To hell with monster cable

damonrpayne

That letter. and especially the following extract, is legal poetry repeat poetry !

Once I have received the above materials and explanations from you, I will undertake to analyze this information and let you know whether we are willing to accede to any of the demands made in your letter. If my analysis shows that there is any reasonable likelihood that we have infringed in any way any of Monster Cable's intellectual property rights, we will of course take any and all action necessary to resolve the situation. If I do not hear from you within the next fourteen days, or if I do hear from you but do not receive all of the information requested above, I will assume that you have abandoned these claims and closed your file.

The writer is keeping control over what would appear to be legal bullying by Monster. He/she is being responsive and not ignoring the matter, is calling their bluff, stipulates a date certain for them to get back to him, and puts the ball right back in their court. Beautiful!

I seem to recall from reading around that the Bose Corp. is also one legally zealous outfit. So is the Disney Co. Be that what it may, you have to give this writer credit for standing up. If Monster does have a case, the door is still open for them to try to make it. If not, so be that, too.

(I have always been skeptical of exotic cable claims. My Klipschorns do fine on quality, but not Monster, 12- or 14 guage.)

Guest srobak

I seem to recall from reading around that the Bose Corp. is also one legally zealous outfit. So is the Disney Co.

Toss Mattel in there too. Back in the dawn of web pages, a former boss was huge on Barbies... designed and devoted an entire website to it - had forum, information, chronology, links to Barbie traders, links to anything that Mattel had online, etc etc etc... seriously the ultimate Barbie enthusiasts website. Existed for a few years and surely generated some business for the new market as well as the used/old/collector market.

Received a C&D letter with loads of very harsh and threatening legal language, etc. She sent them a nastygram in return, advised all her Barbie-ites about the bullying, then took the site down. I believe she then burned all her dolls.

Another friend registered maglight.com many years ago - which Mag Industries did NOT have a trademark on - they had Mag-Lite, and they went after him. This was the guy's nickname online, and he was also a very heavy promoter of Mag-Lites. He was a volunteer firefighter, and very much involved in the online fire services communities. His website was mostly personal, had re-directs to Mag's corporate pages, etc, disclaimers he was not affiliated, yadda yadda... they claimed losses and damages - which of course was impossible.

He sent them all his Mag-Lites, switched him and his entire department to StreamLight instead, his department took the cutters from their extrication tools to all their Mag-Lites, and shipped them destroyed back to Mag. He too posted his situation to the online communities, and several law enforcement, fire and EMS types (including myself) sent their Mags to the company in various conditions, included nasty-grams, etc... They ended up dropping the suit, and some years later bought the domain from him for only a couple hundred bucks.

Gotta love it.

I personally think he made a mistake by writing this letter to the other lawyers.

It would have been much better to wait to put this in front of the judge at the intial hearing, then ask for an immediate dismissal. Showing his homework and the lack of claim, the judge would dismiss this in a heartbeat making it much harder for Monster to make another claim against them or any other compititon.

JM

• Moderators

Hey Studiorat. Welcome to the forums! I was thinking about that statement guessing that Blue Jeans Cable probably was not that large. Just goes to show you that even small companies can become very successful and provide a great product. Thanks!