OT...Compact Pistols

kelA

I can't see the video from work (blocked), so I don't know what it is.

It's an advertisement for the Judge pistol, with a serious-looking dude saying that your regular pistol is not the best choice for in-car use, so you should buy a Judge, even if your current pistol is fine for street or in-home use.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see. I'll check it out when I get home. The Judge shoots .45 Long Colt and/or .410 shotgun shells. Neither are adequate for penetrating auto glass without serious deflection (you might even end up with shotgun pellets in your face). Inside a late model vehicle is about the worst place to be, almost anything will penetrate through the doors. If someone's pointing a gun at me because they want my car -- they can have it!

I don't see the point of the advert, when in a car the most important thing is to be able to shoot thru glass and still be lethal. As I said in my first post, I have seen test where the glass seperates the jacket from the lead, result not much.

Dont see how that problem is solved by the judge.

just buy better ammo.

Dean- OMG that is beautiful. Double thumbs up on that one.I am a 1911 junkie myself for home defense and range guns.

Thanks. I had the money for a Les Baer Premier II, but after handling the Dan Wesson I just didn't see much point.

I don't see the point of the advert, when in a car the most important thing is to be able to shoot thru glass and still be lethal. As I said in my first post, I have seen test where the glass seperates the jacket from the lead, result not much.

Dont see how that problem is solved by the judge.

just buy better ammo.

Yup.

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

Does this man, and the whole mindset of the ad, seem a bit paranoid?

"Honey, I'm off to the store. Money, shopping list, pistol, I'm all set!"
Only paranoid of you live in Canada and believe that you live in some sort of special crime free bubble.

Too bad you guys aren't allowed to have any short barreled pistols up there.

I think the judge is kind of a gimmick.

You are not going to get much of any kind of penetration with 410 shot out of a 3" barrel.

The main thing with in car carry is to have the gun where you can grab it quickly.

"Honey, I'm off to the store. Money, shopping list, pistol, I'm all set!"

This^^^

We're glad there are very few guns up here. The police are all over people with handguns, since gang members are pretty well the only non-professionals who would be carrying a gun.

We do have some crime, but on the Island, it's mostly druggies breaking into parked cars to see if there's any change in the ashtray. We also have a lot of bicycle theft and a few cases of white-collar fraud and rowdy drunks when the bars close. Car theft is down, due in part to the bait car program.

The big cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal do have gang activity, mostly using guns smuggled in from the US, but most of those guys are shooting each other. When a bystander gets hit, the cops get more serious about them.

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

I think Littleton Colorado is a nice place...DeKalb, Illinois (Northern Illinois University) and Virginia Tech were in nice places...

Bill

I think you will find that most schools are gun free zones, (Federal Law) and many states make exclusions to the permit which would mean even if you have a permit you cannot carry one on to the property unless you're an officer or part of the school security, ie they won't let private individuals carry hand guns. So in those cases it would not save you unless you broke the law. I am not against people owning and carrying guns, I just think people should speak softly and carry a large gun (not a hand gun).

c'mon Jacksonbart...first off...I was just trying to point out that crime happens everywhere...I didn't realize until you posted that I picked three school areas...I like your answers, I just can't always tell when you're serious or not...[;)]

Bill

If someone's going to commit a violent crime, a gun free zone has got to be about the safest place to do it... We just have to hope the criminals are too dumb to think of that, else its a free-for-all for about 6 minutes or so.

"Criminal mastermind": now there's an oxymoron.

A criminologist in Vancouver said that the gang war will likely go on until all the gang members are either dead or disabled, because they're not able to figure out how to stop it. He didn't come out and actually say that they're just too stupid, but his meaning was clear.

"IMHO the S&W airweight 357 mag titanuim/scandium frame 5 shot revolver is the ticket."

Agreed. I'm strictly a 1911 shooter, but if I were to carry, it would be a S&W J frame.

"There is no such thing as a magic bullet."

Assuming you know how to hit what you're aiming at, a single round of hardball is all you need.

"Aim small, miss small." How many military, police and private defense instructors recommend shooting for the head, especially one that is moving?

J frame S&Ws are fine choices. My brother carries an S&W 340PD. Very light, accurate if you do your part. Manual of arms is simplicity itself. J frames (as a whole) are the gun I recommend to beginners for a carry firearm. 357s are stout in them, especially in M&Ps and PDs or other airweight frames.

I also like 1911s. An excellant fighting sidearm. Carried one for years. However I was seduced by the dark side and transisitioned to the Glocks shortly after they hit the market in .45ACP. Never really got used to the grip and switched to the XD .45 a while ago. Just changed to one with a thumb safety a few weeks ago. Carries very well, almost like a 1911.

Been shooting the heck out of my CZ52 lately. 7.62 Tok is dirt cheap in comparision to most anything else right now. Worth the price of one to be able to get the range time with a higher caliber weapon. (vice .22)

Magic bullet -vs- hitting what you shoot at. I am glad some are confident in their ability to hit their target. Unfortunately stats do not back up that arguement. Typical gun fights involving professionals show that MOST rounds fired fail to hit the mark. And that most hits are not fight stoppers. When I was younger few if any agencies advocated head shots as openning targets. Generally to CBM was the rule. That may have changed in the last few years. if so it is a change I for one would not support.

I may scratch the compact idea and go with the Springfield XDM. I went and looked at both the XP and XDM and liked how the Springfield felt. I can get $250 trade in on the P89, which isnt bad since it is 10 years old and I paid $300 new.

c'mon Jacksonbart...first off...I was just trying to point out that crime happens everywhere...I didn't realize until you posted that I picked three school areas...I like your answers, I just can't always tell when you're serious or not...Wink

Bill

I couldn't agree more which is why I only go out of my house for drive-thru in this.

post-16829-13819475614996_thumb.jpg

"Magic bullet -vs- hitting what you shoot at. I am glad some are confident in their ability to hit their target. Unfortunately stats do not back up that arguement. Typical gun fights involving professionals show that MOST rounds fired fail to hit the mark. And that most hits are not fight stoppers. When I was younger few if any agencies advocated head shots as openning targets. Generally to CBM was the rule. That may have changed in the last few years. if so it is a change I for one would not support."

Well, I guess when you move to 9mm, you teach head shots.

You won't get much argument from me regarding your main points. Most conceal carry holders especially. have little if any tactical training. I work with quite a few who carry -- they shoot a lot at the range, and read a lot of magazine articles, etc. They're responsible decent people. When they get together, they like to talk about tactics. A couple of times a week I'll nose in to see what they're talking about. It's comical stuff.

I am so comforted to know that the gun free zone signs keep out the crazies and the bad guys. Ask the familes of the victims at Va tech how well that plan works. There was a movement in the legislature to allow licensed CCW permit holders (teachers and students over 21 ) to carry weapons on college school grounds. One of the head administrators at Va tech began a campaign that stopped it from passing into law, This was BEFORE the shootings. An armed trained licensed citizen would have undoubetedly lowered the death toll when he (or she) smoked this sick coward POS. The "nicer neighborhoods" are not safe in my town any more so forget that idea. Thank the hug a thug -catch and release criminal justice system for that one.

As for the 1911 45s- I carried one for years before I could afford my first Colt Python.In the cocked and locked position the hammer always seems to catch on the jacket in a shoulder holster and snag on the shirt in a waistband carry. Carrying the gun with the hammer down and a round in the chamber is out of the question. Also many 45s on the used market have been modified as paper or bowling pin guns and may have other issues for this type of carry. The HK or the Sig type of decocker hammer down carry is my pick beacuse of saftey issues and the fact that you still have the single action option for range time fun and situations where you have the time option to cock the gun. When I worked in the firearm industry there was a demonstration where they took a Sig 226 9mm with a loaded chamber and the hammer decocked down. The placed the gun into a vice and literally smashed to pieces- hitting the hammer with a 10 lb sledge hammer without being able to discharge the firearm. With the hammer down in DA mode on a decocked gun you have a 7-8 pound trigger pull on the first shot which makes an accidental discharge nearly impossible. My many old days of carrying the 1911 brings me to choose something with an exposed hammer and the SA option. I think that this is an excellent choice for a beginner or expert alike for conceal carry IF the semiauto is an option.

If you like the 1911 cocked and locked - go for it- whatever you feel best with is the right choice. Like you said- with a lot of practice