la scala road trip not so good, Dishonest seller.

tuned4life

La scalas listed on Watertown N.Y. Craigslist. The Raw birch La scalas were originally listed as mint condition for 1500.00with no pics. After speaking with the seller for a few minutes I could smell a rat. the seller said he couldn't email close up pics (red flag) I asked a lot of specific questions. He said there were no veener chips or dented corners. That there were no cosmetic issues with the tops. He did give me the serial numbers which confirmed they were 1976 models. I asked if the logo badges were the striped logo's at which time he said one was missing (red flag). I asked what the mid drivers and tweeters were and he told me he couldn't move them because he had one speaker stacked on top of the other (big red flag). At that time I told him I didn't think I was interested. He said he would take 950.00 for them. I told him I didn't think I wanted them. If not for them being 1976 models I would have totally forgot about them. A couple days go buy and he calls me and I told him again I didn't want them. Another week goes by and he calls to tell me he is hard pressed and willing to deal if I could make the trip that day. They were predicting heavy snow and high winds so I was hesitant to travel. plus I was having a rough time with a heriniated disc in my back. I told him I would think about it and call him in an hour. I offerd him 400.00 and he said 500.00 was the best he could do. I again asked if he was sure that all the drivers were working and he said yes. I said OK, I will take them for 500.00 if I can listen to make sure drivers are working. Then I find out they were not exactly in Watertown but farther north. About a 460 mile round trip. I get in the car at 12:30 PM on Wed.. I hit Heavy snow and high winds just north of Syracuse. I arrived about 4 pm. Seller had a very large Doberman pincher in a cage in the living room. He was growling and showing his teeth. The seller bald face lied about the speakers. Lots off veener missing, Jammed corners, Cigerette burn on the top and lots of deep scratches.. My first instinct was to turn around and walk out. I insisted on listening to them and much to my surprise all drivers were original and working. k55v with push terminals. k77 round magnet tweeters. AA crossovers. After extensive testing I determined there were no sonic issues with the drivers or cabinets. The seller was getting quite irritated with all the testing. I realized that I was in a vulnerable postion. After the way the guy lied to me I didn't trust him not to set the dog on me. My only comfort was the loaded 32 caliber walters ppk in my pocket. By this time the storm had gotten worse. I figured 250 lbs.of la scalas would give me a little better traction in the snow. I didn't really want to go home empty handed plus I needed them for summer time outdoor use. I made him give me a reciept and hit the road. Driving conditions had gotten alot worse. Accidents at every over pass. 2 state plow trucks were driving side by side to keep trafic at 35 mph. After about 10 miles I said screw this and passed them on the right hand shoulder. Got home about 10pm. I beat the worst part of the storm. They got over a foot of snow where I picked up the speakers with wide spread power outage. Moral of the story is there are some real scum bags out there. My gut told me not to go but I went anyway. No fool like an old fool. I will try to post pics but don't think I will be able to. What a hobby!

post-18012-138194195676_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a trip I made to pick up some khorns. At one point there was no visibility at all...just white all around me...I couln't stop for fear of someone hitting me...I couldn't see to veer off and wait it out....all I could see was the double white on the road. Eventually I was able to pull off and wait it out.

glad you made it home ok.

For $500 you did get a good deal IMHO. Too bad you had to drive so far and in the weather conditions you experienced. Did the seller hope someone who was legally blind would buy them and not see the physical condition they were in or what??

everyone knows the Walther PPK in .32ACP hits like a brick through plate glass...(Mr. Bond)...sorry for your troubles but I think $500 for nicely working (but ugly Wink ) LaScalas is a nice deal anyway...

Bill

I wouldn't drive across town to pay any more than $400 for those, let alone almost 400 miles, and then they would be for garage or outdoor use! I can understand taking them after driving all that way, so you did not leave empty handed, but after driving 360 miles in bad weather for a blatent liar, I would be da&ned tempted to shoot the dog, just to make a point! (and NO, I am not joking about that either!!!)

Roger

I went to see some La Scalas in the paper for $400. When I showed up they were in a small trailer with a weird young man and his crazy pa. It was straight out of scary rednek land. The speakers did not have a klipsch name on them anywhere. They could have been decorators but I passed. I got two blocks away and a cop pulled me over asking lots of questions about why I was there. He told me not to go back that they were "dangerous". Yikes.

Had a recent CL issue recently as well, 2 times actually. Thefirst was actually via thegarage sell section here, a girl was trying to sell some RF7 in my area approx 200 miles away, I made the trip 2 time to try and get them both times she was suddenly unavailable. The second time was on CL from a guy in my area, selling chorus II's good price and said were in great condition. Upon calling him he says "oh , the speakers need some work i didn't say that in the add, someone sanded the speakers down and both passives need reconed." I said maybe i can come by and look at them . scheduled a time for the enxt day called him to verify time and the got shot down.

Stinks seeing "good deals" and being duped into thinking people are honest.