Cheater Plugs - GFCIs and a Power Washer.......................

Cut-Throat

I washed my garage today. My neighbor lent me his power washer. It was interesting to me that the Power Washer had a 2 prong power plug, but it had a GFCI built into the plug, complete with re-set button. They were not taking any chances. They knew that while you were power washing a garage floor, you were standing in water and the danger of electrocution was many times greater than listening to an audio system. Their solution was a 2 prong plug with GFCI.

There are a handful of individuals here that are always looking out for our safety. Hopefully they will chime in with as much enthusiasm for GFCI protected circuits as they did campaigning against 'cheater plugs' - So the safest and cheapest solution to defeat a ground loop problem is to lift the ground of the power plug with a 'cheater plug' and to install a GFCI circuit on the outlet or the Circuit Breaker itself. According to the NEC (National Electric Code) you will be far safer than anyone listening to their stereo with a 3 prong grounding scheme without a GFCI.

Saving us all from Audio Electrocution - One of the biggest problems affecting Audiophiles in the World Today!

Well, yeh. As long as you use audiophile quality cheater plugs and GFCI circuitry. [;)]

What a waste to have a nice high dollar A/C cord for the CDP and then plug it into a cheap two prong adapter.

But, wait, brilliant pebbles to the rescue.

Unfortunately, some people still don't grasp the fact that devices designed and sold with a two prong plug are manufactured differently than a 3 prong device. ( NOTE: to those home-brew amp makers this does not apply apparently )

Two words... double insulated !!!! Best two word sentence ever.

Removing or defeating the safety grounding pin does not magically transform your three prong plug into a two prong'd device with double insulation.

It does however increase the chances that you may get a shock from an internal fault, just like drinking and driving increases your chances of wrecking your vehicle.

Unfortunately, some people still don't grasp the fact that devices designed and sold with a two prong plug are manufactured differently than a 3 prong device. ( NOTE: to those home-brew amp makers this does not apply apparently )

Two words... double insulated !!!! Best two word sentence ever.

Removing or defeating the safety grounding pin does not magically transform your three prong plug into a two prong'd device with double insulation.

It does however increase the chances that you may get a shock from an internal fault, just like drinking and driving increases your chances of wrecking your vehicle.

What you fail to grasp is that defeating the safety ground with a cheater plug and adding a GFCI to the circuit is far SAFER than using a 3 prong plug without a GFCI. - You happen to be what is called a 'Right-Fighter' rather than offering any useful information.

"Hey........what if you plugged a cheater plug into a GFI ? Would that be the ultimate protection or a hazard?"

I can't tell you to use a ground lift with a GFI for legal reasons.

(but that actually works quite well)

The GFI does not need a ground to work properly.