Should I hook up my old turntable?

merkin

I been thinking about conecting my old technics direct drive turntable. Haven't had it out in 15-20 years. When I put it away I had just put a new shure cartirige on it. I wonder if it will still work. Maybe that will be the entertainment for the evening.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I been thinking about conecting my old technics direct drive turntable. Haven't had it out in 15-20 years. When I put it away I had just put a new shure cartirige on it. I wonder if it will still work. Maybe that will be the entertainment for the evening.

I just went back to spinning records since 20+ years. Picked up a used Thorens turntable for a hundred bucks.

It's pretty cool re-living the vinyl thing......it's even cooler buying six used albums for twenty bucks. [:D]

Well I did it. The turntable worked great no problems. I was suprised at how good vinyl still sounded. The last time I had heard any of my records was through a cheap receiver and some homemade speakers I had put together. I had never heard my albums through the forte II's. I have a few in both CD and in vinyl. The vinyl seems a little mellower, if that is a word. I even found my old disc washer set up and anti static gun. Maybe I'll hit a few garage sales and increase my record collection some.

Sure. Just be aware that if your present system has a good subwoofer, you might have to turn the sub way down or off since the rumble it reproduces could cause feedback through your phono stylus.

I did this and it gave me the brown tone. Scared the willies out of me.

The funniest part for me was when the album side is over and I'm wondering why my CD ened so quick...

Think of it as a new exercise program.

That is so true, while listening to vinyl, I often look at the CD Player to see what track I am on.....and you can't just hit the skip forward or backward button when listening to vinyl. But the beautiful sound is worth all the exercise!

Lets not forget the cleaning! Oh, the cleaning must be done! [:S] But it is all part of this great hobby!

One good thing is, I can usually read the liner notes with out a magnifying glass! [<:o)]

Have fun and remember to ask all of your friends to "Borrow" their vinyl, you'll be surprised how many people will just give you there "old" vinyl!

Dennie

The technics is a SL-D2 automatic with a strobe to set the pitch. It worked like a charm. I just had to remember how to operate it. The first album was Linda Ronstadt "Living in The USA" I don't know if it was because I always liked the cover with her in rollerskates and short shorts or since some how I have two copies of it so if I ruined one at start up no big deal. Next was Rollingstones "Through the Past Darkly" which was the first album I ever bought when I was in 7th grade in 1968 or 69. No 7th grade didn't take me two years, I just haven't figured out which year I was in it. This afternoon I stopped at Goodwill and picked up about 10 more albums for $13.00. Nothing great just some old rock and country rock. There was a lot of Giovani (sp) that looked in great shape there. Don't know if it is worth anything. They also had about 20 or so 78's with Lawrence Welk and Frank Yakovich polkas. They were real heavy. The store is 1/2 mile from my house so if anyone wants some of that let me know.

Just be aware that if your present system has a good subwoofer, you might have to turn the sub way down or off since the rumble it reproduces could cause feedback through your phono stylus.

With the Technics "disco-proof" suspension? Not likely to be a problem. I can rap my knuckles on the plinth of my SL-1400MK2 and not hear a thing through the speakers, even at high volume settings.

Just be aware that if your present system has a good subwoofer, you might have to turn the sub way down or off since the rumble it reproduces could cause feedback through your phono stylus.

With the Technics "disco-proof" suspension? Not likely to be a problem. I can rap my knuckles on the plinth of my SL-1400MK2 and not hear a thing throught the speakers, even at high volume settings.

WOW. With my Technics, when I put the dust cover down you can hear it over the speakers. And I have to wear ballet shoes while playing vinyl.

Time for a new TT, I guess.