ANYONE RODE ONE OF THESE?

If this is the same vehicle line I think it is, back in 1991 I was working with the one of the creators of the Spyder (which is what it was called back then, too) that originally sat 2 occupants cross-car, between the 2 front wheels (the track between them was wider back then) and it was fully enclosed. At the time I was contracted into General Motors' Delco Chassis System Center in Brighton, Michigan as a designer and I was designing the rear suspension of the EV-1 Electric car that was eventually leased to folks in Southern California in the 1990s. While on the project, I had the pleasure of working closely with an engineer who was inventing a 3-wheeled car in his spare time. The development work all took place at his residence; a 3-acre Llama Farm located in rural, Ortonville, in Oakland County, Michigan, just north of the Detroit Metropolitan area. He had the thing in his heated, cement floor, pole barn and was trying to interest Harley-Davidson in marketing the vehicle. I saw it run but didn't get a ride in it. It was a really cool vehicle and actually quite well-made for a working prototype. I remember that the unique handling and anti-loc braking system (an very early stability system) made the vehicle incredibly stable to drive. If it had sold it would have had enormous curb appeal as it looked very futuristic and aerodynamic. For whatever reason, the Harley folks came out and looked at it and, for whatever reason, eventually passed on the idea. I knew that some day, somebody would pick up on the concept. It's nice to see that some form of the vehicle has finally materialized. If I can remember the engineer's name, I'll have to give him a call and ask him if he knows the turn of events that finally led it in this direction. Although I do like the idea of it, I'm more of a two-wheeler fan. If I find an old picture I took of the two-seater, I will post it. I'm not quite sure here it might be however. Thanks for posting this! It's sort of a blast-from-the-past for me. -Glenn

Guest srobak

Picky - That is now known as the T-Rex, and is based in Canada... http://www.go-t-rex.com/

Stew - I rode one about a month ago. Interesting and fun - only got to ride it for about 10 minutes. Would need to spend more time on it to pass final judgement on it'susability beyond that of a toy. It is made by Bombardier (SKI-DOO)

I took a test ride on a Spyder recently. I'm with srobak in that it is an interesting (and fun) ride. However - I guess because of my many years on two wheels, I just couldn't see myself owning one. My only complaint was the riding position which I felt was a bit too far forward (this coming from a guy who rode a ZX9R!!). The other thing I couldn't get pass was the price. Those things start (MSRP) at $18,999 and the auto-shift model is $20,999!! If they were around the $13K or $14k mark, that might be more palatable. But for $15K I can buy (2) Aprilia RXV-5.5's or a Ducati 1098. And for $20K I can buy a H*nda GL1800 Winnie-Bike-O.

Tom

Picky - That is now known as the T-Rex, and is based in Canada... http://www.go-t-rex.com/

Stew - I rode one about a month ago. Interesting and fun - only got to ride it for about 10 minutes. Would need to spend more time on it to pass final judgement on it'susability beyond that of a toy. It is made by Bombardier (SKI-DOO)

Someone in town here has a T-Rex and is very happy with it, even if it draws a crowd wherever he stops it. It was even featured in a short spot on the six o'clock news. They're quite a bit costlier than a bike, but there's a lot more machine there, plus it's far more exclusive than nearly anything else on the road.