Cat deterant spray...

Mr. RF62

I have to get some of this to train my cats to NOT scratch on my front covers, they are declawed but they must like the feel on their pads, or are mentally challenged and think they still have claws(lol). Has anyone had any issues as far as the spray discolouring the material or any other adverse effects?? As the spray says you have to spray almost daily.

Thanks

LOL @ the electric fence comment.

I found something quite simple that worked wonders when I was training our cats. Our cats had several bad habits and this method really helped eliminate those problems.

My wife had picked up a small water spray-bottle at the dollar store that she used for something or other and had it sitting out one day when one of our cats was doing something that I had repeatedly attempted to correct (to no avail, I might add). My temper flared as I watched the cat doing his thing when I noticed the spray bottle sitting there.......and a smile crept across my face. I will let your imagination finish this story (I probably gave him a bit more than his fair share that day) [st] .

This little spray bottle worked very well but our cats were pretty smart and continued in their bad behavior until they saw either my wife or I reaching for the bottle. As soon as they would see us reach for it they would vacate the room with great haste. As a matter of fact, it wasn't very long before we stopped using the water bottle altogether as we noticed that simply mimicking the sound it made "KWSSST KWSST KWSSST!" was just as effective. Eat your heart out, Pavlov's dogs!!

Obviously you would want to keep a towel handy in the event that you miss and hit your speaker.

Cats are not trainable I don't care what anyone says. Just when you think you have trained they will get pissed turn around and scratch what you don't want them to. Girlfriends cat did this after two years of not scratching anything but post. If they had claws you can buy soft paws but you need to be religous about keeping them on. You can try to distract the cat by putting scratching post next to things they want to scratch.

"Women & cats will do as they please, men & dogs should relax and get used to the idea." ~ Robert A. Heinlein

I have had the same 3 cats for over 10 years and numerous pairs of Klispch speakers right in their living area (basement). They have never ever scratched any of my stuff. We are lucky enough to be well off the road and I let them outside for a few hours every day to hunt in the woods and hang out in the yard. They love it. They are indoor / outdoor cats and have been since they were born. I think this has a lot to do with it. The only place in the house that is scratched is the basement door. They want to come upstairs all the time to be with us but we don't let them into the upstairs (wife's rule) unless my wife is gone out (ha ha) or if they do the "lap thing" for an hour or so and stay in one spot. They love getting loose in the house.

Hoses and even super soakers are out near speakers.... now outside on the vehicles. Had to replace the cloth top of our Chrysler Sebring this spring, went with vinyl as it was considerablby less expensive and looks just as good if not better and added benefits that the cats don't like it as well and the cat hair doesn't stick. The former black cloth top was a cat hair magnet.

I'm glad we're not the only ones with mentally challenged cats.

Our mentally challenged cats have been pretty good at keeping the mice away at least. Hadn't had any mice in the house until recently, shortly after our oldest cat, the queen of the lot, disappeared. Also found a small rat in the yard and what appears to be rat doo doo in the loft in our garage.... also after she disappeared - coincidence?. Maybe, she was always more interested in hunting birds. I don't want to put out rat poison for fear of poisoning the cats. I'll have to try the live trap and be sure to check it a couple of timee a day in case I catch one of the cats - usually get one or two and then they avoid it pretty well. I have caught a few opossum that way and one really large mean stray cat, probably feral. Took a long time to catch that sucker. It's possible the rat in the yard was the one in the garage but I'd have to guess the doo doo is from a larger rat so there's probably a nest full.

We have several wild cats in our very suburban neighborhood as one of our neighbors feeds them. This probably keeps the mouse population low but we also do not see as many rabbits as we used to. It really grabs your attention when you hear them fighting, wow!

Get Scat Mats. They are a 9 volt battery powered clear plastic floor pad that put out a harmless electrostatic discharge when stepped on. They work 24/7 and will actually count the number of trigger events. Set them in front of the speakers and the cats simply will not walk on them, period. We shut down 3 dogs from going into a room by blocking one doorway with one of these mats. The room has other entrances and all we needed to do was put down clear plastic that looked like the real deal. They're not cheap but they will work. You won't even step on them. They'll pop you even through socks. We got ours at Pet Depot or some such commercial store.

Get Scat Mats. They are a 9 volt battery powered clear plastic floor pad that put out a harmless electrostatic discharge when stepped on. They work 24/7 and will actually count the number of trigger events. Set them in front of the speakers and the cats simply will not walk on them, period. We shut down 3 dogs from going into a room by blocking one doorway with one of these mats. The room has other entrances and all we needed to do was put down clear plastic that looked like the real deal. They're not cheap but they will work. You won't even step on them. They'll pop you even through socks. We got ours at Pet Depot or some such commercial store.

Scat Mats, eh? Hmmm, I can think of lots of ways to use those... [6]

They sound like the best idea so far.

I tried the spray when my cat was a kitten and I had Magnepan's and springy Nordost speaker cables which were more temptation than he could resist. He made it half way up the Magnepan once without an ounce of damage thankfully, but the springy nature of the speaker cable was a constant problem. The spray seemed to only pique his interest more and eventually led to some damage on one cable. He was curious and playful before the spray, but after he seemed even more curious and almost crazy and pissed off. I quickly stopped using the spray and took up the clap and shout method whenever he went near anything audio. Those kitten days have thankfully passed and he is more than happy to get his kicks outside. He's since become a raging audiophile and is currently in his NAD phase...

post-24342-13819400308372_thumb.jpg

post-24342-13819410457394_thumb.jpg

Dude,

I agree with what you wrote in Colter's CPAP thread, and I agree 100% with the Scat Mats! I also enjoy putting fakes in front of the litter box for an hour or two or in front of their food, but my lovely wife thinks I'm sadistic...

• Like 1