Raccoon Invasion! Help!!

fini

• Moderators

Seti;

As for the racoons. If they aren't rabid they taste good.

~ 4 - 6 lb. raccoon, cut into serving pieces
~ 1 cup red wine
~ 2 onions, sliced
~ 3 bay leaves
~ 1 tbsp salt
~ 1 tsp pepper
~ 3 cloves garlic, sliced
~ 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
~ 1 tbsp paprika

4 to 6 lbs, you like the young tender ones I see, like Raccoon Veal. [:o]

Use your recipe and put it in the smoker for about 12 hours ! [;)]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I attempted to take a picture last night of the raccoon coming out the vent. I was all set, looking out the window, when my wife called me away for a minute. When I returned to my stakeout, it'd already happened!

On that subject, is anyone aware of some sort of trip wire or motion sensor that would control a digital camera?

I might try using predator (coyotee?) scent (pee, I guess) around the area

I do NOT give you permission to use ME, any facsimilie of me nor my.... well.... sigh, never mind

[:|]

Now, on the other hand, if you'd like to fly me out there, feed me a lot of beer and let me walk around your home (or sit in your tub) while helping you out, that's another story.... [+o(]

Havahart model 1089 trap is what I use.

http://www.havahart.com/resources/trap-guide/large-animal-traps

great for opposoms and racoons, humane way to trap them and safely move them. I just take em to a nearby woods where there's water and food. Give em a nice can of cat food as a door prize.

Fini,

I have the 1050 trap which is a bit larger 42x10x13. I bait it with peanut butter and they can't resist it. But even though this is the biggest 2 door trap made by Havahart it is still not big enough for the larger raccoons around here (although it works great for the non Godzilla sized ones). I have watched one enter the trap and trip it, but it was so big that the door behind it couldn't close. The raccoon happily finished the peanut butter with the door resting on it's butt and then it just backed out the way it entered. They do make larger single door models though.

I would caution against leaving them in the crawl space. They can do some serious destruction and damage chewing, digging, and urinating. And as Amy notes if one were to die in the house you will be sorry (not a strong enough word).

Also, if you or your neighbors have dogs that are inquisitive it will not be a pretty altercation. My neighbor had one under his deck and his Jack Russell terrier got at it and kept it cornered for hours. Fearless and tenacious doesn't begin to describe this breed. It was January, late at night, and the deck was covered with ice so we couldn't unscrew the decking. The only way we could separate the two was to drill a small hole in one of the deck boards a couple feet away from them and drop a couple of firecrackers down the hole. The two of them bolted in separate directions and the raccoon hasn't dared to return.

Good luck,

- Jim

I

Just put an apple or carrot in your piehole, grab yer camera, lay down by the access portal and take a nap. When you feel those little fingers prying the apple away from your death bite start snapping (photos not your choppers). Don't forget to post. Extra points if you show us some blood. Minus points if it's the coons.