RF-63 review versus RF-7s

MrMcGoo

My new TV requires a center channel that is located below the TV. My RC-7 is vented and created echos in my cabinet. Hence, a sealed box RC-64 seemed to be just the ticket. It even integrated well with my RF-7s.[H]

Then the thought entered my feeble mind that identical speakers all around might improve perfromance in home theater and with music.[6] So, I ordered 4 RF-63s. The RF-63s will barely fit as side surrounds. This gives me identical drivers all around, just a different layout on the RC-64. Since I have not cought the tapered array on the RC-64 combing, that difference in layout makes little difference, although a center located above the TV probably would be better.

My dealer only had one pair of RF-63s in stock, so the first pair replaced my beloved RF-7s to complete my front aray. The first thing I noticed was that the boxes for the RF-63s were huge. The RF-63s are only 10 lbs. lighter than the RF-7s. Here are the preliminary results of my comparison:

Fit and finish: Advantage RF-63s. The clean rear panel looks better. The new feet are more robust and are more difficult to break. The magnetically attached grills are harder to break and easier to attach or remove. The black ash finish is is striking due to the grain structure and lacquer quality. My hat is off to the folks in Hope.

Sensitivity: Advantage RF-7s. The 7s are only 2 db more sensitive at my seating position 12 feet from my TV. This was a very pleasant surprise that I've only given up 2 decibels at my seating position.

Front sound stage: Advantage RF-63s. The sound stage is more immersive with the 63s. Breadth and depth is excellent. Panning is very even. Another pleasant finding, but not a surprise.

Mid-rage performance: Clear advantage RF-63s. The RF-7 weak spot has been fixed. Detail is improved.

Tweeter performance: Advantage RF-63s. Smother performance than the 7s even with DeanG crossovers. I suspect that L pads were used on the RF-63s to balance the sensitivity of the tweeter with the lower sensitivity of the woofers. The result is very smooth highs, whatever the details may be.

Bass performance: A tie; yes a tie. There is a slight advantage on Master and Commander with the RF-7. The 7s are a bit fuller and more authoritative with the cannon shots. However. the 63s have better detail. Crossover was 50 Hz in both cases. The opening to Lawrence of Arabia with the kettle drums is a bit better with the RF-63s. This is a total shock to me. May be the subwoofers integrated better. Yeah, that must be it![:o]

Music performance: Another tie. The RF-7s have a bit more presence while the RF-63s have better balance, more detail and a better sound stage. My souce is a 5.1 SACD direct to the processor, Jerry Goldsmith's Film Music on Telarc.

For now, color me shocked in a very pleasant way. My complements to Professor Thump.

My RF-7s will become a going away present to a friend. He heard my 7s and said they were the best sound he had heard in a home, so I know that they will be appreciated.

I will add more as I get to know these new speakers. When the surround RF-63s come in I will let folks know about front/back impressions.

Bill

I agree with a statement that a forum member once made (can't remember the name). He said that if you were to line up different sets of Klipsch speakers that are in their higher end of speakers (RF-7s, RF-63s, Forte IIs, KLF-30s) that they would sound a lot more alike than one might think. Thankfully Klipsch is one company that is always looking to improve their products. PWK left quite a legacy behind and if I worked for Klipsch I'd make darn sure that legacy was still alive and kicking.

• Moderators

This gives me identical drivers all around, just a different layout on the RC-64

I think people underestimate how much of a difference this makes, very good choice your going to love the sound.

Very nice comparison, not many have had both setup exactly the same to compare like that but it sounds very similar to what others have also said.

• Moderators

I agree with a statement that a forum member once made (can't remember the name). He said that if you were to line up different sets of Klipsch speakers that are in their higher end of speakers (RF-7s, RF-63s, Forte IIs, KLF-30s) that they would sound a lot more alike than one might think. Thankfully Klipsch is one company that is always looking to improve their products. PWK left quite a legacy behind and if I worked for Klipsch I'd make darn sure that legacy was still alive and kicking.

That's very true, I have heard a pile of different Klipsch models and from the tiny Quintet to the best and biggest klipsch makes they ALL have that Klipsch sound. I don't know if it is the horns or just the way they are voiced or both but there is something there.

And you are right that is quite a legacy that PWK has left !

wow - what a great review... thanks for sharing Bill.

you mentioned the feet of the 63 are more robust than the 7, as one of my feet for a rf35 is broken. i dont know how hard it would be to find a replacement. it must have been a common problem with the feet in these years the that 35,5 & 7's were built.

I would love a pair of rf7, but i dare to say it in this place, it would just me too big for the room. IMO, if any speaker looks mean it's the rf7. it demands respect, even when no sound is coming from it.

ok, i'm going back to sleep now.

ENjoy

My plan had a contingency: If the RF-63s did not have enough bass, then the fronts would change to RF-83s and the 63s would go to the rear. It looks like I'll stick with 4 RF-63s. The presence of the RF-7s will be missed a bit, but the advantages of the RF-63s will compensate in my case. For bass, I may just crank the subs up another db or two.[6]

The R&D that Klipsch puts into its speakers is very apparent to me. Constant improvement of the product keep the customer happy as well as the CFO, since a happy customer is always good for the bottom line.

The cabinet volume and stiffness, triple ports and motors on the woofers have exceeded what I thought the little 6.5 woofers could do, so the R&D has been followed by a commitment to excellent manufacturing as well.

Bill

My new TV requires a center channel that is located below the TV. My RC-7 is vented and created echos in my cabinet. Hence, a sealed box RC-64 seemed to be just the ticket. It even integrated well with my RF-7s.Cool

...Front sound stage: Advantage RF-63s. The sound stage is more immersive with the 63s. Breadth and depth is excellent. Panning is very even. Another pleasant finding, but not a surprise.

icon-quote.gif
MrMcGoo:
This gives me identical drivers all around, just a different layout on the RC-64

Hey MrMcGoo, do you think your front sound stage was "more immersive" because you had voice-matched Main speakers to go with your RC-64? I was thinking about picking up a pair of RF-63s to use as side surrounds (to replace my RF-3s) but with the reintroduction of the RF-5s I may reconsider.... {Edit: I can't imagine either would be much of an upgrade at that location}

tkdamerica,

The better sound stage on my new speakers is from matched drivers IMO. The design on the RF-63s seems to be better than I imagined, so performance is on the level of other large Klipsch Reference speakers. All in all, it was a very pleasant surprise.

Your side surrounds are already close to your fronts. If you have room, more RF-7s would help as side surrounds. Otherwise, stick with what you have. Personally, I barely have room for the RF-63s in back.

Bill

PS: Bass from the RF-63s is great now that I've tweaked the subwoofers via the Velodyne SMS-1 and my processor. B

• 2 weeks later...

Kain,

My preamp is a Pioneer SC-07 which feeds a Sunfire Signature amp. This was the same front end that drove the RF-7s.

My second pair of RF-63s has been shipped by Klipsch, so the second half of this experiment is not far away. The only thing that the RF-7s had on the RF-63s is a better presence. The RF-63s can now keep up on bass with an 80 Hz crossover instead of 50 Hz. Two RSW subs needed better integration to make it work, but a day spent on bass sweeps on the SMS-1 did the trick.

Bill

Front sound stage: Advantage RF-63s. The sound stage is more immersive with the 63s. Breadth and depth is excellent. Panning is very even. Another pleasant finding, but not a surprise.

Mid-rage performance: Clear advantage RF-63s. The RF-7 weak spot has been fixed. Detail is improved.

Tweeter performance: Advantage RF-63s. Smother performance than the 7s even with DeanG crossovers. I suspect that L pads were used on the RF-63s to balance the sensitivity of the tweeter with the lower sensitivity of the woofers. The result is very smooth highs, whatever the details may be.

Bass performance: A tie; yes a tie. There is a slight advantage on Master and Commander with the RF-7. The 7s are a bit fuller and more authoritative with the cannon shots. However. the 63s have better detail. Crossover was 50 Hz in both cases. The opening to Lawrence of Arabia with the kettle drums is a bit better with the RF-63s. This is a total shock to me. May be the subwoofers integrated better. Yeah, that must be it!Surprise

Music performance: Another tie. The RF-7s have a bit more presence while the RF-63s have better balance, more detail and a better sound stage. My souce is a 5.1 SACD direct to the processor, Jerry Goldsmith's Film Music on Telarc.

For now, color me shocked in a very pleasant way. My complements to Professor Thump.

Bill

Thanks Bill for the compliment! It was great to be able to design a system "no holds barred" with reason. Lot's of large crossover components, mucho magnets to give you that snap.

You might also experiment with a crossover frequency at 40 Hz to the sub. I suspect you will have more control of the attack with the 6" drivers in combination. Maybe add 2 -3 dB of bass boost in this crossover range. When you think about it...Bass is usually mixed to 2 or 3 channels so 6 or 10 6" drivers actually has more cone area and motor strength than a 15 and 12 inch sub drivers.

You might also experiment with a crossover frequency at 40 Hz to the sub

Professor,

Since you designed them you are the perfect one to ask. I have been playing with my Xovers for a long time,: I can't seem to get the right sound.

I have the RF-63's RC-64 RS 62 and RT-12d. My sub seems to have little output and visceral impact. I seem to get more dynamic range from the RF-63's. What x-overs should I use? I feel the RT-12d is lacking.

Prof. Thump,

Your point about the woofers on the RF63s is well taken. However, my processor has a global crossover and the 63s would be the only speakers to go that low. Also, I'm not a fan of intermodulation. So 80 Hz works the cleanest so far. I may try 50 Hz again, but I doubt I can tweak enough to make it work. Again, thanks for the good work on this set of speakers.

Bill

MrMcGoo,

You stated that the tweeter in the RF-63 is smoother than the tweeter in the RF-7. I currently feel my RF-7s are a bit too sharp/bright with the higher frequencies. How big of a difference (if you can find a way to quantify it) is there between the tweeter in the newer RF-63 and RF-83 compared to the RF-7? Do things that sound bright/sharp/harsh on the RF-7 sound smooth and mellow on the RF-63 and RF-83?

Hell I guess I must be going deaf everyone keeps saying that RF-7vens sound harsh on the high end and ragging them out yet Klipsch is bringing them back makes you wonder all I can say is I must be going deaf or got lucky and got 4 that are not harsh,good comparison review I'd just like to hear what all of you are hearing and saying is harsh sounding, my 2 cents is I'm keeping all of mine.Keep up the good work.

• Moderators

One man's "harsh" is another man's "bright."

That is true. Everyone's ears hear differently. Probably all of us have hearing loss to some extent. Some ears are more sensitive than others. And then there is always preference. Both the RF-7 and the RF-83's are phenomenal speakers. Can't go wrong with either. It is generally said that the RF-83's are more laid back in their sound, smoother if you will.