Please Identify This Fish

thebes

Not a bragging post, since at one to two pounds, the several of these I caught last week are probably prety small by ocean fish standards. They were caught off the Albermarle Sound in North Carolina, have a small mouth, no teeth, scales and a large spot on each side near the tail.

I know very little about coastal fish outside of flounder and groupers and couldn't match them up while searching the web.

post-14801-13819418465762_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

We call them Redfish or red drum, that one is illegal to keep in Louisiana, minimum size is 16" here. [:|] That would be about a $200 fine if you kept it, but not fishing in Louisiana and releasing it quickly after the pic your safe. [;)]

" Yeah, I should have questioned whether the specimen on the right has no teeth, scales, and spots on either side of his tail. "

That's funny [;)]

That is a red drum or puppy drum, the North Caroline state fish. I hope you threw that one and the others back into the water. In North Carolina, there is a slot limit for them, meaning any fish less than 18" and any fish over 27" must be released. You can only keep 1 fish per day that is between 18 - 27". Out at Cape Hatteras they catch them in the 30 - 40 lb range during the Fall run.

By the way, what kind of bait did you catch them on?

Carl

Yeah, I should have questioned whether the specimen on the right has no teeth, scales, and spots on either side of his tail.

Smile,

Wm McD

Not to mention no hair. Good one Gil and thanks for filling me in .

Thanks Chili for the North Carolina info. The largest might have been 18" (that's 48" when telling others what I caught) and they were all immediately returned back to mother nature. I caught one twice, the line had snapped and he still had my first hook in his mouth. These guys seem to be bait swallowers unless you get them at first hit. Fortunately I always carry a one of those surgical roach clip thngies with me at all times in case such an event occurs.

They were caught using strips of mullet, which is kinda hard to do because small fish and crabs also loved the mullet. My pole was dancing around like a yo-yo and it's was hard to figure out when to set the hook. Too lazy to use articficial bait or lures.

Oh, they any good for eating?

Durn where did all these funny people come from. Been here for years and never realized it. [:D] I guess I was just to busy laughing at my own humble wit which simply blinded me to the comedic genius resident all around me.

I'm forced to retaliate, so a bear walks into a bar..........