Dean still working on crossovers?

I gotta know - What happened to those Jubilees?

Cutty...not to put words into Deans mouth but I think he discovered he had some fairly major bathroom issues and had to rip it out and redo it. I think they even found some mold problems when they went in there, making it an even bigger (more expensive) problem...

He needed to get some quick cash together and sold them to someone (who I don't think frequents the forum very often or if he does, he doesn't post)

Bottom line, they're gone and Dean now has the $$ he needs to get his house back in order.

Something to do with priorities....

I know it is a shame and he did the same thing with his VRD's.Roll-eyes

It's all just stuff anyway. I'm glad to know he has his priorities striaght and understands what it means.

Bruce

Well considering he magically came up with some new speakers and electronics just after the sale I'd have to beg to differ.... Dean always comes up with some excuse to sell what he tires of.....I love the guy but he is what he is.... a gear head. He will never keep anything and how good it is matters little. Rolling and trying gear IS THE HOBBY to Dean.

Craig

I know it is a shame and he did the same thing with his VRD's.Roll-eyes

It's all just stuff anyway. I'm glad to know he has his priorities striaght and understands what it means.

Bruce

Well considering he magically came up with some new speakers and electronics just after the sale I'd have to beg to differ.... Dean always comes up with some excuse to sell what he tires of.....I love the guy but he is what he is.... a gear head. He will never keep anything and how good it is matters little. Rolling and trying gear IS THE HOBBY to Dean.

Craig

I have cleaned up my act I just roll a tube once or twice a year...

Hey Craig, it's been a while. The plan didn't involve going without a system, but I definitely got carried away and spent more than I should have. We still managed to recoupe $3K after it was all said and done and we couldn't have got the work done without it. I don't create or fabricate exuses, I offer explanations since everyone is going to ask anyway.

I had to take a break to deal with the bathroom and to study for a certification I had to pass in order to keep my job. I passed the test a a couple of weeks ago and the bathroom will be done by the middle of next week. I'll probably take on some limited work again starting in November.

• 3 weeks later...

Professor Dean or Another RF-7/RC-7 Upgrade Pro,

I am very interested in the best audiophile level upgrade to smooth out the dynamics in the horns with the other two drivers. I purchased the set new in 2003. All's currently stock. AMP: Proceed AMP 5. SUB: SVS Ultra 13 and two HSU MBM-12's. Overall, a very good sound and occassionally excellent, but not what I'd consistantly call beautifully detailed and non-fatiguing and smooth like my Mackie 824 Studio Monitors and REL Storm III. The Mackie dome tweeters really smooth out the vast majority of so many less well-engineered recordings yet have the definition and sparkle that sounds best to me (almost addicting) unless the recordings are exceptional.

What may be the best recommendations today by audiophiles after experiencing various upgrades for the Klipsch RF7/RC7 reference line? I also installed matching Klipsch 8 inch reference ceiling surrounds.

Very appreciated.

Hi Kevin -- yeah, I've temporarily abandoned ship. I do have a pair of RB-5's that are pulling surround duty. I tried to sell them but there weren't any takers, so I decided to keep them (for now:). Since I do mostly DVD movies and concerts, the plan was to set up a Reference multi-channel setup, but when I went to check out the RF-83's, I found I preferred the sound of the Definitive Technology Powered Towers. I listened to the RF-83's with several higher-end receivers, and it just wasn't getting it. My opinion here is something we all know -- horns are relatively unforgiving and need to be fed with pretty good stuff to get the most out of them. I think HT receivers (even good ones) fall way short in that regard. The same receivers on the Deftech Towers sounded way better -- so that's the direction I took. They also had to secondary appeal of alleviating the need to have to buy a sub or two (as well as stressing over where to put them since my room is so small). This setup doesn't compete with the better horn setups, but I didn't have the money for that, and certainly not for the required high quality front end to run them. The current setup sounds pretty good though, and serves my needs adequately for what I'm mostly into right now -- DVD's/Blu-ray into the later part of the evening. I have a plan for a horn setup down the road -- but it will be a couple of years before I get it done.

My avatar is a cut-away of the older BP2000. I have a pair of BP7001SC's and C/L/R 2500 center. TAS review attached.

BP7001sc_TAS2304.pdf

Congrats on the passing the cert. As always, I knew you could do it. What a pain though.

As to the speakers, very, very nice. Despite what some say, I'm still a fan of D'Appolito arrays.

And they have aluminum tweeters, yum! - still my choice for on top. I would love to hear them.

Carl.

They did a pretty nice job with them -- I miss the hair trigger dynamics though. I would call them moderately dynamic, they have decent life to them. The bipolar array is cool, but you can forget about it filling a room the way a K-402 horn does!

I'm pretty sure that this is what is used for the woofers:

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/297-308.pdf

The tweeters are similar to this one -- I think Vifa modified it for Deftech's use.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/vifa/d25ag-35-06e.pdf

I'm itching for a kick *** three channel amp, I just don't if it's really worth it for the kind of listening I'm doing right now.