Going away from Khorns and vinyl

mowntnbkr

Am I crazy or does this make sense. My room is small (11.5x14x9). Using the long wall is out of the question, so my sweet spot is about 6" away from the Khorns. I was thinking of going to another reference series, another set of RF 83's or 7's if I can find them. My reasoning is that I can align them so the sweet spot is where my chair normally sits. I have my vert. cornwalls but they are pullng duty in my shop/garage and I would like to keep them there.Am I crazy or does it seem logical considering my room size. I love the Khorns, but just feel I am not doing them any justice in such a confined area. Thoughts on this please.

Also because I am going away from vinyl, I am selling my BBX and Thorens. Any takers out there?

Let me say this about that.

I regretted selling my first set for Fortee II's until the day I bought another set (even though I own several (several) other sets of klipsch speakers.

It does sound like a waste of k-horns in that set-up, but mark my word.

You will regret getting rid of your khorns.

I myself wouldn't be enthusiastic about doing either of those things. I really like my Heritage, and I have lots of good vinyl. Are Cornwalls a solution for you? And what are the problems with the vinyl?

You gotta be sure the RF-83s or RF-7s will be a satisfactory change. It wouldn't be to me, but then I've been used to Heritage for decades.

Larry

If you like the CW's, then Sell the KHorns and get Another set of CW's..................just my 2Cents............Good Luck with whatever you Decide.

Plus you'd have money left over for more Toys ! (I know, don't feed the addiction !)

I would agree with this, my k-horns are in a small room 14x18x8. I do use an SET amp and only play them at about 95-100 db max once in a while, They however sound way too good to think about getting rid of them. Besides that I don't know if I could find anything I like to replace them, I have grown acustom to their sound. This is just my opinion.

Jay

Nearfield can be a great way to listen to Khorns. I'd rather have the perfect room and plan to someday, but for now I'll suffer with what I have. My room is 13 x 24 x8 but I sit about 7 feet from the speakers since they're on the short wall. Nobody (with the exception of Mr. Colter - wink, wink) has ever complained about the sound.

I'm going the opposite direction of you- I got rid of my 5.1 surround system with RF-5's for mains and went with 2 channel when I bought my Khorns. I would like to continue my "upgrade" with a tube system and a better turntable. Maybe I will add on to my vinyl collection wich stands at 5 lp's right now. I have a thousand CD's, and some sound great, but most can't compare to the sound of vinyl, even on my old tt. I might be interested in your Thorens, but probably can't afford it. I love my Mac solid state gear, but I have a feeling I'll like tubes even better! --kevin

post-28686-1381937419828_thumb.jpg

I'm going the opposite direction of you- I got rid of my 5.1 surround system with RF-5's for mains and went with 2 channel when I bought my Khorns. I would like to continue my "upgrade" with a tube system and a better turntable. Maybe I will add on to my vinyl collection wich stands at 5 lp's right now. I have a thousand CD's, and some sound great, but most can't compare to the sound of vinyl, even on my old tt. I might be interested in your Thorens, but probably can't afford it. I love my Mac solid state gear, but I have a feeling I'll like tubes even better! --kevin

86 posts and the poor guy already has a full blown case of the madness...[;)]

Dave

Am I crazy or does this make sense. My room is small (11.5x14x9). Using the long wall is out of the question, so my sweet spot is about 6" away from the Khorns. I was thinking of going to another reference series, another set of RF 83's or 7's if I can find them. My reasoning is that I can align them so the sweet spot is where my chair normally sits. I have my vert. cornwalls but they are pullng duty in my shop/garage and I would like to keep them there.Am I crazy or does it seem logical considering my room size. I love the Khorns, but just feel I am not doing them any justice in such a confined area. Thoughts on this please.

Also because I am going away from vinyl, I am selling my BBX and Thorens. Any takers out there?

With such a short distance to your listening chair, your suggestion of RF-83s or RF-7s looks good (2-way speakers). I'd also recommend looking at JubScalas if you want to retain Heritage-like sound. I believe that the problem with such a short listening distance with
the Khorns is their separate midrange/tweeter horns interacting with each
other in the vertical axis in the near field.

You could use the K-510 horns to save volume/area, but you will be sacrificing constant directivity between about 1500 Hz to 500 Hz, which will make human voices sound a little strange if you don't use ceiling-mounted diffusers and some sort of carpet on the floor. Below about 400-500 Hz, the ear can't really tell any difference separating the lf driver.

BTW - I understand about the vinyl. I listen to my old LPs very sporadically--basically when I'm looking for something that I haven't heard in a long while.

Regards,

Chris

I am always concerned when folks let their Klipschorns go. It is a hard speaker to beat. Perhaps there are some alternatives.

1. Construct backs for the cabinets (like the 60th anniversary edition). Kevin showed a picture above. He and others have posted photos on how to do this. This will allow more latitude in the placement and how they are toed in.

2. If the sweet spot is small, then sometimes an additive center channel can help (search the various threads). The enter channel does not have to be full bandwidth and it actually the cabinet does not absolutely need to be the same caliber as the Klipschorn. Since the center is actually adjusted to be several dB lower than the L & R it does not contribute as much. For awhile I used a Heresy in the center between the 2 K-Horns. It made the center image more stable and the sweet spot was bit wider. Of course the Cornwall is a better choice for a center, but I was still impressed with the Heresy and they do not cost much. I did high-pass the signal (capacitor in series) to the Heresy so it would not corrupt the low freq response from the Klipschorns.

Keep these alternatives in mind. In fact why not try an extra speaker in the center (several dB below the L & R). Don't worry about the quality of the speaker or the amp at this point. Just give it listen to see if the concept might be helpful. BTW: the center box is just a handful of resistors and a pot - radio shack parts and need not be expensive. It is a worthwhile experiment. BTW installing backs on the K-Horns is also a DIY project and can be knocked out in a weekend (minus finishes / painting etc).

Good Luck,

-Tom

I'm forced to use a short wall too -- it's a hair over 13' long. After I bought my Klipschorns it didn't take me long to figure out that I needed to build false corners so I could get them off the walls and toe them in. I don't know what some around here are hearing, but having two K400's practically shooting into each other didn't sound all that great to me. The top section sounded good if you were standing six feet back, but that was about it. Bass performance was acceptable, but not even in the same class as what I had after I got them out of the corners and turned into the room. People need to think about how the sound propogates out of a splayed LF horn, and the interaction and interference that takes place when the inside sections (sound from the right side of the left speaker and sound from the left side of the right speaker) are close together -- and firing right into each other. Even with false corners or set up optimally on a longer wall, you still need to be at least 12' back for the bass to sum properly. So, if you don't have false corners and can't meet the miniumum required distance for listening -- use something else.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I think I have a solution, I just had to think outside the box. My wife (God Love Her) said she didn't mind if I moved my 2 ch. gear into the living room and turn my little room into the HT area. I really don't want to get rid of the Khorns and I think this will work. The Khorns will still be in corners that are12" apart (fireplace faces diagonally into the room), but the room itself is 17" x 30 including the open area into the kitchen. I am hoping this will give them alot more area to 'breathe', we shall see. I will look more at Kevins solution. I am assuming all I have to do is just close off the backs, similar to the Jub's or is there more to it than that?

Dean, I saw your Khorns at Bob's, they sure are nice and he really likes them, has them in a nice setup. Bob is a 10 and has really helped me out.

The main reason for going away from vinyl is I just don't have the time for it. I have 3 kids, and between Horses, karate, piano, guitar.....etc. I don't have the time to just sit and listen. I just throw a CD in and I don't have to worry about it. I will keep all my vinyl and get another TT down the road some. If any one is interested, I have a nice BlueBerry Xtreme for sale and my Thorens TD160. The Thorens has a 3009 SII improved. I just had Alfred Kayser rewire the tonearm and also put an original SME adapter plate on it. It has a very nice walnut/maple plinth and comes with an Audio Technica OC-9. I will sell the two together for 1600.00 or break it up. I am not getting any hits in the Garage sale area and would rather see these to someone here.

It's nice that you figured out a way to keep them, the Klipschorns are truly awesome when they're set up right. Closing off the backs is a good thing if you have some basic woodworking skills.

"The main reason for going away from vinyl is I just don't have the time for it. I have 3 kids, and between Horses, karate, piano, guitar.....etc. I don't have the time to just sit and listen. I just throw a CD in and I don't have to worry about it."

I heard that. I've got five kids and I'm in and out of the house so much I feel like a taxi service. When I finally get a chance to just sit in front of the system I'm almost as interested in going to sleep as I am engaging with the music or movie. I'm definitely to the point where I've lost all interest in fiddling, nitpicking about every nuance, etc.

Yeah, Bob D. is first rate. The sound from the Klipschorns really came together for him after he dropped in a set of Al's ESNs. I guess he's still struggling with the Jubilee set up downstairs?

Yeah, Bob is having issues, but dang they still sound nice. He said come he** or high water he is going to make it work. He has been out of town on a "run" and has let me play with his Alesis Masterlink and also let me borrow his Marantz SA-8001, man is that a nice unit. I will be getting one very soon.

I am curious, why is there such a fuss over false corners, if the easy fix is to just close offf the backs? I imagine I will need to put some kind of reinforement on the back to combat any flex due to the bass, or no need to worry about that.