Some Fun Things From 1980 Speaker Builder - 1/80 - 30" EV Bass Driver

BLSamuel

Somewhere a while back I had posted someting abut seing a DIY project with 30" EV drivers, I think someone said they were probably from a Patrician.... anyway found my 1980 Speaker Builder issues while rummaging in the garage looking for something else..... And I'm not sure this is what I remembered but it is from 1980 after all.

Speaker Builer is no longer produced but back issues including 1980 may be purchased here http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/backissues/BISSBM.htm Some years, such as 1980 only seem to be available on CD while others only seem to be availalbe in hard copy.

The following isn't exactly a pretty speaker but it is pretty big.

Speaker Builder 1/80 pg 34

Including link as I couldn't seem to insert as a link...

http://picasaweb.google.com/blsamuel1986/SpeakerBuilder?authkey=GZsruRiib8I#5249441135319342642

Cool post Ben. The EV has always been a favorite of mine.

A couple of years ago I bought out an estate of a real speaker collector. In the lot were 5 EV Patricians and a pair of the 30" woofers. They're a monster driver. Fragile looking and the cones are actually made from a foam material. The reason for the foam was the size and paper wouldn't do the job. Two of the Patricians had the Ionovac Purple Gas Tweeters-Dukane transformers along with T-350s in them.

I did a lot of research on them and contacted a few "experts" and was told PWK was instrumental in the Patrician sound chamber design similar to the Khorn. This info was NOT sent to me documented but the feller I talked to seemed to have good knowledge of the Patrician history.

I was also informed that our Military did some testing with the same 30" woofer to use the LF as a possible weapon. I was sent a scan of some literature to that effect. I wish I still had it but it was on my old PC destroyed by lightening.

Can anyone verify any of this? I'd sure like to know more.

Harry

Somewhere a while back I had posted someting abut seing a DIY project with 30" EV drivers, I think someone said they were probably from a Patrician.... anyway found my 1980 Speaker Builder issues while rummaging in the garage looking for something else..... And I'm not sure this is what I remembered but it is from 1980 after all.

Speaker Builer is no longer produced but back issues including 1980 may be purchased here http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/backissues/BISSBM.htm Some years, such as 1980 only seem to be available on CD while others only seem to be availalbe in hard copy.

The following isn't exactly a pretty speaker but it is pretty big.

Speaker Builder 1/80 pg 34

Including link as I couldn't seem to insert as a link...

http://picasaweb.google.com/blsamuel1986/SpeakerBuilder?authkey=GZsruRiib8I#5249441135319342642

Blsamual,

I know a guy that has 3 of the EV-30W Woofers, and it isn't the guy who has two for $3,500 on ebay right now. If the T-350 tweeters you had were orriginaly out of those Patricians, they should have had the Chromed magnet structures, and those will bring at least a $1,000 for two tweeters. Those speakers you pictured, look like they are using the foam driver 18" woofers for mid range. Add up the drivers and the wood, and the crossovers. I just saw a pair of EV Patrician 800s with the 30-W woofers bring just shy of $10,000 a couple of weeks ago, and they would have been a better buy.

What model Patricians were the 5 cases?? What did you do with all of them??

PWK was involved in the base bins for the EV corner speakers, this is why the EV15W-K that was in some corner EV speakers as well as available in early corner horns has the "K" for Klipsch designation. There are also EV18W-K woofers with the "K" for Klipsch designation that were used in some EV corner speakers, and I have a paper somewhere that PWK did the calculations for the cubic inches of air needed for both inner bins for both 15 and 18 inch drivers.

Roger

• 3 years later...

I miss SB, but I understand the economics of producing a fan mag, especially in the post-Web world. AudioXpress is (was?) a great mag too. I had a few disagreements (but more agreements, to be fair) with Ed Dell over the years, but I respect what he did/does, and it is to his everlasting credit that he got the news about Bruce Edgar's tractrix work out there, plus a host of other advances in the SOTA. He also got a trans-Atlantic dialog going between American and European builders, and the rest of the world besides.

Is that the front door covered up by a speaker?

It sure looks like it.

So, think this HiFi junkie was married?

To his hobby. If he has a wife he must've been buying her lot's of jewelry.

She sleeps in the left cab and he sleeps in the right one...