So what new music did you get??

oldenough

So did any of you get some new music in your Christmas stockings??....As for me I got Bob Dylan's . "Together Through Life" , nice and easy to listen to, fits in well with the last three albums, nothin' really outstanding but if your a Dylan fan (like me) you'll be well pleased. The other Cd I got from my wife, and this has completely blown me away The Fron Male Voice Choir "The Voices of the Valley Home" this is just such a pleasing Album, even our boys who are into quite different music to us were impressed with this. It means a little more to me... maybe, simply because this music is from home....but I think some of us here would really appreciate this. Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas, and a Happy New Year to all.[8][D][:D].

ASTRAL WEEKS / Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Van Morrison (wife)

I bought that one for myself a couple weeks ago. Just the intro to "Sweet Thing" sent chills up my spine. It is quite a performance.

Santa left 3 "Jazz Is Dead" CDs under the tree for me this year. I've only had time to listen to a couple tracks so far but I like what I hear. The band is an amazing group made up of many ex-"Grateful Dead"/"The Dead" members and I anticipate they will get quite a lot of playing time both at home and in the car.

David Gilmore "Live in Gdasnk" (probably spelled wrong, I'm too lazy to look up) on vinyl. I have made it through 3 of the 5 albums. If you like Pink Floyd, this is worth every penny.

Pink Floyd The Wall live CD

Miles Davis "Complete in a Silent Way" and "******* Brew Sessions" on those silver discs too.

I need to sneak away from work today as a local record store is closing a few locations. Hate to see it but need to go to the sale.

So any of you gonna offer a review of your gifts????....

If anyone here hasn't heard Oscar Peterson, then you've been living a sheltered life, indeed. The 4-disk Live at the Blue Note is really outstanding[Y]

If you like piano jazz at all, you'll like this.

Chris

It was a fun holiday....My 'Secret Santa' gave me the Neil Young 180g Box set; the Beatles Box set showed up at my door last week; the wife sorta gave me permission to keep a pr of Zu Definitions; for a treat, I picked up a beautiful 1969 Les Paul Custom and on Saturday, I drove back from NC just in time to take my wife out to dinner and catch 'Oblivion Sun' at Orion Studios w/ 'Happy the Man' members Stan Whitaker and Frank Wyatt. All 'n all, it was a pretty good week for music.

I also got some piano jazz from the wife. Mal Waldron's Sextets with John Coltrane, (a/k/a Mal 2.) Mal Waldron might not be as well known as the great Oscar Peterson, but he is clearly his equal as far as playing is concerned. More of the Thelonious Monk and Bud Powell school of playing. I also got Vince Guaraldi "Essential Standards", another excellent record. If you want to explore his playing beyond "Charlie Brown" this would be a good place to start.

Nice score Gnatpoop. not heard the Graceland release, whats your impression of it??

It's quite impressive. Huge dynamic range, crystal clear, all in all a major improvement from the earlier CD. I have not heard Graceland on vinyl.

I spun the old CD a couple of days ago and was very dissappointed with it on Khorns, you really do need good source material.

..and it's noop...;-)