Welll, I upgraded again!

Cal Blacksmith

Not speakers but coffee, er espresso to be exact. Not satisfied with my prosumer machine that I bought only a year ago, I sold it and upgraded to this commercial machine. Jeeeeeepers, this coffee stuff is just as expensive as audio! I now have MSRP of nearly $8K in coffee equipment, I bought used and only have about $1500 into it but it is all commercial gear that will last the rest of my life if I don't get more upgraditus!

Here is a pic of my "new" machine, I gotta setup a tubes/horns/HT/coffee day here to share with those of you who live close by!

Edit:

http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDPfRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQPPlxJanxQenxv8uOc5xQQQeoPePoGeeaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0Q0no%7CRup6Gna%7C/of=50,590,441'>Sorry the account is dynamic and requires signup to see, I am posting one pic at a time to Klipsch

post-14862-13819419088932_thumb.jpg

Ah, you DO know a bit about this hobby!

The machine has a E-61 type group head (if it is not a lever pull head, purists insist it is not a E-61) 2.5L nickle plated brass boiler, a 2.9L tank, is pour-over OR plumb in, selectable by a valve in the drip tray, very easy changeover. 3 setting programable auto-metered dosing + manual via pushbutton, 1500w 120V, Sarai Pstat set to 1.1 bar static boiler pressure (205 deg F brew temp by styrofoam cup/thermometer measuring method) Rotery water pump set to deliver a constant 10 bar pressure for brew.

Under the sink there is a ion exchange water softener that feeds two 10" cartarage water filters, one charcoal and the other charcoal/sediment/cyst. I replaced the RO system (rather hacked it into what we have now) due to the needs of the espresso machine to conduct electricty for the boiler level and empty water tank safety.

I had a few parts to change, namely the ovetemp safety switch (I am waiting for it to come in the mail) and I had to repair a cracked hose inside. The unit uses teflon hoses for some of the internal plumbing and two were rubbing on each other and caused one to crack slightly. In pour over mode, there was no pressure on that hose so it did not leak but when I went to plumb in, line pressure caused a slight leak, about 1 cup per day so that line had to be repaired. I need to fab a new cover to go over the water tank in the cup tray and I had to replace one of the screws that hold on a backlit sign on the back of the machine (the screw was missing and was a special order from the maker)

I have had some fun getting this thing dialed in, I am pulling a good 2 oz shot in 27 sec from 16 g in a double baskett but the grinder settings need to be changed when I put in the tripple baskett and go to 25 g of coffee. For a grinder, I have 2 Super Jollys, 1 I bought used when I bought my prosumer machine (a new NS Oscar) and the second I found, grungy and needing a real good cleaning at a commercial equipment dealer for only $150! I put a new set of burrs in it and it grinds sweet!

I use a Rocky grinder and really like it. The only thing that I would change is to make it stepless but that's nit picking. It's VERY consistant. 25 seconds for 2 oz is the sweetspot for my Isomac. Normally I only vary the grind as the beans age slightly and my normal 25 second pull starts to overpour. I got my current machine about 3 years ago and have no plans to upgrade it. More than likely it'll outlast me!! those Italians can really build an espresso machine. Have fun dialing it in.

I am a newbie to espresso, and I love it. My trip to Russia is what got me hooked on coffee, I had never had it before going there. I tried it on a whim when my host Sergei offered it to me. He's got a machine built into his kitchen, how could I say no? Sergei's coffee is like espresso and it only took a few cups for me to appreciate the freshness and deep flavor of the coffee bean. No cream or sugar, I tried it but it just ruined the flavor. So for my ten day visit there I indulged in black coffee on a regular basis. On my trip back from Russia I was offered coffee on the plane and it was very weak. Sergei had told me that "American" coffee is very weak compared to how they make it.

When I got home I looked online for a machine to make coffee/espresso. After doing some research I realized that the machine I would want would of course be very expensive. Then I ran across the Aeropress (pic below). Less than $30 and it makes a great cup of espresso, one at a time, doesn't take up much space, doesn't take tinkering or fixing, seconds to clean. The coffee I drink from this little rig is better than 90% of the coffee houses that I've been to. I have tasted better espresso, but it's rare. My local Olive Garden restaurant has a $12,000 espresso machine and it makes the best tasting espresso I've ever had. They said the machine has given them problems from day one, it is constantly having to be repaired, but when it works, it works great!

I can't even drink Starbucks, they burn everything.

Congrats on your new machine!

Greg

post-11090-13819419099696_thumb.jpg