Good Boy to Bad Boy??

CIGARBUM

I must have the worst luck in the world, my nice pretty new MC275 went dead on me last night as we were having dinner. Maybe it didn't like the Christmas music. Any way, you who have been following the thread know the first one bit the big one when I first turned it on. That may have been my fault, they report that there was condensation in side and cross arched when the power was turned on. Boxed it up and sent it back, sent me a new one, well this time I unboxed it and let it set in the middle of the living room floor while I stared at it for 8 full hours. Hooked it up, made all the connections, checked, double checked, triple checked everything. With much anticipation, I turned it on and the sound coming out of the Cornwalls was wonderful.

The wonderfullyness lasted about a day and a half. Just getting ready to set down to eat and I put Bing Crosby's Christmas Favorites on . At about the third bite of turkey it went dead, the music died. Kinda like American Pie. Unplugged and felt like crying, checked the fuse, blown. Don't want to try another fuse, fuses blow for a reason. I'll call the folks and explain my plite. They probably think I;m plugging this think into 440 or something. Everything else kept working, no power bump, just stopped.

Be careful, Good Boys sometime are rewarded as Bad Boys. Condolences will be accepted.

Don't feel bad, my Sansui AU9900A bit the dust again the other day. One channel nasty and crackly. Back to the shop....

Oh yeah, the HD player- after a firmware upgrade and a couple of weeks of good play, it's back to SYSTEM ERROR or NO DISC on screen- arrgggghh

Thank goodness we have plenty of backups, eh?

Michael

Don't feel bad, my Sansui AU9900A bit the dust again the other day. One channel nasty and crackly. Back to the shop.... Michael

Oh well.... Maybe you "pis*ed in the volume pot" LOLOL!!!! Seriously, With new use on the vintage ones that sat around collecting dust for several years, residual dust will work it's way loose and cause that.

See attached PDF; you can do that clean out yourself.

I guess I could understand it if it were a used unit , but brand new MK V. All the units are supposed to bench tested before they leave the facility. Just a bummer man. I'll just hook up the old MC2105 till the other one get returned.

Hope everyone got lots of nice presents.

Merry Christmas to all.

CB

not knowing where you purchased this fine amp, I would be interested in an update as to how this issue was dealt with - both from the dealer and Mac.

More so that this was the second one that died. Would be interesting to know what happened.

I hope everything works out for you CB....

James

fuses blow for many reasons as i am sure you already know i had the exact same problem last night i have the cary 805's running i put a little more volume to it and pow right channel goes dead, check the fuses and the main power fuse is gone the 2 tube fuses show a reading replace the fuse and now the 300b comes up for standby but thats it, no music !!!!!!! turns out i had a new (less than 5 hours) tj845 go belly up. replace the tubes and the other 2 fuses and we have music again.........

i hate blowing a fuse it always makes me feel as though there is some underlying issue and i am in for some expensive repairs !!!!!!!!!

Joe

I wonder if he lost an output tube here.

I have read some reports regarding the newer MC275.....the Mc labeled output tubes occasionally fail, and when one does, it often takes a resistor along with it. This is definitely an amp that needs reliable power tubes. Unfortunately things aren't so good in KT88-land right now, as very little is coming out of Shuguang these days, and the new Gold Lions are problematic in some amps with certain sets of operating conditions (although I do NOT know if the MC275 is in that group).

I would also question whether or not 8 hours is enough time to bring that amp to room temp out of the cold. I have been given similar warnings about my tube gears - I typically leave a boxed unit in it's box overnight once brought inside (which deters condensation in and of itself) - then unbox and let stand another 24 hours minimum. I got a bit of a first hand lesson on this with tubes.....I get a midwinter delivery of a box of tubes, open them, then watch the water vapor condense on the tubes as the warm air hits them. Not good for the lettering on the tubes - and not good in an electrical environment. That little "experience" had me thinking a great deal about those prior admonitions regarding tube gear coming out of cold weather.....and with pricey tube gear it never hurts to be careful and sure. I THEN think: IF there is condensation on the INNER enclosed portion of the chassis of this amp, it may very well take longer than 8 hours for that to "dry", especially since that's a more enclosed/less exposed area.

And who knows - maybe none of this is at issue, but I thought worth mentioning......I'll be curious as to what problems were found.

Good Boy to Bad Boy back to Good Boy. ""The Mountain will rockin "again" tonight. Issue in the MC275 has been corrected, amazing what a quad of Gold Lion power tubes will do. Many, many thank to Frank and all the folks at Audio Classic, these people did everything in their power to get me up and running in shortest amount of time, my hats off to you all. Can't remember whjich member said Audio Classic didn't give very good customer service, well they have just proved his statement wrong in my book.

I would also like to thank Neil Golden for all hiis wonderful help throughout my tranatic issue.

CB