fini

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Careful with the 'Coons. Mean varmints.

Being the consumate hillbilly that I am, I'm pretty knowledgeable with some of their traits.

They can do some serious damage with teeth and claws. They can kill a large mean dog quick. They will usually run away when they can but if they're cornered they are a worthy adversary.

When the price of pelts was up I used to do quite a bit of "coon huntin" and trapping. It takes a good seasoned (experienced) dog to deal with a 35lb coon in a scrape. I've had to sew up the bellies and ears on some pretty fair dogs over the years.

Here's a good tip for caring for your dogs if "home surgery" is needed: Get a big plastic garbage can in the 40-50 gallon range (if close to Walmart) with good lid. You'll also need a can of "Starting Fluid" handy. Put the "slashed" up dawg in the big garbage can and put the lid on about 90% leaving just enough room to give the starting fluid a path for a couple of good shots. After a couple of shots of the Ether the dog will get woozy 'nuff you can safely work on it. I like a good 10lb monofilament (Stren clear blue preferrably) and upholstery needle to make the necessary repairs.

The ether wears off quick so keep it handy if'n you want to keep your hands.

'Coons can do some serious damage to your home also. Curious worse than kids and'll tear up anything they get close to.

Greasy critters if'n you're gonna eat 'em. Boil 'em down good and drain the grease.

Good luck getting rid of the varmints.

I guess if you ask nice you might get Amy to ban them.

Harry

Last night, after the adult 'coon left, I opened up the access apron on the tub. Back in the corner, behind a maze of pipes and tubing, were two young-uns all cuddled up. I understand it's an odd time of year for raccoons to mate, but s#it happens. Where is the father? I blame the parents.

We always used canned sardines to bait the traps. It helps if you open up the can first though.

Raccoons are pretty smart little critters though... might open the can themselves if they see a picture of the sardines on the can.... Of course if you'd trap one that smart it'd probably let itself out of the trap or wait and attack when you got near the trap.

If you do trap a raccoon to release elsewhere you've got to release them something like 25 miles away or they'll be right back if they desire. The same source said even an opossum could find it's way back up to 15 miles away.

Naturally, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a mama raccoon in a trap and nowhere near the babies with the mama nearby. They're tough critters.

• 2 years later...

Definitely an odd yet somewhat enjoyable old thread .

One of my favorites. A little bit of help, and a lot of fun. I might try some of the recipes this time. Meat has gotten sooo expensive.

Dang, there was ONE vent I didn't upgrade. Perfect location for the coons' door, hidden from view by thick bushes. It's like their own little private mud porch.

post-3580-13819641609192_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Here ya go, one from there list [:o]

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon1.html

Bar-B-Q'd Raccoon

~ 4 - 6 lb.
raccoon, cut into serving pieces
~ 1 cup red wine
~ 2 onions, sliced
~
3 bay leaves
~ 1 tbsp salt
~ 1 tsp pepper
~ 3 cloves garlic,
sliced
~ 2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce
~ 1 tbsp paprika

Place the raccoon
pieces in a large pan. Add the wine, onions, bay leaves, salt, pepper and
garlic. Add enough water to cover the meat.

Bring to a boil. Cover and
simmer for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove the meat and drain. Place the
raccoon in a greased baking dish. Mix the barbecue sauce and paprika together
and pour over the meat.

Cook at 325 degrees for 50 - 60
minutes.

Serve and Enjoy!

When I was 2 or 3, I wore a coon-skin cap. It was my "Davy Crockett" phase. This may present an opportunity to recapture my youth, only with a larger head.

When I was 2 or 3, I wore a coon-skin cap. It was my "Davy Crockett" phase. This may present an opportunity to recapture my youth, only with a larger head.

Oh yes, the coon-skin hat and vinyl... Was it only a phase?

DAVY CROCKET

Been there done that

The havart method got rid of them. bait the trap with canned tuna-they cannot resist it- use latex gloves when handling the trap-rthe critters are very trap shy when human scent is present on the traps- we had them in a chimney at my parents house-chlorox spray sent them packing.

Be very careful when releasing them- they carry rabies in many cases- very nasty critters

• Moderators

Be very careful when releasing them- they carry rabies in many cases- very nasty critters

Not even counting teeth and claws combined with a bad attitude when caught. [:|]

Will heavy leather BBQ gloves work, should I have to fend them off? I may have to pull the access cover from the tub to see if they're gone. I'll be closed in the bathroom (so the critters don't go scampering through the house) and don't plan on grabbing them. What worked last time was shooting them with a type of pepper spray.