Train travel to Hope

• Klipsch Employees

Ok I am thinking out loud here...

What if ...we could get a good price on a train ticket to Texarkana, AR from Indy?

We meet up on March 5th EARLY (leave 6:30am) and travel together to Hope on a train.

We would get there at 6am Friday. Right now round trip - Coach is about $250 each (air fair to Little Rock is about $350)

The question is How many of you would be in for the ride?

Indy may not be the only place to board the train.

I'd definitely be in- think of the fun and comradarie onboard the Klipsch Express!

I'm taking a train to DC later that same month. Train travel is IN baby!

Plus you can take lots of luggage- they allow two bags carry on PLUS three other bags per passenger. You guys could bring amps or other small gear if you wanted!

Can we have a PA car?

M

Hmmm... might be less expensive than driving and should be able sleep or at least relax most of the way.

Gas alone would cost more than $250 though could possible car pool but would be a very long exhausting drive and would be much better off stopping overnight... I'm interested... .maby be closer to on the cheap than driving and sounds like a lot more fun and relaxing - ok, maybe not so relaxing in th PA car but a lot of fun. Of course it sounds like we'd probably have to rent a car or otherwise find transportation from Texarkana to Hope but that might not be too bad. Have to see how the finances look closer to March.

I'm taking a train to DC later that same month. Train travel is IN baby!

The last part of the route from South Bend to Rockville is in daylight and potentially stunning -- http://www.amtrak.com/timetable/may08/P29.pdf -- Cumberland MD, Martinsburg WV, the Potomac River valley and Harpers Ferry WV. I hope it's nice and sunny that day! That part of the route is apparently retraced around sunset.

Hmmm... might be less expensive than driving and should be able sleep or at least relax most of the way.

Gas alone would cost more than $250 though could possible car pool but would be a very long exhausting drive and would be much better off stopping overnight... I'm interested... .maby be closer to on the cheap than driving and sounds like a lot more fun and relaxing - ok, maybe not so relaxing in th PA car but a lot of fun. Of course it sounds like we'd probably have to rent a car or otherwise find transportation from Texarkana to Hope but that might not be too bad. Have to see how the finances look closer to March.

If I recall correctly, Amtrak passes through Hope. I suppose they could stop to let folks get off.

If I recall correctly, Amtrak passes through Hope. I suppose they could stop to let folks get off.

I thought I had read to Texarkana... but maybe could transfer to a different train to Hope if the train to Texarkana doesn't go to Hope or catch a bus... or just rent a car. Or if the train goes through hope but doesn't actually stop there maybe they could slow down and everyone could hop off? Ok, nix that idea. Not a good idea for a bunch of people mostly over the age of 30.....

I would be very interested in this train trip. I had a business meeting in Chicago last month and book with Amtrak ($33 round trip from Indy). My train was cancelled when hurricane Ike hit Chicago. Now I ask you, who would have thought a hurricane would hit Chicago. Anyway, I think it would be a fun trip if we had a group on board.

hmmmmm ……………interesting idea, however that would be a 3 day trip each way, for a total of about $650 + hotel, rental car and food. So if you factored in arriving a day early and leaving on Sunday, that would be about 8 or 9 days........nah if we come I think we'll fly but it was an interesting idea.

Actually it was the remnants of Ike. There was a lot of flooding and high winds had caused some debris on the tracks. I rented a car and drove from Indy. When I got to Merrillville, they diverted me onto 30 west to 157 because 80/94 was closed due to flooding. A very long trip in bumper to bumper traffic with a lot of big rigs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...