setup IMHO.

Seems like everyone misses their SET amps. What's going on there?

I had a major lapse in judgement and sold my Canary Audio CA-300 and George Wright Preamp. The PP fans were so rabid about how bad SET was I decided to try them out. After trying a couple the only thing they don't do that I miss is the 3d like soundstage. I like most tube amps just different flavors for different people.

I just posted in the "garage sale" section an add for my John Hogan integrated SET amp. Long story short, I own two of them, both bought sight-unseen and unheard. No dissappointment whatsoever. I will also have one John Hogan and eventually pass it down to one of my kids.

For me, there is something so right, that only a good SET can do.

I've heard good things about those amps. What do you think they do best? How would you describe the sound?

The sound is just so musical. There is just something so right when I hook it up. What stands out to me is not only the heavenly midrange (not overdone or overstated) and the presentation of the voices and instruments.