Just Got Klipschorns! Technics amp, but need equalizer?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

Welcome to the community! While I have to agree with the general consensus that you shouldn't need equalization with your Khorns, I believe I have a 10 band EQ in my attic somewhere that I would be glad to lend you to see if it helps, or sell it to you for next to nothing. I know my Khorns seem to put out too much treble at times, and I do suffer from hearing loss! Let me know if you decide to take me up on my offer, and we can work out the details. -kevin

I agree with the others that EQ should be a last resort. Certainly a quick and inexpensive experiment would be to freshen up the capacitors in your crossover. Check out Parts Express, however you can make it an expensive experiment if you want to (but that wuold be premature at this point)

Two other issues. First, are the cabinets at a +/- 45deg angle, IOW are they directly facing you? There will be a drop off in the highs if you are off-axis. Second, the cabinets may have been driven hard in the past. In that case the magnets can lose some of their strength. Although this is not as likely since yours are not Alnico and they are not that old.

If the above is not an issue, then you might talk to Bob Crites about his replacement tweeters (but rule out the above issues first and spend a good amount of time listening before you do anything drastic).

Good Luck,

-Tom

One other thing is that you may not be used to the amazing bass response from the Klipschorns......

after you test out all the drivers are working, in phase, and hooked up properly, Crossovers check out, etc. ..... I think your room may be the culprit. If you have terrazzo floors and concrete walls.....there is nothing to absorb all the reflections, and while usually you can get null zones in the bass dept. I have found that the bass sometimes can sound very boomy and overpowering in your situation. If that is the case, it may be a mater of perceived week treble ...and as stated above some amps are very mushy in the bass , not crisp and clean.

Room treatments can be as cheep an old throw rug and some strategically placed folded blankets, or you can get pro stuff to hang on wall panels etc.... see if you can get your hands on a set up disk or download some test tones from various websites....play the tones while starting at your "sweet spot" and then move methodically around the room and see if you hear a difference (dead spots...boomy spots) then try placing a throw rug on the floor and hang a blanket on the wall/walls and see if there is any improvements....if so there are a lot of folks here and out there more qualified to give advice on how to "fine tune " your listening space......

From my own personal experience, I will say I "poo-pooed" crossover advice for maybe a month or two after I purchased my KHorns. Finally, I decided just to give a re-capping a try since so many people advised to do so. (Keep in mind, I was satisfied with the speakers as they were). After the re-caps of the crossovers from Bob Crites, the high end opened up big-time. It was like unloading a bunch of ear wax and finally hearing again. Maybe that's your issue. Now knowing and believing, that would be my first inclination if I knew my tweeters were working and not blown.

Paul,

I have never heard of anyone complain of to little trebble with a propperly working system. I agree, first check that all drivers are working propperly. Next, considder repacing your capacitors or upgrading the entire crossover all together. Also, try another, better amp, low distortion figgures were a marketing gimick in the 80s and it isn't the full picture of the amps capabillities. If your amp section is making noise with the volume turned off, there is a good chance the amps capaciters are bad, it needs a thorough cleaning, and or solder joint problems. Finally, a forum member here named Bob Crites / forum name BEC, sells titanium tweeter diaphrams which increase frequency extension of the factory tweeters. If you still need an equilizer after all of this, I can recommend one, but a better recomendation would be that you see an ENT and get your hearing checked, high frequencies are the first ones we loose as we get older. Small cilia in the proximal end of the Cochlea either lay down or get broken off. The proximal cilia see abuse from all frequencies our entire life, but only register high frequencies to our brain, since they see more frequency and amplitude, they are the first to wear out.

Roger

I have never heard of anyone complain of to little trebble with a propperly working system.

Me neither, and it sounds like a bigger problem than usual. Almost like crossover disconnects of both the tweet and midrange.

From my own personal experience, I will say I "poo-pooed" crossover advice for maybe a month or two after I purchased my KHorns. Finally, I decided just to give a re-capping a try since so many people advised to do so. (Keep in mind, I was satisfied with the speakers as they were). After the re-caps of the crossovers from Bob Crites, the high end opened up big-time. It was like unloading a bunch of ear wax and finally hearing again. Maybe that's your issue. Now knowing and believing, that would be my first inclination if I knew my tweeters were working and not blown.

I don't seem to remeber reading anything about that on the forum, funny, isn't it???

Jeff, I'll bet your right. Prob best to make sure the Khorns are working the way they should. I put an album cover in front of the mid-horns, and I heard the tweeters -- I think. I was going to take the advice and stuff a rag in the mid-horns to make sure. How do you get the grill off? These are c-models with no spacer between the upper and lower boxes.

I'm trying to get in touch with Bob Crites. What year are your speakers, and what did you have done?

Thanks!

Paul

To All the Kind People of the Klipsh Community:

As a newbie, let me say, "thank you" for so much help!

An engineering professor taught me the difference between big Chevrolet engines and the 426 Hemi. He always said, "You'll never be satisfied until you get a Hemi."

The Klipschorn is the Hemi of the speaker world, I think. Thanks to your help, I can now tune it.

Thanks again.

Paul

Chris, you are funny..... real funny! Hey, at least I can admit when I'm wrong.

Paul, I believe mine were 77's. Anyway, BEC re-capped the x-overs for what was essentially a nominal price. There are others on this forum that rave about variations of crossovers you can get (I believe ALK is one), and they, as I recall, spend upwards of $350 on them. The simple, budget-priced re-caps were great for me. I haven't heard the deluxe xover models, and they might sound lots better. I am very satisfied just the same.

Paul, you're welcome. Also, I forgot to answer your question re: grill cloth. The tops of the speakers are removable. They should be screwed-in. What you will find in any event is the grill cloth is likely stapled in with hundreds of staples. Forget trying to mess with it. Get a book and cover the mid-range with it outside of the grill. That should muffle it enough to let you hear if the tweets are working. I think you mentioned that you have some form of tone control. If you do, you can also turn mids and lows downs as much as you can and turn the highs all the way up. That should help more, but probably is not necessary if you can't do that. Put your ear right up to the tweets.