Who are your favorite bluesmen?????

winchester21

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of that electric blues or polished too clean blues give me that Arkansas Mississippi Louisiana Memphis delta acoustic blues raw with soul.

Robert Johnson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC4M4eQlz5I

robert_johnson1.gif

Son House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g

house.jpg

Honeyboy Edwards

Knew Robert Johnson and played guitar with him.

honeyboy1_no_mic.jpg

Blind Willie

Blind-Willie-Johnson-777473.jpg

Lead Belly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOIr_Yxr6Dc

210px-Leadbelly_with_Accordeon.jpg

Robert Johnson... first came across that 2 CD set 17 plus years ago.

Way before that... Grandma introduced me to the blues on her piano. Unfortunately, my recordings of her are far worse than those on that 2 CD Robert Johnson set.

But you have them...!

To me the holy grail of lp searching is to find an original 78 by one of the early blues masters. Especially if it says Electrically Recorded : ) I likely look through thousands of 78's every year looking for just one.

I'm really glad that at age 14 I thought to record her on my jam box. Arthritis was already taking a toll on her hands but like you said... at least I have them. At her funeral, I passed out a CD of her music to each person as they left. I found out later that quite a few of them went out and bought a CD player just so they could play it... your welcome, Best Buy.

I enjoyed her stories of playing for the silent movies and still love to hear her versions of Basin Street Blues, Bye Bye Blues, Dark town Strutters Ball, Lazy river, Missisipi Mud, Satin Doll... WOW! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I appreciate the blues and the blues artists. But I find it like Reggae. Have a few drinks and its great for as long as you have a few drinks in you. I would rarely if ever put a blues or a regge lp on. I have a number of blues and reggae lps but I would probably be happy with one of each!

Josh

I think Robert Johnson goes without saying. Lonnie Johnson was superb, playing alongside Eddie Lang (who had to adopt the moniker of "Blind Willie Dunn" in order to recoed on the black labels of the day), Blind Willie Dunn, Blind Willie McTell (he could pick like crazy), and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Hmmmm, I see a trend here....

Pretty much anyone on Alligator or Antone's records.

A few not mentioned already: Otis Rush, Gatemouth Brown, Angela Strehli, Lonnie Brooks, Koko Taylor, Willie Dixon, Pink Anderson, Saffire( The Uppity Blues Women), Elmore James, Lightning Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Charlie Musselwhite, James Cotton, A.C Reed.

That should tide you over for awhile. [8]

Years ago I was lucky enough to have seen both Willie Dixon and Muddy Waters play. Both shows were in small bars on the north side of Chicago and among the best live performances I have ever heard. I consider myself lucky for having caught them before they passed.