OT...Compact Pistols

kelA

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sad...So very sad..If we were to have a discussion about religion or politics we'd be shut down....but...oh well.

I don't see anything offensive about this thread. Am I missing something?

Having carried a Glock, I dislike anything with a side safety.

I also really like my NAA 22mag. 5 shot relvover, fits unnoticed in the pocke of your shorts, I have a few shorts with a holster made into the pocket.

post-28352-13819475597318_thumb.jpg

Somehow I wouldn't feel safe unless I had a B.A.R. a la WWII era. Couldn't figure out how to make it smaller though.

JJK

Not quite a BAR, but I understand they are quite effective at close range! [:)]

CCW1.jpg

CCW2.jpg

CCW3.jpg

"IMHO the S&W airweight 357 mag titanuim/scandium frame 5 shot revolver is the ticket."

Agreed. I'm strictly a 1911 shooter, but if I were to carry, it would be a S&W J frame.

"There is no such thing as a magic bullet."

Assuming you know how to hit what you're aiming at, a single round of hardball is all you need.

post-3205-13819475603382_thumb.jpg

The Beretta is a first class piece of gear if the weight does not bother you. The gun that started the wonder nine semiauto revolution and killed the sales of revolvers .The NAA 22 mag is a 1st class well made gun also. A old acquantence of of mine's wife killed an armed attacker- carjacker- with one. It is my understanding that she shot him through the car window with a gun pointed at her. A charlotte police oficer was also killed a few years back by the same model of NAA 22 mag inside of a police car- through the front seat(missed by police body search)- by one of our many fine, upstanding repeat offenders(20 + year long criminal record) that roam free to rape, steal, and murder on our city streets. Very lethal round - I personally prefer more stopping power but that's just my 2 cents worth. CB-Ditto on the Kimber and the Les Baer. Just dont like risking a $2000.00 gun to a car burgular for daily carry. I do keep a Kimber gold Combat II with all the goodies on my nightstand. It is as good as they get. If some people don't like guns I respect their opinion- until they try to restrict my right to buy whatever I choose.

Explanation on the slide safety- Many of the older autos have a slide safety- also some new ones. Many of the new semiautos- Glocks-Smiths-Springfields-Sigs- HKs have internal safeties and decockers which I prefer for personal carry weapons. There are many variations available which further confuses the issue. The most simple setup is the DA-double action- only. The gun is fired with the hammer down which requires a heavy trigger at least on the first shot depending on the design of the gun. This design has no exposed hammer and no decocker lever. Then you have a SA/DA which I prefer. the gun can be operated in the DA- hammer down - mode or the SA or single action mode with the hammer manually cocked to achieve a lighter trigger pull and better accuracy with the first shot given that you have time to do this. The decocker lever in this configuration will safely lower the hammer to the DA or carry position after the first round is worked into the chamber from the magazine of if you decide not to fire the gun. In the HK this is sold as variant 1. My particular HK does have a slide saftey but is is not necessary to use in normal operation- but this does give you the option to carry the gun in condition one(cocked and locked- like the 1911 .45) which I do not reccomend. The really cool thing about the HK line is that you can buy the USP in like 14 variants with the trigger/ hammer operation of your choice. With most of the new hi tech semiautos the slide safety is a non issue.

Many of the shooting ranges will rent the different popular autos to test fire on the range to get a feel of what you prefer. If possible- I highly reccomend doing this before a purchase.

nice 1911A1 Dean...I like the S&W J frame (I prefer the Centenial -640 Family) but I would not pay the difference for Scandium or Titanium...the alloy is just fine for me...more bang for the buck (or less if you jst use .38 specials)...

Bill

SS- somewhat agree- Thing is - the premier round for a 38 or 357 snubbie is the Speer Gold dot "short barrel" round. you can find the 357 mags. 38 s are near impossible to buy . All of the old cops in fla that still carry revolvers bought them up. That is why I opted for the 357.

I carry a springfield xdm 9 IWB in a DM Bullard dual-carry. This will be my first summer trying to conceal a full-frame, we'll see how it goes. I've heard good things about springfields sub-compact series as well as glocks.

"...but this does give you the option to carry the gun in condition one(cocked and locked- like the 1911 .45) which I do not reccomend."

I don't see any difference between cocked and locked on a 1911, and a pistol that's striker fired with no external safety, or a DA with a decocker. Regardless of the design, it requires a willingness and the responsibility to become intimately familiar with the mechanisms in play. Whatever he chooses, he will need to commit to the art, and spend as much time as possible becoming proficient with the weapon.

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

Does this man, and the whole mindset of the ad, seem a bit paranoid?

"Honey, I'm off to the store. Money, shopping list, pistol, I'm all set!"

"...but this does give you the option to carry the gun in condition one(cocked and locked- like the 1911 .45) which I do not reccomend."

I don't see any difference between cocked and locked on a 1911, and a pistol that's striker fired with no external safety, or a DA with a decocker. Regardless of the design, it requires a willingness and the responsibility to become intimately familiar with the mechanisms in play. Whatever he chooses, he will need to commit to the art, and spend as much time as possible becoming proficient with the weapon.

... exactly right...practice would be my only comment...practice with whatever you buy...
Bill

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

Does this man, and the whole mindset of the ad, seem a bit paranoid?

"Honey, I'm off to the store. Money, shopping list, pistol, I'm all set!"

I guess that would depend on where you lived, what you do for a living and what your life experiences were...I don't agree with your conclusion...

Bill

I can't see the video from work (blocked), so I don't know what it is. I will say that what some call paranoid, others just call being prepared. Though I can, I don't carry. However, I don't live in an area with a high violent crime rate.

"IMHO the S&W airweight 357 mag titanuim/scandium frame 5 shot revolver is the ticket."

Agreed. I'm strictly a 1911 shooter, but if I were to carry, it would be a S&W J frame.

"There is no such thing as a magic bullet."

Assuming you know how to hit what you're aiming at, a single round of hardball is all you need.

"Aim small, miss small." How many military, police and private defense instructors recommend shooting for the head, especially one that is moving?

I guess that would depend on where you lived, what you do for a living and what your life experiences were...I don't agree with your conclusion...

I'd guess it depends on what you're used to. What seems like everyday reality to one person can seem odd to another, and vice versa.