Nostalgia???

SilverSport

Can someone tell me if it is just nostalgia or perhaps being more secure financially or is it just age that makes one want to buy things that they may have wanted years ago but couldn't then afford???

It seems lately that I have bought some things that I wanted but couldn't then justify or afford but always "wanted."...Klipsch speakers (Heritage for me please)...Panasonic Lumix DMC L-1 (looks like a Leica rangefinder camera)...thinking about a Winchester 9410 (.410 shotgun built on the "old west" looking lever action Winchester 94)...

Is it perhaps just the boredom of a boring Winter???...age (I'm 47)???...too much time on my hands (apologies to STYX)...? [:P]

Your thoughts...anyone else feel like this from time to time???

Bill

beautiful...so that is what getting older is...when you are younger you spend that part of your life saving for retirement and as I get older I spend it all on stuff???...Wink

Thanks,

Bill

Not just on "stuff" unfortunately. As you approach 50, you find that little things start going wrong. Things hurt in places you didn't know you had. Your doctor says "I like to see everyone over 50 every 6 months". And before you know it, you're helping your doctor buy new "stuff". [*-)]

beautiful...so that is what getting older is...when you are younger you spend that part of your life saving for retirement and as I get older I spend it all on stuff???...Wink

Thanks,

Bill

Not just on "stuff" unfortunately. As you approach 50, you find that little things start going wrong. Things hurt in places you didn't know you had. Your doctor says "I like to see everyone over 50 every 6 months". And before you know it, you're helping your doctor but new "stuff". Confused

of that I have no doubt and I believe I must have gotten an early start with my Doc... [;)]

Bill

For others, just buying new stuff ain't enough. My uncle and brother-in-law, both older than we are (I'm 48), left their wives of 30+ years this past year for other women. If you can contain your mid-life crisis to just buying the "stuff" you have always wanted, you're doing alright IMO. It's rough watching their lives and the lives of their spouses and children fall apart in front of my eyes. It's also costing them a fortune!

Actually what I think you're describing is more like planning ahead than nostalgia. As you went through life you learned what you would do when you could afford to do it, and now you can. Absolutely it was the smart way to go and you really enjoy doing it because you patiently waited to savor the moment. I think a mid-life crisis is deciding to try things that you think make you appear younger looking or acting. Nostalgia would be something you once experienced that had more affect on you than you knew. You then come across it again later in life and WHAM some deep feeling wells up from inside and you remember what was going on in your life back then. This sort of thing leads me to a lot of music acquisitions. Most recently I heard "Younger Girl" by the Loving Spoonful. I had not heard that in 35+ years. Now I own it and listen at will. We get better with age so why not live better too?

Not just on "stuff" unfortunately. As you approach 50, you find that little things start going wrong. Things hurt in places you didn't know you had.

I just experienced my 50th the day before yesterday. Birthdays don't usually bother me, but this one hit like a brick to the head.

That said, I'd really like to have a Honda Mini Trail 50 like the one in Chicago_Pete's avatar -- I had one when I was a kid, but sold it to buy a "ten-speed" bicycle (back when they really WERE ten speeds).

Ah, Bill. Thanks for the post on a most interesting question. You've got some good thoughts there, which sort of ring true. It's the same season while we are figuring out that it's all just stuff and now what really matters anyway, but it is fun.

With more apologies to Styx, just think of a few more of their songs....

Come Sail Away

Fooling Yourself

The Grand Illusion

The Best of Times

Renegade

just for fun, why not, Lady, Lorelei,

or maybe ELP: :Lucky Man!

When I was in my speaker collecting phase a few years back it was a situation where the item that I lusted after is now so accesable. I wanted JBL L100T's so badly when I was 19 and when I found a mint pair on Craigslist for a good price I just bought them. I bought K Horns for the same reason. I had never even seen a pair in person but lusted after them in magazines. A pair popped up locally and I bought them. Kind of like in the movie "American Beauty" where Kevin Spacy said, "its the car I lways wanted so I bought it." Can't argue with that.

I'm turning 40 very soon and it is fun to buy vinyl again. Sifting through records at the store just like in the 70's and 80's. I feel like a kid again. A very good friend in his 50's says the same thing.

Gary made a great point though, not a good idea to try to "upgrade" the better half in the midst of a mid life crisis. My brother is going through a very expensive divorce right now at the age of 43. Yuck. Bad idea.