Raccoon Invasion! Help!!

fini

Yep, I've got a raccoon (and I believe young-uns) under my house (crawl space). I think they've taken up residence around our tub, where the kids have heard what we think are baby raccoon sounds. Mom's pretty large, judging from the paw prints (on a piece of cardboard sprinkled with flour). I haven't seen her yet.

I've done a fair amount of research, and I'm certain I can keep her out (building a one-way door over the screen vent). The problem is the babies. I don't see any small prints that would indicate they've come out. I'm thinking I should wait until I see that the young are out, then seal up the vent. I'd like to make sure they're all out (obviously). The tub they're under is a jacuzzi-style, so there's a large access panel on the front apron. How much trouble could I get into by opening it up to take a peek?

It's been suggested I might try using predator (coyotee?) scent (pee, I guess) around the area. Anyone had success with this, or other methods (mothballs?)? My interest is in keeping them out from under the house, not trapping or killing them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We had a problem with raccoons in our shop a few years ago. Scent, mothballs, nothing worked. We set traps (humane, cage type, not snares). This resulted in a large, 30 lb female in one trap, then two babies at once in another. They were relocated to a wooded area miles away, then the entry point blocked. BTW, tuna packed in oil was the successful bait, located at the far end of the trap near the trip plate. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip, Don! Yeah, that seems to make sense to me, but I've read that it's illegal to relocate nuisance pests like raccoons. We're pretty close to a creek, which would seem to be a logical place to drop them off. I guess I could trap them, then let 'em go in the yard. I just don't want dead critters under the house!

post-3580-13819419442808_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Are you sure they are raccoons and not opossums? We had an opossum nesting around our tub a few years back. I think they're prints are similar, except they have opposable thumbs on their hind feet.

If it is a oppossum, I'd let it nest there since they eat rodents and bugs, and basically any trash they come across. The one living "in" our house was never a problem, and I was a bit sad when he finally left. Creepy looking things, though.

If it's a raccoon, yeah, I'd get rid of it. They are a bit more aggressive and can carry rabies. Do you have a nature center or animal control that will come get them?

I don't know about how to keep them out from under the house other than blocking their entry way, but I do know that they can be lured out with dog food.

We have about a 1 acre woods behind our house which is loaded with racoons. When we first moved in there and spotted a racoon we thought it was cute to put a bowl of dog food on the back porch and watch him come and eat it. Before long 2 & 3 racoons were coming and then 4,5,6 of them at a time.
Once, two of them got into a fight over the food and one of them "puncned" the other one and knocked him into the pool. I don't know if he was dazed or not, but it was apparent that he couldn't get out of the pool on his own, so I went out there and helped him out with the pool pole.

After that we didn't put the dog food out anymore. Almost never see one now.

First I'd be very careful. I've seen raccoons when they are in a less than cordial mood and they can do some damage. As far as trapping them, it is probably your best option. I'd also let someone do it who is knowledgeable on the subject, wild life dept or similar. Maybe give CA Fish and Game a call for advice. As for the nesting yeah that is a touchy thing you do not want to harm the babies if it is avoidable.

Do you have a nature center or animal control that will come get them?

Yes, but it's $100 for them to come and asess the situation. Not sure of the charges beyond that.

Are you sure they are raccoons and not opossums?

I'm pretty sure, from the prints, but perhaps I should set up a video camera.

.... we thought it was cute to put a bowl of dog food on the back porch and watch him come and eat it. Before long 2 & 3 racoons were coming and then 4,5,6 of them at a time. Once, two of them got into a fight over the food and one of them "puncned" the other one and knocked him into the pool. ......

Now that's FUNNY!!![:D][Y][Y]

We had the same situation. We let them live under the house until they moved out.

Then, we closed the holes.

If the only nuisance is noise, share the world with the other creatures that live in your area.

Live and let live.

jerol

Pretty touchy feelie, eh?

We've gottem' too. They steal my pineapple plants, fight with the dogs, cats, etc. Generally act out like trailer trash.... Well, heck!!! Look at them!!! Burglar masks, uppity when it comes to food, what do you expect. We've been safe lately because I leave the lil' TV in the workshop on with a DVD of Oprah playing 24/7.... They just hang out, eat fritos and argue about politics with each other....

[H]

• Moderators

Whatever you decide obviously don't seal the area unless you know they are all out.

Absolutely...or you'll have a similar fiasco to my "dead squirrel in the attic" trauma from a few weeks back. Ugh, the smell..... It's enough to make you want to move.

Havahart model 1089 trap is what I use.

http://www.havahart.com/resources/trap-guide/large-animal-traps

great for opposoms and racoons, humane way to trap them and safely move them. I just take em to a nearby woods where there's water and food. Give em a nice can of cat food as a door prize.

They just hang out, eat fritos and argue about politics with each other....

Cool

Hmm, maybe I can get them their own computer and sign 'em up to this forum...I mean, if we were allowed to argue about politics...[{][Z][}]

Confucious say:

Never buy a house with a crawl space.

JJK

Dude I disagree. It is perfect for eradicating pest insects. I set off bug bombs under the house twice a year and no bugs. This is a big deal in the south. It isn't a matter of clean but rather being out numbered. In the posh neighbothoods the ladies call them waterbugs.....lol... I also put bisqueen down covering the ground and side walls. It is easier for electricians and plumbers to work under there as well.

As for the racoons. If they aren't rabid they taste good.

~ 4 - 6 lb. raccoon, cut into serving pieces
~ 1 cup red wine
~ 2 onions, sliced
~ 3 bay leaves
~ 1 tbsp salt
~ 1 tsp pepper
~ 3 cloves garlic, sliced
~ 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
~ 1 tbsp paprika

We had the same situation. We let them live under the house until they moved out.

Then, we closed the holes.

If the only nuisance is noise, share the world with the other creatures that live in your area.

Live and let live.

jerol

Pretty touchy feelie, eh?

This is a pretty appealing idea, since I'm in the touchy-feelie capitol of the US (close proximity to SF, Marin County, etc.). Would it be possible to let the raccoons finish raising my kids? I think I need a break.