Is a Center Channel Necessary?

wsu99999

I have been playing around with my configuration at home and have found better sound without my center channel. I was wondering if anyone has had that same phenomenom? I run a pair of LaScalas up front and a pair of Forte II's in the rear. The center channel I had was a RC-62 but I sold it to purchase another LaScala (which i haven't gotten yet because I've been out of town).

Does anyone out there run a phantom center and if not, what are your thoughts about doing so? It would seem that the LaScalas are more than adequate to run both Center duty and side duty. Let me know your thoughts on this please!!

If you are running a HT and not a 2-channel rig the Center is the MOST important speaker! All the other speakers are anchored to it, the AV processor sends discrete information to it for a more realistic affect. Not having one routes that information to the Mains. Have you ever been to a movie theater that did not utilize a center speaker? Nuff said.

A Heresy will work nicely and should be easy to acquire.

Ditto! Yes, ideally you'd want 7 matched La Scala's all the way around however, a Heresy does a fine job, especially given the space limitations usually placed on a Heritage speaker to serve in that capacity.

If the center is the weakest link by far then you may be better off with out if. Could also be your processor or settings are bad causing it to sound better with the center off. The center should be at roughly the same height as your mains otherwise at least pointed up/down to be level with your mains.

If the center is the weakest link by far then you may be better off with out if.

True, except for plain old Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks. Most receivers automatically engage Dynamic Range Compression (DRC), aka midnight-mode, if fewer than 5.1 speakers are configured. This can lead to a reduction of up to 15 dB in dynamic range on some actions movies.

I guess I should have detailed my system since there may have been some setting issues going on here. I have a HK AVR 745, the center I had was a RC-62, and then obviously the LS and Forte 2s. I'm telling you guys, without the RS-62 my setup sounds so much more alive and with the center sound coming through the LaScalas and the RF sound going through them as well... it simply sounds beautiful.

From everyones responses, I'm clearly wrong, but I think I would be better off with no center until I get a LaScala. I have a member on the forum willing to sell me a LS for really cheap, unfortunately, I'm out of state and he will probably get rid of it before I get back in August. Seeing as I'm probably going to miss out on that deal, I just wanted to see if anyone was running a 4ch setup and what their thoughts were.

I don't think you're cleaerly wrong and I'll try to explain why I think you prefer the LaScala pair to LaScala and an RC-62...

The RC-62 is not voiced to match up with LaScalas...when I had my Heresys, both the Academy and the KLF-C7 I tried sounded nice but not great...when I tried another Heresy...WOW...they were voice matched and...WOW!

When I switched to Quartet mains, the popbumpered K-Stack Academy matches nicely with the Quartet mains...still, the best sound was the three Heresys...just that the Heresy center was difficult to have (tall) and on it's side I thought it sounded odd...

Good Luck with your choice.

Bill

No, in a home theater application the center channel is not "necessary", it is a MUST have! I you can't get another La Scala for center, try a Cornwall or Heresy. Most movie dialog is steered to the center channel. Timbre matching is critical, but something is better than no center.

I went from KLF 20s and a matching C7 cemter to La Scalas with the C7 center and the La Scalas overpowered them and did not sound right. I think I had the C7 volume at +12 and the La Scalas at 0 but even though I was able to get the volume levels close it still did not sound right.

I got lucky and a guy in Houston had a single La Scala on Ebay for $300. Got a new A/AA crossover from BEC for around $125.

I adjusted the center volume back down to 0 when I got the CLS and the first movie I watched was The Incredibles and some scenes scared the He!! out of me!!! I was not expecting the dynamics the CLS could put out compared to the C7. The CLS takes the movies to a new level!

Now a single La Scala can take awhile to show up so I say get a single Heresy(maybe a H3) and use that until you can find a single La Scala. You may like the single Heresy and keep it.

Or find a pair of LS Industrials and keep one and sell the other. Or find a beat up pair of La Scalas and keep one and sell the other. The quickest fix is order the Heresy 3 and you can have much quicker than waiting for a La Scala.

Good luck1

WSU99999,

I run all Cornerhorns with a LaScala center. My buddy has had a pair of Corner horns and a pair of LaScalas for over 20 years and liked to listen to music in 4 channel stereo. Very Loud. I told him for years that he needed another LaScala. I finally took mine over and popped in a 5.1 Ozzy DVD. It was like the first time I took him to listen to a pair of K-Horns all over again. He couldn't believe the things he had been missing and how it brought out Johns voice front and center. A Heresy is only a substitute, buy a pair of LaScalas if you have to and sell one, or buy two LaScalas and hold on to the extra till you find a single, and then sell the Fortes. I like the Fortes for better articulation, but they are being wasted on surround duties and two more LaScalas wont really eat up much more realestate because of needing to pull the Fortes out from the corners, plus the Db output on 5 channel stereo with 5 LaScalas is very impressive to show off with friends.

Roger

I'm giving the minority report. I set up an all Heritage HT. LaScala mains, Heresy center and surrounds. My brother-in-law dialed in the system and we watched some movies.

I just wasn't that impressed. I didn't want to keep all that gear, around, so just watched movies in 2.0 or 2.1.

To my ears, it sounded more like the theatre, I could hear the dialogue better, and was happier with that than HT.

I'm happy with what I've got now.

I'm giving the minority report. I set up an all Heritage HT. LaScala mains, Heresy center and surrounds. My brother-in-law dialed in the system and we watched some movies.

I just wasn't that impressed. I didn't want to keep all that gear, around, so just watched movies in 2.0 or 2.1.

To my ears, it sounded more like the theatre, I could hear the dialogue better, and was happier with that than HT.

I'm happy with what I've got now.

Daddy Dee,

My point exactly about home theatre with a Heresey center between LaScalas. Not only the midrange/dialog completely different with the smaller horn, but you have a major difference in sensitivity!!! Those LaScalas NEED a LaScala center!!

Roger