Pet Peeve

Youthman

1) Join the club. The older I get, the more peevish I become. I am maybe half way through life, so I am peeved about something now about ½ the time.

2) If you look at old photographs of touring cars, you often see women and children sitting on the cars. Why is that? Because the upper classes that could afford the cars did not wear Levi canvas jeans fastened with metal brads. The brads easily scratched the paint of old cars.

3) We don’t sit on cars partly because jeans can scratch the old paint (the new polymer based paints are more like epoxies and resist fading and jeans better).

4) Your speakers are not as delicate as the paint of a brand new Mercedes Benz

5) It is different when it comes to your speakers. They are the right height and location for an armrest.

6) Why not put just something on them to prevent people leaning on them?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With those narrow speakers the original poster has, the glass tops would likely slide off and flatten someone's toes.

Islander, I know you like to make fun of the reference series as much as possible, but do you realize that the rf-83 are just as big as the heresy. The depth is as wide as the heresy and the width is as deep as the heresy, if not bigger.

Where did that come from? I've got nothing against any Klipsch speakers, nor their owners. The RF-83s are 9.25" wide, according to Klipsch's website, and it seemed to me that a glass top could easily slide off the top of one and cause an injury. It's a simple safety concern, with no disrespect stated or implied. The Reference line are fine speakers, by all accounts.

BTW, the Heresies are 13.25" deep and 15.5" wide, so your size comparison is not valid.

I have a 1933 Franklin Olympic Convertible that I show occassionally. Now, I'm not one of those "look but don't touch" types & don't usually don't mind if a kid wants to step up on the running board to look inside the car.

Anyway, I was at a show awhile back and a father with two teenage sons came walking up to my car. One of the kids - probably about 13 or 14 - put a hand on the fender, leapt up, turned and planted his butt on the front fender - his father didn't say a word!

A buddy & I were standing about 15' away & we looked at each other in stunned disbelief as our jaws hit the ground. It took a few seconds for me to gather my wits about me enough yell GET THE F... off my car! The father turned & looked at us with kind of a dumb "huh" expresion on his face.

Totally clueless!

James

James,

I have two 1967 "S" code 390 big block GT fastback mustangs and I'm considdering selling one of them. I had a guy and his brother come to look at the car I am considdering selling. Now this kid is worth several million dollars and owns a 426 max wedge factory light weight Savoy among other things, and I am selling a 427 Ford "Hi-Riser" dual factory 4BBL with it like the ones that came in Thunderbolt Fairlains and factory Light Weight Galaxies that competed in A F/X. I am overhead getting the intake for the Hi-Riser out and the brother askes "What's the deal on this black car. I can see him from where I am at, and I tell him, that car is not for sale. He then proceeds to open the hood and open the car and look arround inside. Now if he had asked, there would not have been a problem, but he didn't, so I say in a rather curt, raised voice " I said that car isn't for sale and you don't have enough F--N money to buy it from me. This jerk then goes over to my 427 SOHC engine on my engine stand and asks what the deal on the motor is? I tell him that it isn't for sale. I have the spark plugs out of the heads and this guy pulls one of the spark plug tubes out of the valve cover and looks into the hole. (He is lucky I didn't put a .44 in his face and tell him to run). A week later the kid who is interested calls and wants to know if he can bring his personal body guy over with him to look at the car. I tell him that is fine, but his brother is not welcome on my propperty and explain why. Long story short, he never called or came back. Some people need disposed of!!!

Roger

Reading this thread makes me feel that I'm not the only one so anal about people leaning / touching stuff that has been specifically aligned :-)

My solution is leave some RF-3s next to the 7s to defend the bigger brother.

youth, you will like this...

i had a cable guy over to fix my hdmi sound problem. the new rf-7's were sitting pretty in the living room and this guy desides he's a little tired and leans on them. i quickly told him not to touch them. the guy looked totaly confused. i also didn't want him near them becaue he had 50 lbs of gunk hanging from his belt and he didn't even try to be careful around them.

now the story gets better...

falcon20x (terry) came over to look at the extra rf-7's. an extra cable guy came over as well. as i am standing next to terry and the other cable guy is trying different stuff, that same cable guy leaned on them again! i again told him to stay off. both terry and the other cable guy was shanking their heads in disblief. it seemed like the other cable guy knew they were pricey because he didn't want to get near them.

it just baffles me that someone can enter another one's house and decided for themselfs what they can touch and disrespect...

• Moderators

When I was a DJ in college, women would sit on the bass bins..... If they were smiling, I let it go.

Drinks on my speakers.... a no no for sure!

Did you ever turn up the bass a little and see if the smile got bigger ?

Reading this thread makes me feel that I'm not the only one so anal about people leaning / touching stuff that has been specifically aligned :-)

My solution is leave some RF-3s next to the 7s to defend the bigger brother.

But would you be so anal about a ford fairlane?

Lay down the law, make it clear, and quit whining about your inablity to do so.

OT,

Best post, & best answer I have seen in this thread to the orriginal question!!

How far do you let some pervert making eyes at your underage daughter go before you get off your A*S and do something about it?? I guess you have to figgure out where your priorities lay.

Roger