I searched this site and found no answer Forte II vs (Heresy & Sub)

I have the opportunity to purchase Chorus II's-$800 or Forte II's for $400. I think I can get the Forte's for $300. Look and sound great. I have Heresy II's powered by Rodin amp and Adcom GTP-600 pre.

Do you think I should buy a very good 10" sub (thinking SVS) for my Heresy II's or sell them and buy this pair of Forte II's and in the future buy a good 12" sub, more for feeling than for sound.

My rational: I would need the tighter bass of the 10" for the Heresy's because the bass rolls off higher than the Forte's.

Also, never heard a side by side, but am told that the forte's aren't quite as "tinny" as the Heresy's.

I can't comment on the speakers, but my SVS 20-39 PC+ fills in the bottom end nicely with my La Scala's. I highly recommend a 12" sub over the 10", especially if you want to "Feel the Bass"!

I hope you stick around and keep us posted on your purchase(s)!

Dennie[:D]

• Moderators

When Groomlake (Marshal) was here we brought one of the Forte ll's into the workshop, side by side with a Heresy ll. I have to say we were surprised how close they were in the midrange and high freq, the bass was way off, Heresy had much less.

I have to say we only listened for a little while and beer was involved .

I use the forte ll's for a 6.1 Ht and I was thinking how much easier it would have been to fit 6 heresy's considering how close they were in sound.

I love my Forte ll's and don't plan on getting rid of them, 6 are great for a HT, 2 for stereo is very nice also, but even the Forte ll will not go as low as a sub.

If i had a choice of only Forte ll's or only Heresy ll plus a sub, I would take the Heresy ll's and a sub.

Just another opinion !

What's your room placement like? I have a Forte ii system in my living room and they definitely sound better 18-24" into the room. A pair of Heresy's and a sub may be better if the speakers need to be against the wall. If you're looking for bass and like your Heresy's you could probably get a pair of Cornwalls instead of Chorus for the price that you're talking about.

• Moderators

Went back and read your post again and I missed this.

" Also, never heard a side by side, but am told that the forte's aren't quite as "tinny" as the Heresy's. "

If you just listen to them you would get that impression, but it's kind of deceiving, a little lack of bass would make them sound a little "tinny'. Just like a speaker that has a lot of bass appears to have less mid and high freq, sometimes you can hear it just between different songs.

Just for fun turn down your mid and high freq on the Heresy's and see if it sounds a little less tinny ?

Aj01 is right about moving them away from the wall, but either way a heresy does not go very deep no matter what you do with them. Although I could just be spoiled in the bass dept, see avatar. [;)]

That's forte ll's on the outside of the bass bins for size comparison.

Forte II's will rock the heresies if you can place the forte II's properly. I have heard ht set-ups with both the forte's without a sub (yes addind a sub would really dig down on those effects) and heresies with a sub. For 300 dollars it's a no brainer since heresies will usually cost as much. The only reason to go with heresies would be if you have serious placement issues.

For two channel (I should have paid more attention) the forte II's are even more of a no brainer to me. When I bought my first pair of forte's (new) I did audition them side by side with heresies. Dialing in a sub instead of just getting a nice pair of full range speakers at a fantastic price?

If you can negotiate a lower price on the Chorus II's I would go with them. A nice pair traded here recently in the $600 range, they would have to be in triple mint condition to command $800 a pair in the current market. No need for a sub with those bad boys! Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted.

OK, my two cents. I own Forte ll's, bought them over 20 years ago and had no idea they would anchor my HT and 2 channel audio setup today. These are impressive speakers to say the least, they play anything well. I do not have a sub, and have not ever once felt I was missing anything on the low end. However, I am experimenting with adding a sub on loan from a friend this weekend just to play around with it while watching some movies for fun to do a comparison.

My brother and Uncle both have Heresys - great speakers for their size but no comparison with mine on bass response. I have a friend with Chorus ll's - again a great speaker but alot bigger than mine. You should compare the dimensions on the cabinets and see what you have room for, the Chorus ll is a pretty large speaker.

When you write about "more for feeling than sound", some alarm bells go off in my head.

If that is the goal, my thought is that you should go with the biggest, baddest sub you can afford that will give you such.

I'm a big fan of the Forte II -- I have a pair in a small room. The Chorus II or CW are, of course good too. But if you are headed in a direction of very high level, very low freq sound, that is what subs are for. You might blow out any of the above mentioned conventional speakers. OTOH, some or many subs have limiting circuits which will help prevent their demise.

Wm McD

You should compare the dimensions on the cabinets and see what you have room for, the Chorus ll is a pretty large speaker.

They are bigger than Heresies, but then again... I have LaScalas. The Chorus IIs would not have the placement issues of LS. To me they weren't that large, taller to be sure, but the base dimensions aren't so large.

They are all GOOD! [Y]

Bruce

That's so weird... I posed the same question (Forte vs Heresy & Sub) earlier this week on this very forum and barely got an answer, yet this thread is now well into the second page of responses. It's strange how certain threads tend to get more attention whilst others seemingly disapear.

I haven't decided myself on whether to keep the Heresy IIs and add a sub or buy the Fortes but this thread has really captured my attention, keep the opinions coming.

dna

• Moderators

That's so weird... I posed the same question (Forte vs Heresy & Sub) earlier this week on this very forum and barely got an answer, yet this thread is now well into the second page of responses. It's strange how certain threads tend to get more attention whilst others seemingly disapear.

That happens some times, it seems if there are hot topics some things kind of slide by or sometimes people are busy and don't really have the time to reply. I noticed the other day I was like #2 or #3 of the posters and I only noticed because I had not posted much at all, thats how slow things were.

You never know around here what threads will take off, I can tell you it was not personal, I usually don't even notice who started a thread when I reply to it.

I think it's just how much time people have and if it gets noticed ? I have never been able to figure it out ?