cable TV or ???????

joessportster

i have been with comcast for a couple years but once a year they attempt to jump my bill to stupid pricing stating my plan is over this time it comes in at 195.00 and i have had enough i have had direct TV in the past and cant stand that either.....................so i have been looking around at free web based television (i dont watch TV but the wife does and the boys like there cartoons occasionaly) so my question is this ??

do any of you know of any good sites for TV on the web so i can keep the wife happy ??????????

also does anyone know anything about this digital TV conversion that took place a bit ago, what all would i need to pick up the local stations via airwaves (common sense tells me i need a converter box and an antenna) but i wanted to know if i am missing something ?????????

Joe

Don't know what your wife watches (or what cartoons the kids watch), but how about an Antenna with a Tivo? Unless you're too remote, you can pick up the HD off the major networks over the air, and the Tivo will let you forego the endless commercials...we only take the most basic of cable packages and it's more than enough for casual TV viewing.

also does anyone know anything about this digital TV conversion that took place a bit ago, what all would i need to pick up the local stations via airwaves (common sense tells me i need a converter box and an antenna) but i wanted to know if i am missing something ?????????

To pick up over the air HD (or SD for that matter) you need an antenna and a digital tuner in your TV OR an antenna and a converter box to work with your old analog TV. I have cable and an OTA antenna. There's a noticeable PQ improvement when you switch from cable to OTA. The OTA signals are not compressed and are much clearer that cable. There's an improvement in audio also.

my tv is a 1080 p lcd flat screen toshiba regza, less than a year old so i assume it has a digital tuner onboard, (and i assume that would mean i dont need a converter box) thats good news...................

can anyone reccomend a good antenna ????? i am not to rural just a few miles south of york pa and i dont have any mountains or heavy forestry near either so signals shouldnt be to much of an issue..............

Joe

in my case ???????= Verizon. I think they are the same sack of sh!t as Comcast, just a different cover bag. But the 2 year switch over deal was a no brainer. I already have cheaper new sign up requests from Comcast. Its a lot like your job, they dont miss until you're leaving.

jbart: yea i know what you mean i tried to get verizon but they dont have fios available here yet...........so that is out, i do have verizon wireless and i find them to be exactly as you describe same bag just another name i am counting days till my commitment is up with them on that as well

Joe

Hate Direct Tv- hate time warner- they all try to jack your rates up after the contract period. I am back and forth. Direct Tv has my bill up to 165.00 per mo. My contract runs out in Sept. I am shopping. My parents tried the converter boxes (with older TVs)- Did not work- 70.00 in the trash can.

I totally despise all providers of TV -Cell phone service-land line- and internet- they all suck.

One place to check for antennas is MCMelectronics.com. Get the biggest antenna they make and make sure it is UHF/VHF as some of the new digital stations are using VHF. Get a rotor also while your at it and the RG-6 quad shielded cable with the connectors already installed. Installing connectors is an "art" and the factory ones are swept to make sure there are no dips and peaks. If you get one or two shield strands out of position the connection will not test properly. Try not to use splitters as you will loose 3.5db worth of signal. Digital signals need all the signal you can stuff into your set.Check the AVS forum for more info and also check your city on that forum to see what the problems are for others in your area. Mount the antenna as high as you can get it without suffering nose bleed.

JJK

Have you talked to comast joe? I had a one year promo for internet and cable and DVR and all the goodies...then it jumped to like $150 a month...I looked at the direct tv flyer in the mail, called them and told them I was going to switch if they did not give me a better package...they gave me one rate, I told them it was still cheaper to go with direct tv, they came back with another package and I have internet and digital cable with 1 dvr for less than 80 a month. They do not want to loose customers...they have some good deals for first time subscribers that they will extend to current customers if you prod them a bit...had to sign a new contract, but I am locked in for 1 year and I will play them again when that is up. ACE (PS...rep 1 is not helpful on phone, call back and get someone else and try again)

can anyone reccomend a good antenna ????? i am not to rural just a few miles south of york pa and i dont have any mountains or heavy forestry near either so signals shouldnt be to much of an issue..............

HERE'S where I bought mine. I also agree with JJK on geting the antenna up as high as you practically can. When you're done, be sure to go into your TV's set up menu. You'll have to do a channel scan to find the stations that are available to you. THIS site will show you what stations are available in your area. An antenna amplifier will help pull in fringe stations if necessary.

Are you guys kidding on the sattelite costs? I have Directv with 3 hd dvrs and one standard dvr. We have every channel(including all movie channels) the NFl sports package. I also get the superfan option that makes sure all the games I see are in HD and our bill is around $80.00 month. If you have directv call em up throw a fit if your bill is over $100.00 and you can get some bonuses thrown your way. I used to be one of those people who did not like to do that but that is the game All of the providers have created, so play it to your advantag. The one thing I do not get is locals in HD as that is not available in this area yet.

my tv is a 1080 p lcd flat screen toshiba regza, less than a year old so i assume it has a digital tuner onboard, (and i assume that would mean i dont need a converter box) thats good news...................

Joe

Try this..

http://www.antennaweb.com/

Joe, I've had them all and Directv is the best hands down but for OTA try the link to antenna web above and then go to solidsignal dot and get the antenna and preamp. Good stuff.

I use this http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=AD-DB4

and this http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC7777 with a radio shack VHF antenna diplexed into the amp for FM.

or at least i did before all my stuff was placed in storage and i now have a clock radio; it has BOTH am and FM

I have been checking this issue as well. If you google "internet tv," you will see lots of sites that host or link to lots of channels. I am surprised to see some of the channels, such as HBO, Fox News, Discovery, Cinemax, and on and on...

I watched some of them and was surprised to see this for free over the net. I wonder if they are legal.

I have not come to anything as convenient as cable, with program listings and quick and easy switching between channels. I also did not try to see what happens if you try to use your TV as a monitor. In full screen mode on my PC, the pic is not too good. In a small window, the picture is fabulous.

So, I don't know too much about internet TV, but found myself surprised to see what looks like potential.

Anyone else know more about it?