OT...Compact Pistols

kelA

I couldn't agree more which is why I only go out of my house for drive-thru in this.

Now you're talking! Those puny Hummers would look like wimpmobiles next to your truck. Is is a long reach down to the drive-thru window?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do not think you can go wrong with any of the Springfields. My son has an XD 9mm- ported with all of the go fast goodies, His roomate has the full size 45. My boss caries the XD compact 9mm. No complaints from anybody. Your Ruger is easily worth 250.00 in a trade. Sounds like you are on the right track to a nice upgrade.You will love the Srpingfield. They shoot like a dream. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

I can get $250 trade in on the P89, which isnt bad since it is 10 years old and I paid $300 new.

I would suspect that you could get a LOT more if you sold it privately. Just check with your local and Federal laws to see how to go about it. Remember, what they offer you in trade only means they are going to sell it for more. When I was a dealer in the 80's and 90's we had people screaming for us to get the P85, only none were to be had. The GP100 was the same way. Back then I bought a Belgium made Browning P-35 High Power. It fit my hand great. But when it came to CCW it proved to be impractical for me. I personally don't like cocked & locked guns. All that compressed hammer spring pressure pushing against the hammer strut that makes it go off just gave me the willies’. I now either carry a Ruger SP101 w/ 38+P+, a custom made Walther PPK/S or, on very cold days with lots of clothing, a Sig P228.

I will NEVER, however, carry my IPSC Unlimited Class Gold Cup 45ACP. Way too big and libelous since I built it myself. Which brings up a good point. Unlike audio equipment (where we tend to modify everything we can) guns are best left to the factories and professional gunsmiths to make any modifications apart from new grips. If I were a prosecutor that would be the first question I'd ask "Are you a qualified gunsmith?" if someone told me the trigger pull was now 1/4 of what it used to be. Especially in single action mode.

Suggest Gunsamerica for private handgun sales. You make the deal and ship through an FFL dealer to another FFL dealer.they handle the permits and legalities for a fee. Takes you out of the legal loop. I think that the Ruger would bring more that 250.00 in a private sale.

Love the Browning Hi-power 9mm. One of the all time classics. I shot one last weekend- did pretty well. I just cant bring myself to shell out 700-900 for a pristine belgium made hi power- then have to paint the front sight so my old eyes can see the darn thing well enough to shoot. So I passed. My pistols of choice have the 3 dot tritium- glow in the dark- night sights. With my Kimber Gold Combat Custom shop II -I can eat up the x ring at 25 yards with factory hardball. At age 56 I have lost a lot of my shooting skills due to my eyesight.

I can get $250 trade in on the P89, which isnt bad since it is 10 years old and I paid $300 new.

I would suspect that you could get a LOT more if you sold it privately. Just check with your local and Federal laws to see how to go about it. Remember, what they offer you in trade only means they are going to sell it for more...

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. The dealer will ask more, and has the ability to sit on it for months or even years to turn a few bucks profit.

Rightly or wrongly (wrongly in my opinion) Rugers semis are just not that popular. The boards I frequent routinely have pretty much any Ruger semi in the $300-350 range and they sit long enough to make me sure that they are selling for less. Ones priced in the $250-275 range seem to go pretty quick.

Unless $25 is enough to break a $300 deal for you, I'd take it and not look back...

One thing restricting the price of the Ruger is that it only has one 10 round mag. I was living in Kansas City at the time I purchased it, and MO laws were 10 rounds. I am living in KY now, which is pretty open on the laws. Some good-ol-boy will want a 15+ round mag.

I have talked with two dealers and they are both firm on $250.

how much difference do they want for the Springfield??? My son bought a as new/ used XD 9mm for 400 + tax with 3 mags and the other accessories

If it is not an issue just take his offer and go to the range-- IIF you can find any ammo- seems to be a big problem these days

Another issue for a whole other thread

I promise you that you will like the Springfield.. I shoot lots of high dollar stuff. I am blown away by the low priced Springfield. My son has the 9mm- truth is that I shot it better than my HK USP 40.

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

Just makes you a target here in good ole' Las Vegas. Plus, if you are an atractive female the animals that live here like to harass you.

Timely thread.

This weekend my wife and I just bought a small Taurus 38 revolver for her, a Sig Sauer P250 9 mm compact for me and a 20 gage shotgun for any surprise visitors at night.

My wife wanted a S&W Ladysmith but the deal on the Tauer was so good we couldn't pass it up. We'll get her something diferent if she does not like it. Either a revolver or an automatic.

Did we make good choices? I have never really liked guns but this is necessarry nowadays.

Tigerwoodkhorns,

My wife loves her.38 spl revolver, it's simple enough to be able to use even without a ton of training.

Sig makes a fine gun as well.

I would have gone with a 12g on the shotgun but I'd say you did great on your purchases.

how much difference do they want for the Springfield??? My son bought a as new/ used XD 9mm for 400 + tax with 3 mags and the other accessories

If it is not an issue just take his offer and go to the range-- IIF you can find any ammo- seems to be a big problem these days

Another issue for a whole other thread

I promise you that you will like the Springfield.. I shoot lots of high dollar stuff. I am blown away by the low priced Springfield. My son has the 9mm- truth is that I shot it better than my HK USP 40.

You can get a brand new xd on gunbroker for $440 shipped including ffl fees if you have a little patience.

Tigerwoodkhorns,

My wife loves her.38 spl revolver, it's simple enough to be able to use even without a ton of training.

Sig makes a fine gun as well.

I would have gone with a 12g on the shotgun but I'd say you did great on your purchases.

Thanks. We went with the 20 GA because she could barely lift the 12 ga. The store owner said that she may not be able to use the 12 ga if necessary.

How about the Taurus? We could have ordered a S&W but it was a good deal. Will it be good for carry and for shooting targets? We do plan on using these for target practice quite a bit.

Taurus has come a long way in the last 30 years. Not quite up to S&W standards IMHO, but darn close.

With your purchases all you need to do is Practice. And then practice, practice and practice some more. With the shot gun too. Shotties are nice, but they are not magic. You need to aim it just like every other weapon. Both you and your wife need to shoot it.

I couldn't agree more which is why I only go out of my house for drive-thru in this.

Now you're talking! Those puny Hummers would look like wimpmobiles next to your truck. Is is a long reach down to the drive-thru window?

Its strange usually the staff just comes out with my bags of food in their hands with them extended above thier heads, often they don't charge me. If there is a resturant that I want to try that does not have a drive-thru, I make my own.

might be easier to move into a nicer nieghborhood.

Just makes you a target here in good ole' Las Vegas. Plus, if you are an atractive female the animals that live here like to harass you.

Timely thread.

This weekend my wife and I just bought a small Taurus 38 revolver for her, a Sig Sauer P250 9 mm compact for me and a 20 gage shotgun for any surprise visitors at night.

My wife wanted a S&W Ladysmith but the deal on the Tauer was so good we couldn't pass it up. We'll get her something diferent if she does not like it. Either a revolver or an automatic.

Did we make good choices? I have never really liked guns but this is necessarry nowadays.

Is the Sig a DAO?

The Sig P250 is a DA only with a 6 lb trigger pull- not bad. the gun had many different possibilities in changing"groups" to use different caliber setups- also- short- long and regular length triggers. Different grip panels- very versatile. Really nice pistol. SIg is top shelf stuff. The tarus is s Smith copy- very acceptable provided you saved some cash in the transaction. A 20 ga shotgun is fine as a home defense piece. you did very well- particulary the SIg- really cool gun.

Apparently alot of people liked the P250 looking at the user reviews. I will probably use this dealer. They seem to have some nice prices.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/51/products_id/52438

Thanks. I got a two tone version, this one:

http://www.sigsauer.com/products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=54&productid=212

Can a registered dealer sell across state lines? I can find out because my dealer got me a good price from what I have seen on the web. I'll ask him tomorrow evening. Very nice guy and he goes hunting on my father-in-law's ranch.

We bought on Saturday and are picking up tomorrow evening (the 72 hour wait period) when we start our classes. My wife and I both saw this Springfield in Utah, it has a nice feel and is compact, but man is it pricy:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/spemp_010807/

If my wife decides that she wants a semi-automatic, can you guys reccomend a small auto pistol for her? The Springfield EMP is nice and gets outstanding reviews but I do not think that we want to spend that much.