Forte's Should I buy them??

oldmako

OK, this is going to be insanely subjective but here goes....all I am looking for is your opinion.

I currently own a pair of CF-3s. I got them mint and cheap. They are the finest speakers I've ever owned and I love them. I'm in the bush leagues compared to many of you with regard to my gear, but I have what I can afford and listen to music constantly. I now have the opportunity to purchase a pair of Fortes (original not the II's he thinks) from the originial owner. He claims that they are in mint condition in appearance and sound. The foto shows them to be in excellent condition. He is asking 400 bucks. Local guy so no shipping.

I don't really need them, but I want them and they seem cheap. They also seem to be very highly regarded by many of you as I read the old posts.

I currently do not own any tube gear. Will this hamper my ability to fully utilize them? They'd make great end tables and rear channel speakers should I decide to go that route.

Thanks in advance.

They're perfect, as in showroom right out of the box from Hope. The boxes, and the spare grill are in the same condition.

Everything he owned was perfect, from his gazillion dollar carbon fibre armed TT to his house. There was no way I could low ball him. I handed him the $395 and we shook hands.

He is replacing them with a speaker I have never heard of.....Schwein-something or other?? He said they were very very expensive.

So...now what to do with them. I set them up next to my CFs and the difference was amazing but not in a good or bad way. Just a totally different sound. I actually found the CFs a tad brighter and a bit bassier. However, the Fortes were pretty far from the wall and fairly close together. With the PR on the back I imagine that placement of them is crucial. It was all quick and dirty so I can't really comment beyond that. They sounded phenomenal on his gear.

Craigslist times two. Mint CF-3s for $240 and now these. Now I need to bring the rest of my stuff up to speed!

Many thanks for the input!!

Neophyte FNG Stereo-Geek.

ps....just kiddin' on the end tables

OM,

Here is an excellent review of the Klipsch Fortes from Greg Smith....circa 1996 which should answer all your questions.

http://www.soundstage.com/greg01.htm

I like this Quote"
I like these best sitting about 1-2’ from the left, right, and rear
walls. Pull them far out into the room and they don’t sound as good.
Another things to watch out for is toe-in. Most people angle their
speakers so that the drivers are directly facing them. Bad idea
here--you want these facing directly forward, with no toe-in rotation
toward the center."

• Moderators

You are right. Placement of Fortes is the key to their sound. If you placed them "pretty far from the wall and close together" you certainly did not capitalize on the Forte sound so many of us are fond of.

Were they Fortes or Forte IIs? Either way you got a really good deal even if they weren't quite "showroom perfect". But...with the boxes and spare grill (?) you really did well.

Please let us know what you think once you have a little more time to arrange and listen to these beauties. I would be interested to hear what you think after you have heard them property set up.

BTW, I'm glad to hear you were just kiddin' about the endtables! LOL

Oldmako:

congrats!!!! you got a nice deal and you showed a lot of class the way you handled yourself in the deal [Y].......And I am by no means saying that I have not wheeled and dealed, and lowballed in my day.....but it seems that you assessed the situation like a real gentleman....BTW you stole them

Anyway just wanted to say that it's a pleasure to have you posting (unlike some other caped crusaders lately) and I for one, really hope you stick around and join in the maddness.........

Be carful of that Groomlake51 character, or before you know it you'll have, 3 pairs of heresies, two pairs khorns, belles, chorus, corns..........He worked his Wall of Voodoo Magic on me, and now I can't buy enough bourbon!!!!! [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

I'm tearing the place apart in an attempt to find them a happy spot. For the time being I have them in my bedroom approx 10 feet apart and within about 6 inches of the corners. They sound (as you might expect) fantastic. If I can figure out how, I'll post a few pics just to show their condition....or one could just look at the ones on the website as they look the same. (Oh gawd...now I'm gloating!)

Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Be carful of that Groomlake51 character, or before you know it you'll have, 3 pairs of heresies, two pairs khorns, belles, chorus, corns..........He worked his Wall of Voodoo Magic on me, and now I can't buy enough bourbon!!!!! Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

So that explains why those voices have gotten stronger since I've brought home a rather compact pair of Heresies that temporarily resided in the Wall of Voodoo... [8][8][:D][:D][:D] [:D] [8][8]