The Cruel Joke of Hearing and Age

Stocklone

I am 28 and I know I have some hearing loss. I work with a lot of older gentlemen in their fifties in a research field with all sorts of experiments going on. Some of them involve sound. For fun we decided to see at what frequency the noise was noticeable for the people in the room. It of course drove the co-ops nuts because they could hear at very high frequencies. I couldn't hear as high as the co-ops, but I was amazed at how much hearing loss had happened to the guys older than me. So basically, I am scared that buy the time I have enough money to buy the Klipsch Home Theater set up that I really want, I won't be able to fully enjoy it. Is this a realistic concern or am I worrying myself over nothing?

• Moderators

Don't worry, but protect your ears now while your young, anytime you do anything that you think is a Little loud wear ear protection.

At 52 I have hearing loss in both ears one more than the other but I can still enjoy music. I can hear much of the high frequencies in music but on a hearing test it says I have lost alot of the highs. But with music much of the high frequencies are not terribly high in freq.

You will still be able to enjoy music and movies you just will not be able to hear the highest frequencies.

That is a very valid conern and one that i've been thinking about recently. i have some pretty significant hearing loss in both ears--so bad, that the doctor ordered a CAT scan and then an MRI to see if I had tumors in my head. Turns out that i'm just old fashioned hard of hearing. But, i've wondered if I can get my money's worth of enjoyment out of upgrading my system. I already need hearing aids in both ears; but, with double health coverage--neither seems to cover hearing aids. when i finally break down and spend a few grand on hearing aids, i won't be able to afford more speakers; but, i also wonder how "real" the sound will be via hearing aids. all that said, I'm still going to buy more of the heritage line when i come across a great deal.

I am 28 and I know I have some hearing loss. I work with a lot of older gentlemen in their fifties in a research field with all sorts of experiments going on. Some of them involve sound. For fun we decided to see at what frequency the noise was noticeable for the people in the room. It of course drove the co-ops nuts because they could hear at very high frequencies. I couldn't hear as high as the co-ops, but I was amazed at how much hearing loss had happened to the guys older than me. So basically, I am scared that buy the time I have enough money to buy the Klipsch Home Theater set up that I really want, I won't be able to fully enjoy it. Is this a realistic concern or am I worrying myself over nothing?

If you take care of your hearing, you should be fine. Yes, as you get older, some of your hearing will diminish (no differenty than eyesight also tends to diminish as well). Of course, some people will diminish more than others.

In my own case, I am 40 years old, yet, despite all the loud heavy metal concerts I've been to, my hearing is actually quite good, especially for my age. I am still able to hear those 14khz tones that the teens liked to use for ring tones (hopeing the teacher won't hear when sending texts back-n-for, etc), I guess all I can say is "Thank you Etymotic!" as for as the concerts go (I have a pair of the very nice Etymotic ER-20 earplugs).

So, of course, I am going to spend money on good equipment and speakers and enjoy it! [:D]

But even so, with some diminished hearing, you are still going to be able to hear near all of the range that is typically found in most music, so might as well invest in decent equipment/speakers and enjoy it for many years to come.

My standard line for 30 years while raising our kids was that by the time I could afford a decent audio system I would not be able to appreciate it. Much truth in that, but as Dtel noted, unless you have really serious issues there is still enjoyment. I would recommend some common sense approaches to noise abatement. Wear ear plugs when mowing the grass. Keep a set of plugs handy for concerts, even at venues you would not typically think of like church events - hey, db's are db's. Travel much? Ear plugs to reduce the ambient noise level. Is any of this fun? Nope. Profitable? Yeah, can limit the on-going damage. As my audiologist says "we live in a noisy world". Ain't it the truth.

I've had Tinnitus in both ears for as long as I can remember. In my childhood I remember going to sleep and having to reassure myself it's just the sound that happens when nothing else is making noise. Don't know if it's hereditary, but my grandfather and oldest brother have it too. Anyway it doesn't affect getting lost in music and enjoying all the aspects of audio. I'm very carfeful about noise levels and have earplugs everywhere. It's a small precaution to take and being consistent in using them can be daunting. With all there is to listen to it's worth it!

Wellllllll,,,,, you can allways buy a special hearing aid to null out that noise,,, Or learn to read lips and sign,,, Music and audio is not that importent,,, There are other sensess more accute,,, and can be more creative and rewarding,,,, Look what Van Gough did with only one ear.

Your words "Music and audio is not that important" doesn't compute on my end. All the senses are important, yes, and I'd hate to lose any of them. I just love music and how it moves and inspires me. You mentioned Van Gogh. Music and sound reproduction is art for the ears - just as important as visual art.

Don't worry about things you can't control. Just make sure you protect your hearing ANY time you are around loud noises. Air tools, guns, airplanes, loud work places etc. I have been very fortunate in that I still have fairly good hearing. I have been around jet engines since I was 21, that's over 30 years around loud noise. I also hang out at firing ranges. Ear protection was instilled in me a long time ago by folks much wiser than I.

you'll still be able to hear most of the frequency range, just not up to 18k or 20k. i'd offer that efficient speakers would be ones to consider as you get older, ones that could give you 105db at one watt/one meter. if anyone has any suggestions as to who would make such a speaker, please let us know..

Just do what I do----Crank up the bass about 16 db, add an expander, crank up the high end about 12 db starting at about 8KHZ, add a sub to boost your hearing down to 19 HZ, add a powered center channel then set the volume to about 98db SPL and I garantee you won't care about what frequencies your missing. Or get a system powered by "Duke".

JJK

I sometimes wonder if my car stereo days had any effect on my hearing. I think that I hear well in general at the age of 38......but when there's backround noise, like heavy equipment at work I sometimes have difficulty hearing others unless they are right next to me. I wear earplugs much, much more than I did 20 years ago. That's for sure and it is mostly because of this hobby.

Getting your ears cleaned regularly helps also. The first time I had it done at the doctor I was amazed. It was one of the best audio upgrades I made to date. [:D]

It's often assumed that hearing loss is directly related to age, but it's not. Loud sounds wear out your hearing, and they're hard to avoid in modern society. I read once about a rural tribe (desert-dwellers, maybe, I don't recall exactly) whose old men had the same level of hearing as their young men. Where they lived, the loudest sound they heard was a raised voice or maybe the wind blowing.

It's good advice to use hearing protection when mowing the lawn and sometimes even when vacuuming. I've even used earplugs when driving on a concrete freeway when I found the sudden increase over the tire noise on tarmac to be annoying. I do keep some earplugs close at hand.

If you're only 28 and smart enough to protect your hearing from this point on, it may not deteriorate that much as time goes by.

Also, most music is below 10KHz (anybody correct me if that figure's wrong) with nearly everything above that being overtones, not fundamentals.