At Klipschorn users: How big is your listening room?

MojoX

Hi,

I think about buying a pair of anniversary Klipschorns. I listened to them and they were the best speakers I have ever heard. Now i could afford a pair (although I am a little hesitant because of the sum) but I wonder if it works in my room and if it is reasonable to use Klipschorns in an apartment building (it't pretty new though and the walls are well isolated so that I have no problems with my RF-7 system (i can listen pretty loud) I have only 2 neigbours, one above me and beside/behind me but behind the wall where the Khorns would stand. The room is 20x14ft big and 8,2 ft high with carpet (soon). I can imagine that it sounds great in the room but I have doubts concerning bass and that it could be too dominant. So what do you think and what experience do you have with Khorns in not so big rooms?

And what would you consider yourself as the best solution for a room this size? The Khorns would stand at the ends of the 20ft walls by the way and there are 2 corners for them....

Thanks!

Mojo

They're beautiful speakers and i'm sure you'd love them.

You might also want to do a search on "Jubilee" and learn a bit more about that. This is of course,l presuming you can live with something a bit less asthetic than the Khorn but in a trade with asthetics, get a marked improvement in sound.

I had K-Horns in a comparably sized room and they sounded fine. Later on I did use a Cornwall as a center channel (not in the home theater sense but a additive center - search the threads ..). That brought the system to the "next level".

I will also suggest searching the threads for the Jubilee. It might be an option for you.

Good Luck,

-Tom

Currently runnig them in a small 10x14f room, and I sit against the oposit wall.

For some yet unexplained reason, seem to have less neighbor disturbing sounds emanating

outside the building than

what I had before with conventional 15" non Klipsch speakers (which means now I can go

louder :-)).

The bass will not dominate. In fact, many perceive it as lean at first because you don't have the drivers radiating the bass at your chest. For the lowest bass to have a chance to develop fully, a larger room helps, but I think your size is fine. Mine is 20x20. The lowest pipe organ notes can be felt in the room, but they are in full bloom just a bit down the hall. Other than that, it's all 'there'.

You've found some new 60th Anniversaries out there?

16'x24'

at the present time they are on the short wall until i redo my music room.

when i first got them i had them 10' apart using false corners and they still sounded great.

in your room, with the speakers 20' apart, i'd start with my chair 4' from the back wall and play around with chair positioning. don't know what you will have on the back wall, but you may need some type of accoustic/dufusion material.

good luck

danny

"The bass will not dominate. In fact, many perceive it as lean at first because you don't have the drivers radiating the bass at your chest. For the lowest bass to have a chance to develop fully, a larger room helps, but I think your size is fine. Mine is 20x20."

That's my experience too in a comparable size room ca. 15' x 18' with the Khorns along the short wall (see photo). You won't have too much bass, in fact they may sound rather thin, but pure. That may be to your liking, if not, a good (powered) subwoofer will take care of it. The Khorns are "heritage" speakers in more than just the marketing sense. You will probably wind up keeping them forever and letting your heirs fight over them.

post-10590-1381948877611_thumb.jpg

Should be sweet in 20x14, with you in the sweet spot 10 feet from the front wall. I have (old) Khorns in 20x18, and I am also seated at 10 feet from the front wal. Great distance from the wall for HTand 20-feet separation is great for imaging. Speakers completely disappear.

Bonjour de votre cousins a la Louisianne :)

1st - buy the Khorns, Jubilees, MWMs, etc.

2nd - never look back. It's that simple. Remember to use nice sources and a good tube or SS amp.

Find some friends that have some horn loaded gear and tube amps. The local audio club in New Orleans has been a godsend for me. Going to Indy or Hope takes a bit further in the process here. But I think a phone call or a visit to any speaker or amp builder will really set you firmly on the middle road of a nice highway for your new adventure.

Many on the forum here and on others elsewhere realize that the gear is basically good to great. We like to do some mods, etc. Sort of like the guys in high school that worked on their cars on a Saturday night.

To my fellow Klipscher in La Belle Province, I will tell you that I have been attending a congress in Paris yearly since Hurricane Katrina. I am always warmly treated as a cousin at a family reunion. To our future Klipsch owner, you will be treated just as warmly.

NOLA......and all that Jazz......

Thanks for all your answers so far :-) So I guess the room would be okay but what about my neighbours. Don't you think that they will ring at my door all the time when the Khorns play? I mean not neccessarily because of how loud they play because I can regulate that but because of the bass which is stronger and deepper than the RF-7 bass...

22x15 here, Khorns on long wall, my back is 1 foot from back wall. Remember that bass builds up in corners and along walls so I never sit with my back directly against the wall (or the sofa against the wall).

I kept track of Khorn users while I worked at Klipsch, most who described 'good sound stage and imaging' sat .7 to .8 times the front wall width away from the front wall. I'm at .63s. What would seem the mathmatically perfect .5 x is just too close for most and makes for awkward furniture positioning.

Don't you think that they will ring at my door all the time when the Khorns play?

Probably because you've been a bad bad neighbor and didn't invite them to the jam session!! [;)]

Seriously... first off, you are going to control the volume. Second, the bass might be stronger and deeper than the RF-7's but again, if you keep the volume pulled back some, I don't know that would be a major issue? Third, I'd suggest, inviting them up every now & then for a movie or concert session... I'd try to head them off at the pass and get them on the team rather than agasint the team.

When I was in college, I was in an apt. The building was 99% students however, as it happened, right next door to me was a permanant family with children. The very first thing I did was walk over, introduce myself and explained that we had some large speakers (pair of LaScalas and a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's in the same room). I told her that we both knew it would get cranked up from time to time and if we EVER had it where it annoyed her, to please let me know as I did not want to ever do that.

She was the coolest neighbor ever and never so much blinked at what we did. I really think my up front offering with her was instrumental in that understanding. (we were also not abusive with the sound, much unlike my neighbors on the OTHER side of me at all freaking hours of the night)

I love my Khorns, your room is not too big, in fact it is just right, the Khorn bass is not lean, but it is accurate, just go listen to a string bass and hear for yourself, that said I do like more bass push for movies and sonic impact and added a ACI Titan deep bass sub

since you already have RF-7s, I would seriously consider modifying their crossovers, RF07s with Bob Crites or DeanGs crossovers are just as good as Khorns and much easier to place and move

I gave my neighbor my card, but she still called the police (several times) and they tell me my music is not too loud (but they don’t know the deep bass shakes the walls)

Find out when they are not home and crank the music then

Be careful, ear damage is actually pretty easy to accomplish when you are young but only shows up when you are old

Still consider a tube amplifier to drive your ultra-sensitive horns

Using Khorns in a 16 by 26 room for 14 years-great, full sound. Cannot imagine repacing them-If I did-with what?-for my ears, there is nothing better-

go for it-you won't regret it-to #$%& with the neighbors. they would complain just as much if you bought (Heaven forbid!} Bose!

Hey MojoX,

My KHorns are in a 20' x 15' x 7.5' room and I am very happy with the sound.

I originally had the speakers on the short wall but switched them to the long wall and was blown away by how much better the 2 channel sound became.

See the thread I had going as I did the change over:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/111977.aspx?PageIndex=1

As for neigbours, I am not much help as my system is in the basement of a detatched house.