Did your taste in music change...

Chris A

...when you significantly upgraded your system, i.e., acquired much better speakers?

I find myself listening to jazz, blues combos and small groups but my taste in rock, etc., declined rapidly probably due to the lack of dynamics and musical "realism" on much popular material. I also find myself listening to "live" classical recordings of the American- versus European-engineered taste.

Did this happen to you?

If it didn't, what did your tastes change toward?

Chris

I try Jazz, just not into it .............. Rock is where I live, but that has sorta' toned down abit ....... Always liked the Hair-Bands, now I find I laugh at them .... More into SOLO efforts .......... Like The Band, really Like Levon Helm ........... Like Ten Years After, really like Alvin Lee ........ I overlooked Delbert McClinton, now one of my favorites ............ 70's Classic Rock is where my heart is, don't wander much from that ...... Love any kinda' Rock or Blues with HORN sections ............. AC/DC, Ozzie, Rainbow, Outlaws, Allman's, all kinda' moved to the rear of the bus, so to speak ............. I do tend to like LIVE Music as opposed to studio ...............

Yeah..........70's and 80's hard rock for me, probably forever. Heavy metal is wearing out very quickly.

In the last couple of years in this hobby..........I'm intrigued by smooth jazz. Not to crazy about classic jazz but smooth jazz's sound quality blows me away. I started listening to it on Sirius.........got to know some of the names and proceeded to buy quite a few cd's now. It makes a beer drinker like me want to start drinking wine.[D]

Basically, this hobby has turned a metal head like me into someone that is on a quest to find anything that sounds good. Klipsch speakers made that possible.[:D]

I still love rock and roll as well, but I must admit I am enjoying classical music alot. There just seems to be more going on compared to a 4 piece r/r band. I thoroughly enjoy listening to the fine intricacies with an orchestra, there is just so many things to listen to and with a good setup you can really appreciate just what is going on. That being said I am like OB and rock in roll will always be numero uno.

Yes, Jazz and "unplugged" music. New jazz is very well recorded. Thery actually use the dynamic range instead of compressign everything inot the top 3 db.

If you have a computer in your system try Pandora. Free streaming music all day long. Any kind you like. You can create your own "stations" and tell it if you like a song or not. It will search for songs like the ones that you like.

My taste in music still favors classic rock, but now I ENJOY a wide range of music. Good is good no matter what flavor. I listen to a variety of stuff but never Rap. In my book that is not music. Light Jazz, Classical, Country, R&B, Blue Grass, Punk Rock (my youngest favorite) and Standards are all good. If it's good my ears tell me so. Way back in College I took a Music Appreciation class that really made me think about music and expanded my listening pleasure. My Grandmother played the Harmonica until she passed away at 96, one of my favorite aunts and her husband were in bands most of there adult lives. My older sister plays piano as does my sister in law. I played guitar when I was younger. I am open to new and still enjoy the old, I could listen every waking hour of the day. If I could just find a job that would pay me to do that I would have it made.

My taste in music still favors classic rock, but now I ENJOY a wide range of music. Good is good no matter what flavor. I listen to a variety of stuff but never Rap. In my book that is not music. Light Jazz, Classical, Country, R&B, Blue Grass, Punk Rock (my youngest favorite) and Standards are all good. If it's good my ears tell me so.

When I had Heresys and then KLF 20s I pretty much played 70s, 80s, and 90s rock with a little modern jazz.

Then got my La Scalas and upgraded my whole system and my music tastes has changed.

I agree with nomad02rider now I am open to most types of music as long as it is a good recording.

Labels, labels, and more labels .................... Good Music is Good Music, no matter what label you put on it ...... the fact that you upgrade your equipment should really have no bearing on what you like ................. IT'S THE MUSIC, Not the EQUIPMENT, ... again !!!!!!!!!

Age and your tastes changing has more to do with it than Up-Graded equipment .................

I grew up on classical music as a kid, but mostly towards compositions written for the pipe organ (since my dad worked for organ manufacturers/service firms for most of my life), that's what I grew to appreciate even with my very first stereo system as an 11 year old! Even with many system upgrades throughout the years, classical organ music is still pretty much my number one standard that's only improved with better equipment.

I also still dig classic rock from the late '60s thru the early '80s, but I have noticed I don't listen to it quite as much as I used to...don't know why, really, I'm not tired of it in the least (just finished listening to Dave Mason's '70 album "Alone Together" if that means anything).

I listen to classic jazz, blues and ambient/space music (synthesizers) off and on...always have since I can remember...

Actually, my musical tastes really haven't changed at all since aquiring better components over the course of 33+ years. I've enjoyed all these genres of music ever since I was 11, and in the same capacity.

6 or 7 years ago I was a pretty staunch 70, 80 and 90's rock and roll fan (not much metal though). The last 3 or 4 years my taste has branched off into everything under the sun. You name it and I listen to it. The only music to date I can just not seem to stomach much of is the "Random Horn blowing" Jazz stuff, Rapp music and much of the hard rock today (those modern guitar rockers over use the distortion pedal if you ask me).

Craig

My musical tastes have always been fairly broad, especially on the live music front - but I find that I purchase more material that is out of my core interests (core interests being classic rock and "jamband" music). I listen to MUCH more jazz at home now that I have systems that can make the most of it, and find myself focusing in on recordings in my collection that are worthy of play in good systems.

I get a bit disgruntled with some of the lesser quality recordings of music that I otherwise really like. Having VRDs and MC30s with top shelf caps tend to require premium recordings to make the listening experience worth it. My next project will address this, as I have another pair of MC30 which will be rebuilt with the specific intent of "buttering up" some of those not so good/"dead" sounding recordings.

Change music preference,NEVER,Long Live Rock! If your set can't play your long loved music and make it sound at least good,you need to change your set,NOT your music.Playing music that sounds great on a clock radio then thinkin' how great it sounds on your set is kinda like foolin yourself,it sounds good on any set.

That's not to say finding new music to listen to is bad,just don't forget why/how you developed your love for music,for me,a screemin' guitar.

Well,

The score to this moment is (apparently):

Nine have essentially agreed that their tastes have changed, probably due to
the quality of their setups,

Two have said no, their tastes haven't changed

Two are "maybe's"

But that isn't the whole story: two have ascribed their change in tastes
to "maturity" and one more has mentioned that it is basically a
combination of increased rig quality and "maturity".

You might ask, "why did I ask this question”? Well, one of the
fellas that I have talked to about my change in music preferences expressed
concerns that his tastes would change too when he got new speakers (and I'll
let you figure you which kind of speakers I'm talking about...).

This surprised me to no end—why would someone be concerned that their
musical tastes might change if they got new speakers? Maybe there is something to this idea of “maturity”
and changing tastes, but maybe that taste change is connected to the improved
quality of sound.

Any opinions here?

To listen to just one type of music, you are cheating yourself. I collect 70's Rock and Roll, because that's what I want, but I also listen to other music. I really have grown fond of Big Band Music, I don't like jazz, but am growing to like Jaco Pastoruis, I also like Old Standards, I like Old Country, and my car radio is now set to all college stations, and they're all over the musical landscape. Trust me, in my 20's and 30's, I wouldn't listen to such noise, but I find the older I get, the broader the music range becomes, has nothing to do with equipment. I think you know good music when you hear it, and you don't need good equipment to appreciate it. Good Music was around long before people owned stereo gear ............. EH !!!!!!!!

...why would someone be concerned that their
musical tastes might change if they got new speakers?

I do have a notion: all of us to some extent use our old music to cling to preferred memories. Anything that might distance us from those pleasant memories of the past, well, might not be welcomed. Some folks just might need to connect more tightly with those memories than others.

Any other notions?

Chris