Who Currently Makes The Best Damm Speakers

Gilbert

I'd like to set the cap on cost to say, $18,000.

Plain and simple, who makes the best damm home speakers you've ever listened too. Make and model please.

Speakerwise, my personal listening experience is severely limited to 3 brands. I know the subject is completely subjective.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B&W Signature 800's...because I just bought a pair.

"Conclusion The B&W Signature 800 is a great speaker—perhaps the best I've ever heard at home..."

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/600/

At CES 2008 the Wilson WP8's were outstanding, but with about $100,000 of front end gear and they are almost $30,000 a pair. The Revel Saloon's, at about the $18,000 price were a definite standout, even among much more expensive speakers.

My B&W N801's get my vote too. They have the qualities that everyone raves about in the Tecktons, but can go loud and dynamic without breaking up. It took a lot of equipment changes to get them to this point.

post-10861-1381936630392_thumb.jpg

Hey Tiger, I know you had a pair of Khorns for some time. Would you say that the Khorns fall Short or Way Short of the B&W setup?

I listened to the B&W n800 Sig. at Audio Advice in Raleigh, NC with 400 Watt AR Monoblocks and they were nothing short of amazing. That was with 40K in gear and in a perfect acousically tuned room.

It wouldn't really be a fair comparison due to the different requirements of gear to get the B&Ws to perform.

My vote would still be for a pair of 1978-79 Klipschorns with maybe some fresh caps and mybe new diaphragms to "freshen them up". I think for the money, the sound is just very hard to beat. I've owned JBL's, AR's, etc. Heard B&W's (just recently), and still find myself looking at my Khorns. Eventually a pair of Jubilees, but then again, that was Paul Klipsch's final evolution of the Klipschorn. Just my thoughts.

Mark,

I understand your point about this being the Klipsch website, but I would never let the that influence my opinion. I may be allot of things, but being a flake or being wishy washy has never been one of them.

I thank you for the heads up on the Klipsch Pallidium's; I think their beautiful, and I sure would love to hear a pair. Maybe Trey will light up a pair next time the gathering is at Hope. I will attend for that reason alone, if nothing else. But of course I would love to meet with you, and some of the other guys that I'd been conversing with these past 4 or 5 years.

And I do love my Klipsch Heritage speakers, all 25 of them; But that is not to say I wouldn't mind selling-off some of them to help finance a pair of speakers that will sound much better. Difficult to do, I think, but not impossible.

I have been contemplating the idea of new speakers for some time, but only now am I begining to ask other people about what speakers they like or would buy or own.

<Looking up at the logo at the top of the web pageEmbarrassed>

JBL?

Besides Klipsch? For under $10,000 I'd buy the MG 20.1 Magneplanars. Auditioned a pair when I bought the MGLR1s back in '99 and it was by far the best my ears have ever heard! But that's just me...