"Never pair Klipsch with a Yamaha receiver" Is this true?

syzygy

I have a complete KSP-400 5.1 set-up timbre matched and a yamaha rx-v1500. Long story short, I bought the ksp-400s because I heard them back in 2000 and was blown away, and picked up a nice mahoghany pair with center for $500 last year. I don't have a lot of experience with different systems. Anyway, I was listening to another friends rf-3's last night with a kenwood receiver and the sound was much "nicer." By nicer I mean warmer, less harsh and not as in your face as mine. Is this due to the yamaha and can I change some settings to ameliorate this issue or do I need a different brand of receiver.

I've seen the above sentiment several times and was wondering if/why it is true. ANY suggestions on powering or changing my set-up welcome.

thanks

That's not a statement you'll hear on this forum, since there are lots of members using Yamaha receivers with Klipsch speakers. If your receiver has an impedance switch, make sure it's on the 8 ohm setting (no matter what the speaker impedance rating is), or the sound will be bright and thin.

Also, are the speakers in their ideal position and orientation? Most Klipsch speakers like to be in or near corners for proper bass. Finally, try adjusting the tone controls to get the sound the way you like.

I have paired Yamaha (CA-610 II) with KG2s, Heresys and KSB 1.1s...sounds great with all...my little brother tried newer Yamaha (black colored case earlier Home Theater) with Heresys...convinced him to buy the Heresys...

Bill

Thanks for the responses. I think the speakers are well placed, receiver set at 8 0hms, and I have adjusted the tone which helps to some extent. The issue is aslo not really with bass but mids and highs. I calibrated the system with the ypao mic several times and think the room is optimized although it is a bit small 18X24, with vaulted ceilings.

I think the yamaha and speakers are both properly dialed in. Even the setting like jazz, disco etc., all seem to impart the desired sound effect although I rarely, if ever, use them. The speakers image well and the surrounds blend seemlessly. Nothing seems out of whack but upon hearing a recording that I personally own played through a ps2, into r-3 set akimbo, with junk surrounds I was surpised that the cerra-mettalic, lightweight 3's sounded so much warmer, and less bright, than my 115lb KSp-400s. Thaks for all your input.

I also have a set of DCM TF-350s set up as b-fronts, which seem a lot warmer and less harsh set up with the yamaha, although the clarity, volume and overall sound quality is not there, thay are less taxing to listen too. The DCM aren't great for movies etc, but I prefer them with LP's, at least with the yamaha I have now that's the way it is.

Fyi I have the yamaha rx-v1500, denon dvd 1940ci and cd, and tara labs speaker wires.

• Moderators

One thing you are also comparing two different speakers, in two different rooms, that alone can make a huge difference. Does his room have more rugs, big soft chairs or anything to make the room more dead. Or the other way for you room less carpet/rugs different flooring, all of that effects the sound almost as much as the speakers.

Finally, from my listening and tweaking this system I find the HT performs very well and 7 channel music is good too..but put vocally strong music in 2 channel like R. Plant, Seal, even Tracy Chapman or classical music and there is some harshness and brightness that is taxing especially at the volume I normally listen. So, if HT is OK its probably me but after coming across the Klipsch/Yamaha Oil/Water opinions before I thought I would see what you think. I know these aren't heritage speakers but they should be sounding better than they do and I don't know why. FYI, I have tried all three EQ settings offered by the receiver, low seems to work best.

Probably should just keep it for movies and parties and have a separate 2 channel for music I dunno.

if it's too bright- it's probably the ROOM!

I currently have three systems in my home with Yamaha receivers and Klipsch speakers and never had a complaint. I'm very happy with Yamaha components and like the ease of use in the YPAO system and remote.

Michael

• Moderators

How come no one ever wants to consider the speaker/components are only about 70% of what your hearing ?

Everyone wants to just skip past it like it doesn't exist and change everything else to get a decent match to the room, it's just crazy when sometimes a couple rugs or minor things can make big changes.

Sorry for the rant but probably half of the claimed speaker problems are not the speakers.

Its the receiver.

I'll have to recant my previous testimony. If it's a classic Kenwood receiver, it may very well have a beefier, smoother sound than ANY of today's DSP digital receivers, including, yes Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc.

Why else do so many of us highly valud our HK x30 series and other 'old school' receivers?

M

How come no one ever wants to consider the speaker/components are only about 70% of what your hearing ?

Everyone wants to just skip past it like it doesn't exist and change everything else to get a decent match to the room, it's just crazy when sometimes a couple rugs or minor things can make big changes.

Sorry for the rant but probably half of the claimed speaker problems are not the speakers.

Ditto what they said.

Side note, I had a Yamaha CR-2040 mated with LaScalas for probably 20 years (bought both new and still own both)

I ALWAYS from day one, had clearly noticable hiss from the speakers. You coudl hear it across the room when the volume was down. Since when I bought the Yamaha, the dealer (who also sold McIntosh) said it was one of the best you could get, I simply concluded this noise was something to live with.

It wasn't until I found this forum that I started to realize I didn't HAVE to have hiss spitting at me from across the room.

Other than the hiss at idle, the Yamaha always sounded nice to me.

I would think its due more to the speakers than the amplifier. The KSP are in the Synergy series ~ the lowest price line. RF is the Reference series and quite bit more expensive. Also, sometimes room acoustics can impart a harsh or warmer quality to the sound, so there may be other factors involved.

The Synergy speakers generally sound warmer than Reference, which sound brighter. Were the KSP woofer section improperly adjusted or simply not working correctly then the KSP's may sound foward, but that would apply to any speaker I suppose.

Thaks for the continuing comments. I will say that I think the woofers are adjusted properly although only one is working now and the SVS takes up most of the bass duties. Crossover is usually at 80-90hz. Movies are great on this system ie U-571. The brightness I speake of can be sitting in the optimal position or inches from the speaker. Robert Plant seems to be screeching, Eddie Mercury too. Increase the volume, increases the dissonance. Even my Ksp-s6 sound harsh.

My room has carbet is well laid out and the ypao does little if any adjustments, its pretty balanced for an ht room. The 400 are toed in and the surrounds on stand properly placed. Its not an issue of dissonance, vibration or lack of imaging the raw sound seems to harsh, and bright.

To the previous poster. The KSP line ranks right up there with the rf-5, and rf-7 as they were made before the reference series and were around $3500 for a pair (xtra for mahoghany) and $5000+ for a 5 speaker set. Theay are high quality, heavy speakers, even the suurounds. They should sound as good or better than rf-83 or rf-7 imho.

FYI, If anyone wants the receiver I will sell it and throw in a rx-v1600 that keeps shutting down after pwering up. $400 plus shipping paypal etc.

Also, I came across a rotel rmb-1066 can I use this for power and by pass the yamaha?

I agree that older yamaha receivers may not have these issues but the newer seem to. And for those that posted that all they have used is yammies, then where is the comparison or perspective.

I just want the best, cleanest sound and it seems to me the klipsch/yammie can overemphasize the mid and horns which klipsch does so well making them a little too much.

I am serious about selling and would welcome any suggestions on how to keep the yammie and change the sound or other HT (preferably 7,1) to power the system.

Love this forum and the input, learned a lot./

Thanks

jeff