Jubilee and passive networks - long and possibly inflammatory

greg928gts

The Jubilee is not even an authorized Klipsch speaker, and it is not produced by Klipsch for consumer use. ANY "Jubilee" speaker purchased outside of commercial sound suppliers that are authorized Klipsch contractors have been bad boys, per Amy and others at Klipsch

Perhaps you could name a single Jubilee purchase that was made outside of an authorized Klipsch cinema dealer?

Just one, ok? It's not too high of a standard for you to meet given your implication above is it?

My only restriction on you is, it must be a new purchase and not someone buying something on the used market like the guy who bought Dean's or the other guy who bought some from someplace that was going out of business (a theater I think).

Since we'll wait for he!! to freeze over for your list of none, maybe you could expand further on these conversations you've had with Amy "and others at Klipsch" where you've discussed this mythical crowd making Jubilee purchases from unauthorized Klipsch dealers....especially, since there haven't been any.

Slow down there Richard....I think that's asking a lot from Maron's Cheerleading Squad.

Moron,

I apologize if you have already said this but which
Klipsch Jubilee did you hear? Which HF horn, driver, crossover and
amps were used?

rigma

That's it, Rigma. Intentional or not, you've hit the head right on the nail.

I remember from my class room days that any experiment conducted required a control or constant so that you can apportion some kind of validity to any findings. At least with the Klipschorn you have your control. The basic sound has been fairly constant for the last 60 years. This lends itself to those tweakers and experimenters who believe they can offer a 'better' sound be implementing one of their modiffications. You can always go back to the 'stock' sound and start again.

When you lack any form of control or constant, which the Jubilee appears to lack, confusion and dissatisfaction can set in with those that have taken the plunge. This not to imply the current version of the Jubilee can't sound really good with a particular crossover/HFhorn/amplifier/room combination. It's just that there are too many cooks in the kitchen at the moment not following a recipe...

When you lack any form of control or constant, which the Jubilee appears to lack, confusion and dissatisfaction can set in with those that have taken the plunge. This not to imply the current version of the Jubilee can't sound really good with a particular crossover/HFhorn/amplifier/room combination. It's just that there are too many cooks in the kitchen at the moment not following a recipe...

Where DO you guys get your 'facts'?

Fact 1: There is only a single cook in the kitchen and that would be Roy

Fact 2: Anyone who calls Roy and says "gimme your best setup" He might then ask, "do you want to spend "X" dollars and get the K69 driver on the K402 or would you rather spend "Y" dollars and get the TAD 4002 driver on the K402" Other than that, the person is more than likely going to be shown the bass bin as we know it and the K402 as the best recipe he's got to offer. That would be Roy's recipe for the best sonic foot he can put forward, choice of K69/TAD not withstanding.

Fact 3: Any solution Roy might offer, will be based on the persons desire and wallet. (K510/402, K69/TAD or maybe bassbin alone?)

Fact 4: Anything that Roy cooks in his kitchen will have had some simmering time in his chamber to make sure he's got it right

Fact 5: The buyer will then be put into contact with an authorized Klipsch dealer who will then happily take said persons money and get it ordered for them and have it drop shipped.

Now... for those of you who think it's plug ugly? That's fine...I respect your thoughts and opinion as I would have to admit...it would be nicer to have a "Khorn" looking Jubilee in my room than a black monolith. This is not to say that I dislike the looks, but I'm willing to admit that a 'furnature' look would be nicer.

Along that same logic though, how many of you who are unwilling to fork out $7,000 continue to ignore the fact ([Y]) that the speaker in the picture you all drool over is EXACTLY like the unit sitting in my living room with some fancy panels added to it?

Would you rather order it with the fancy panels and spend $15,000/20,000 or order the underpinnings like we have and have the opportunity to put your own finish on it?

post-15072-13819436014_thumb.jpg

Hi Edwinr, I believe your above statement is in serious error. There have been, since day one of the development of the Jubilee, at least three constants, or standards, through which development evolved. The first was the very standard you referenced, the Klipschorn. The second and third constants were the developers themselves, PWK and RD.

There have been only two cooks in the Jubilee kitchen, PWK and RD. Now one faithful cook remains to continue the work. We are blessed that the remaining cook has permitted us to journey along side and learn as he continues the Master's work. How many other manufacturers would permit that?

These statements and others in this thread are nothing more than sophistry.

I remember from my class room days that any experiment conducted required a control or constant so that you can apportion some kind of validity to any findings. At least with the Klipschorn you have your control. The basic sound has been fairly constant for the last 60 years. This lends itself to those tweakers and experimenters who believe they can offer a 'better' sound be implementing one of their modiffications. You can always go back to the 'stock' sound and start again.

Lets see we have how many different Woofers, Midrange,Tweeters,Midrange Horns as well as the A, AA, AK, AK2, AK3, AK4, AK5 Klipschorns

Which one is your reference or do you think they all sound the same? The AK2, AK3, and AK4 each have a different tonal balance that IMO anyone could hear if you did a direct comparison!

Wrong! Roy's the only cook and has very well documented design options!

Now just like those DIY individuals who modify the Klipschorn or would choose to do their own thing with the Jubilee LF/ Whatever HF Horn/Driver /Crossovers well I hope they are mature adults that are fully capable of being responsible for their choices and will acknowledge that what they have created is their own design. Building from a Khorn or Jub LF horn based system is a great option for the DIY type person!

I appreciate your considered replies to my post, guys. But

somehow I think that some of you are punch drunk with people maybe

unfairly (although in some cases maybe not) Jubilee bashing. I

am not bagging the concept of the Jubilee. I would really like

to embrace PWK's original Jubilee concept as it stands. But

there are too many variables for someone like me to feel comfortable

with - $7000+ is an awful lot of dollars to splash around on an

untested product. I have noted that a number of Jubilee owners

have come out and stated the good and bad points of Jubilee

ownership. I thank them for their honesty. I would have

been most upset buying a Jubilee in one of it's several manifestations and then have been disappointed in my listening room.

Some may say "you don't have to buy it" or "the

Jubilee as it stands is only for a select group of people" or

other stuff like that. Well my response is, is that I believe

PWK intended the Jubilee to be for everyone to take home and enjoy.

I am convinced that someone with an obvious passion for audio like

Klipsch's Chief Engineer would be ecstatic if he could slip a few

more Jubilee's into people's homes.

I would like to see a factory standard model, preferably with a

simple passive cross-over network, reviewed by an independent audio

journalist. Now that would be something to read.

Speaking of PWK (with the utmost respect), I wonder how the

Jubilee would have turned out if PWK finished the development.

Or if Klipsch gave Roy a big enough budget to finish developing this

speaker as a full on Klipsch home audio product. [:P]

Anyhow, I can't help but drowl over this pic...

post-15368-1381943609384_thumb.jpg

Just some more thoughts about this Jubilee thing. Maybe Klipsch could market a 'domestic' Jubilee as a genuine Klipschorn alternative for the dummies like me. Similar in finsh to the above Jubilee pic with PWK. The rest of you guys who like fiddling and tinkering can go down the diy path and continue to harrass poor 'ol Roy... [:)]

... and thanks to greg928gts for that excellent writeup. Your comments about the merits of including a simple passive cross-over with the Jubilees makes sense:

"I think the
Jubilee high end would be much better if it had a tweeter and a
midrange horn that didn’t require processing beyond a simple crossover
network. I think some of you Jubilee owners out there
would be surprised at how good the Jubilee bass bin would sound with a
wooden tractrix horn with a quality 2” driver, a Beyma CP-25 tweeter
and a simple crossover network. Or, the type of two-way
setup that Mike Klementovich is using, a Martinelli wood horn with a
Beyma CP750ND on the Jub bass bins with a simple passive crossover
network. Or HECK, how about a Khorn top end with a Cornwall crossover?"

Active electronic processing of any sort is objectionable to me. It could be my imagination but I have always felt there was a subtle underlying electronic 'hash' with any active cross-over I have ever listened to...

edwinr

what is missing in most of everyone's history of the jubilee and why it is handled the way it is, is this: klipsch quit pursuing the jub as an official project with the passing of Paul. it was never to see the light of day since no one in sales ever saw it being sold like our other lines. that was understandable. what is almost always lost in the translation, truth morphed into tales, and just good ole confusion because the preverted myths are almost more interesteing than the boring truth is that some people really wanted a jub. as paul allowed us to market the lf cabinet in cinema, i mistakenly, in retrospect, piped up that if they really wanted a jub, really really wanted a jub than it could be possible. from that perspective, i, along with others, get preturbed when people make comments without knowing the whole story. the jub, as it is, will always be the only way to get it. and people will just have to suck it and accepted it.....or not........and continue the mindless rants.....

take care,

roy

• Like 1

"This has nothing at all to do with Klipsch as a company. As I have said, the Jubilee as a home speaker is not even an official project here. I hope you can make that distinction." Straight from the Klipsch HQ...the Jubilee is not a system available outside of contracted supply channels. As previously noted, some people would rather denigrate or kill someone than laugh at themselves, or with others.

There soon will be another thread on some audio forum where someone asks what speakers will produce good bass, image well, have a medium footprint, and cost under $500. Of course the Monty Python Jubilee answer will be hazarded at some time, to which the chant shall begin.

what is almost always lost in the translation, truth morphed into tales, and just good ole confusion because the preverted myths are almost more interesteing than the boring truth is that some people really wanted a jub. as paul allowed us to market the lf cabinet in cinema, i mistakenly, in retrospect, piped up that if they really wanted a jub, really really wanted a jub than it could be possible. from that perspective, i, along with others, get preturbed when people make comments without knowing the whole story. the jub, as it is, will always be the only way to get it. and people will just have to suck it and accepted it.....or not........and continue the mindless rants.....

take care,

roy

Roy, I hope any regret (" i mistakenly") you ever feel over having helped us to pursue the Jubilee is but momentary! Instead I hope you more often remember that there are those of us who have a deep respect for PWK (the man as well as his work) as I know you do and what he and you accomplished with the Jubilee and I as well as some others I'm sure will always be thankfull that you let us pursue and continue to pursue the best from the Jubilee!

The exchange of ideas and friendships brought about by the common interest shared by the Jubilee owners continues to amaze me because it knows no boundaries. I have talked to people from England,Germany,Canada and all across the United States who do understand the Jubilee as we know it and are confident in themselves and understand what it is going to take to own these special speakers. Anyone who has ever contacted me about owning the Jubilee can tell anyone that I never try to talk them into a Jubilee (I wouldn't want that responsibility) but I will gladly tell anyone about my experiences, taste in music and musical reproduction and also listen to what they like and have experienced in the past to see if we can have a common language to connect on but one thing I've never run into was anyone who didn't understand that in the end they had to make up their own mind! For all of us(some more than others who never had the oportunity to even hear the Jubilee before purchase) it has been a leap based on logic and faith and as reminder I do remember early on Roy posted the Jubilee was not for the faint of heart but instead would require efforts on the owner's part.

What I don't understand is all of this has been known from the begining and yet from shortly after the begining we have had a few people who for what ever hidden reasons want to troll and attack and spread misinformation about the Jubilee's that many of us have chosen to own. I also don't believe the main people guilty of doing this would ever buy a Jubilee in whatever form that it came about in but instead they have confessed even in this thread that they just like to get us owners upset!

mike tn

edwinr

what
is missing in most of everyone's history of the jubilee and why it is
handled the way it is, is this: klipsch quit pursuing the jub as an
official project with the passing of Paul. it was never to see the
light of day since no one in sales ever saw it being sold like our
other lines. that was understandable. what is almost always lost in
the translation, truth morphed into tales, and just good ole confusion
because the preverted myths are almost more interesteing than the
boring truth is that some people really wanted a jub. as paul allowed
us to market the lf cabinet in cinema, i mistakenly, in retrospect,
piped up that if they really wanted a jub, really really wanted a jub
than it could be possible. from that perspective, i, along with
others, get preturbed when people make comments without knowing the
whole story. the jub, as it is, will always be the only way to get
it. and people will just have to suck it and accepted it.....or
not........and continue the mindless rants.....

take care,

roy

Thanks for posting that, Roy. You've offered some interesting insight into the whole Jubilee thing. I didn't know Klipsch were letting the Jubilee go as a project. Wow! That was brave of you to make that offer...

You have to respect though, my desire that the Jubilee should be in the Klipsch product line. You will note that my comments have been supportive of this desire and I was thinking how nice it would be to have more money allocated to this end. But the current economic climate isn't helping.

Also I hope I wasn't ranting. Just asking questions and making some suggestions about what I would like to see happen with something I would maybe like to upgrade to in the future...

Oh well. Maybe the Palladium is the way to go.

Have a really Happy New Year everyone...

Kind regards,

Edwin.

(P.S. But in saying all of the above, greg928gts and Roy have got me thinking... If the curent Jubilee is so customizible (sorry!) then maybe those with say a pair of Belles or Cornwalls could use their mid and treble horns on top of the Jubilee bass horn with a suitable passive crossover as an upgrade option, rather than selling their beloved speakers and losing lots of money. Hmmmm....)