Reflections on 5,000 Posts

Mallette

Guess I should mark this somehow, as I just noticed...

1. I've received far more than I've contributed.

2. If people with ideas this diverse can get along, world peace is not out of the question.

3. There have been times when I felt the presence of PWK palpably.

4. The concept of "virtual friendships" evaporated when we lost OB and I cried REAL tears.

5. Not only is this not a waste of time, I've improved my writing, logic, electronic, forensics, and a number of other skills that have made me a better person.

6. Hosting listening sessions has brought people to my home I'd never otherwise have socialized with...and I wound up likeing them more than many of those with whom I DO socialize.

I may think of and add some more...

Dave

Congrats on the 5,000 post milestone Dave. I'm not sure congrats is the right word. Maybe I should say thanks for all of your contributions and for making this forum a better place to hang. Your honesty and "no BS" posting style is always refreshing. I always enjoy reading what you have to say.

Here's to the next 5,000!

- Gary

Thanks for being an active member of this great forum......errrrr......ahhhh ......Family! It means alot to me to have people like you here to help/guide us less knowledgeable about this great hobby!

Here's to 5000 more!

Dennie

Right on Dave!! [:D]

....Just got over 1000 myself. Hoping that by the time I reach 5000 I'll be able to comprehend most everything you guys are talking about, as I'm still very much a newbie.

Congrats and hope to read 5000 more of your posts. [Y]

Thanks to al who've helped me celebrate this little milestone. All of you have enriched my life in some way. We share life and death, love and loss, joys and sorrows, and the elusive goal of recreating an acoustical event in time-space. "Audiophile" is an understatement for that goal. We are alchemists, turning abandoned bedrooms into cathedrals, then deftly into a caberet with a wave of the hand.

Pretty good trick, if you ask me.

I've searched back to my first few tentative posts and recall the worries over how I was precieved and the since of voices from the blackness. After 7 years and 5k posts, many of those voices have faces attached and almost all have personalities, familes, jobs, aspirations, frustrations, and all that makes up life. I know the sounds of systems I've never heard or seen.

It's good. I think I'll stay awhile if you guys don't mind.

I am reprinting a piece I posted after a hiatus from the forum a couple of years ago. I think the sentiments still hold true:

It was good to be home.

I’d been away for far too long and the vicissitudes of travel through the outer world had taken their toll. Whether the barbarians of the hinterlands or the shallow dilatants of the cities, I yearned for the comradeship and security of my own kind. The
landing at Klipsch International was a bit bumpy as some sort of
digitalist terrorist threat to unleash a virus had raised security
levels and the portals were seriously clogged. The
customs official gave me a quick onceover, but his obviously practiced
eye immediately determined that I was unlikely to be carrying illegal
bose or anything else in suspension. Finally, I was through the portal and standing on the street. I
needed none of the gewgaws and gadgets in the commercial sector, so I
jumped into my Explorer and headed straight for the Forum.

I’d been away so long that I took the long road home through the Theatre District. Nothing much had changed there. Sheriff Unger’s car passed with lights a blazing, undoubtedly en route to separate some vicious attack by partisans of one philosophy or the other. It was raucous, incredibly loud and the senses were constantly assaulted from all directions. Brilliant lights flashed with images of all description, including some of questionable taste…Yikes! Everywhere touts tried to drown each other out with the virtues of the experience they offered. “More channels than ever before! Well, I yet to evolve past two ears, thank God, so I moved on. I vowed not to return unless there was something good playing at Eqshadimars, the only really respectable place in town.

Tech
Town was buzzing with the recent discovery of a vast trove of NOS
cold-war era tubes and the effect it would have on the market. The
sages were on their soapboxes as always, and the advice they freely
handed out to anyone who would listen was the same, as always.

The most devoted of the auld school denizens where gathered at the Pilgrimage. Before
the great shrine they hawked and traded their precious wears,
occasionally entering the shrine to offer thanks the Legend for the
gifts He provided them. From experience, I knew
that a few of them secretly doubted the Legend’s admonishment that Cord
of Zip was sufficient pathway to all things good and beautiful, and
that the Triune way produced a superior image of truth to that of the
Duality, but most kept these heresies to themselves, at least in while
in the Virtual Presence. Though few in number, I
had enormous respect for these faithful and had often felt the desire
to make the Pilgrimage myself as penance for my frequent lapses into
the surround heresy with its stench of digital supremacist dogma and
frequent threats of format cleansing. Enough, already. I pointed my trusty, but often balky, Explorer towards the suburbs near the river. Traditional, convivial, and cordial homes in an established neighborhood of oh, so responsible neighbors. Heresy is rather rare here, as most have long since embraced the great heritage passed down by their fathers, pure and intact.

I settled into my old spot and breathed in the clean air of the languid stream. I could hear the sound of Delta blues emanating from Marty's. There was also a muffled, somewhat panicky, sound of a pleading voice. Could
the Twins be back and up to their old tricks? Occasional sounds of
hammer against metal suggested that Craig was banging the dents out of
yet another tired old chassis. Overhead, a parrot circled, waiting to dive upon some pest with the bad judgment to enter our refuge. Yep’em, home again. I flipped the switch and the warm glow of tubes radiated their timeless pure light. I was soon lost in the rapturous arms of Bach’s Cantata 121 as the Sunday afternoon drifted along with pretensions of eternity.

Yes, it’s GOOD to be home…

Dave

Dave, thanks for being and active and frequently contributing member of this forum. Some guys just make posts, you seem to always be on topic and have something substantial to add to the discussion. Although I don't have the hardware to enable me to download and play your recorded music, your techniques are intriguing. Congrats on reaching a milestone with the Klipsch brotherhood.

You're certainly right about one thing, I think we nearly always get more than we give around here!

Michael

• Moderators

I may not comment on many things posted but I read most of them, and what I have learned here from people here I could not afford to pay for. The people I met on the forum and then in person are much more important, we have met there family's, at times stayed at there homes and help each other when needed. More or less starting out complete strangers, people who would have never talked or got to know each other considering the many different walks of life this group is made up of.

I owe many people here a thanks for all the help answering questions and advice, also for the friendships that were made and just a chance to be part of this group.

Thank You

Congratulations from a real newbie. As you are well aware I am still learning the rudiments of the forum and it is good to have people like you around to teach us. Keep up the good work.

And thank you, Frank1938...if that is your REAL name. [:D] Seriously, I am always excited to see new folks come join the Kuiverin' Klipsch Klan.

Sheriff Amy's post made me realize I missed a big one, therefore:

1. I've received far more than I've contributed.

2. If people with ideas this diverse can get along, world peace is not out of the question.

3. There have been times when I felt the presence of PWK palpably.

4. The concept of "virtual friendships" evaporated when we lost OB and I cried REAL tears.

Not only is this not a waste of time, I've improved my writing, logic,
electronic, forensics, and a number of other skills that have made me
a better person.

6. Hosting listening sessions has brought people
to my home I'd never otherwise have socialized with...and I wound up
likeing them more than many of those with whom I DO socialize.

7. If the U.S. government had people running it as decent, kind, just, wise, and just plain fun as the moderators and other Klipsch employees who run this place, we'd not only be the number one military power, we'd also be the happiest place on earth. I have NEVER felt my freedom to express myself limited in any way not completely justified by the nature of this Forum.

Better late than never...

Dave

Well I just hate people who are more articulate, learned and better writers than me (or is it I or are?) See!

You nailed this place right on the money, good buddy. Looking forward to your next 5000.