Can Mid-FI be better than High End HI-FI?

russ69

A mid-fi system could offer more enjoyment when you considering the psychological disorders that often accompany owning, operating, and maintaining super critical hi-fi equipment. But that could never happen to me.... Yikes - gotta go now, I forgot to bias my amps today (now where did I put my NIST traceable calibrated volt meter?)

Guys,

Most of us got into this hobby with mid-fi equipment somewhere along the way. I wonder if a mid-fi system can bring more enjoyment than a super critical hi-fi rig? What do you think?

Thanx, Russ

I had the same thought and tried to go back recently and could not do it. Once you are conditioned it is hard to go back. I was determined as I was not using my system much because of work. I really intended to do this.

I sold a pair of high end speakers and bought an integrated amp (high end - got to make baby steps) with the intention of using it with an older pair of B&W speakers from the 1980's (come to think of it they were high end back then). Anyway, the pin point imaging and soundstage depth was not there, a lot more smear. I could not do it. The NEXT DAY (I am sick, help me) I bought another pair of high end speakers that were for sale locally on Audiogon. Now the old B&W's and integrated amp are in storage. These were not mid fi either.

That said, I prefer the old B&W's for use with a music server or poor recordings. They smear more but sound better with low resolution and poorer recordings. But if you are just sitting down and listening, there is definately a lot missing.

I think Mid-Fi lends itself more to the basic, no education/knowledge needed, enjoyment of music, rather than the recording, reproduction and the ongoing attempts to improve all points inbetween.

Ignorance, truly can be bliss.

When was the last time you listened to a great song, horribly recorded and enjoyed it?

When was the last time you listened to a great recording, but horrible music, just because it shows off the best your system can do?

Why even with the years of abuse to my ears, am I chasing after the "best" sound, when I was happiest jumping up and down on my bed as a kid, listening to the crackling, distorted Rock Radio sounds coming out of my mono clock radio 4 inch speaker?

Tiger,

I'm with you. I have a minimum level of quality that I can not go below (for my best system). I keep my good system up and running but I'm not using it much except for the few recordings that really shine. I did "downgrade" once and I lasted about 2 hours before I returned the gear for something better.

As a point of reference, high end loudspeakers for me would be Magnepan 20.1s, Genesis 1.2, Infinity IRS B (sorry Klipschorn guys, I have very limited experience with those). Mid-fi (for me) is one step down from this or to state it in other terms, the system that I currently have!

Thanx, Russ

Mid-Fi is sort of a moving target. If I'm talking to guys with major systems mid-fi is closer to my system but if I'm talking to the average guy, mid-fi is one step up from Best-Buy.

What is mid-fi ?

Personally, I consider hi-fi to be the esoteric (home mortgage priced) and mid-fi to be what most of us to listen to (or strive for), and lo-fi would be the HTIB level of reproduction. Or to draw an anology, a hi-fi sports car would be a Boxter, my MINI-S would be mid-fi. YMMV of course.

• Like 1

I am not sure where mid fi ends and hi fi begins. Is it price driven? In comparison to the $20,000 CDPs and $75,000 Speakers that I read about in the audio mags I am not sure that my system would qualify as low-fi let alone someplace in mid land. But having said that I havent really heard any system that really trumped mine in a huge way. So I guess my answer would be that if my system is considered mid-fi than a mid fi system can be better than a high end system. But the opposite is alos true!

Josh

I think I enjoyed the music on my low-fi systems more than my current system.

All the times I listened to my Radio Shack Amp, CD Player, and Turntable hooked up to a pair of JBL Bookshelf speakers I never complained about the sound quality.

I do now with my RF-82 speakers hooked up to a Fisher 500C. It reveals a whole lot more detail, much of it good, but some is horrible.

The music really brings the enjoyment, but good sound makes the music even more enjoyable. I'm trying not to let poor sound interfer with my enjoyment of good music.

Price is not always an indicator of sound quality.

True, but looking at your signature, do you think that you can give up your B&W Matrix 801's or Von Schweikert VR 4 JR's and replace them with something from a big box store? You would probably miss them quite a bit.

A friend of mine has M801's with a Musical Fidelity A308 preamp and VTL 300 wpc monoblocks. It sounds awesome. He tuned it with a tube swap and it just sounds so smooth and natural and images so well. Nice speakers.

I usd to know what mid-Fi was in the 70s and 80s (B&O, Yamaha & Marantz receivers and integrateds, Kenwood integrateds and seperates, Advent, Boston a/d/s speakers). Now, I'm not sure.

But yes, mid-Fi can often be more fun and enjoyable. Then, when you really want to get inside the music, the high end system is required.

Price is not always an indicator of sound quality.

I would never suggest that it is ( and Im not saying that you said I did) . I asked the question trying to understand what the difference is between mid fi and High end fi. If its sound the question answers itself. If its price it requires a different answer. I have listened to some pretty high priced systems and have not been impressed. I have also listened to some high priced systems and been very impressed. I do think however that within reason, components that cost more, more than likely have better quality components and therefore they would sound better.

Josh

Mid-Fi is sort of a moving target. If I'm talking to guys with major systems mid-fi is closer to my system but if I'm talking to the average guy, mid-fi is one step up from Best-Buy.

I think you have nailed it. For me, my system IS HI-FI, and probably 98% of folks would (maybe that's my ego talkin'), but for the select few, my system is not worthy.

That being said, I try to enjoy the music, no matter what system is playing it.

Bruce

Guys,

Most of us got into this hobby with mid-fi equipment somewhere along the way. I wonder if a mid-fi system can bring more enjoyment than a super critical hi-fi rig? What do you think?

Thanx, Russ

I find that my own state of mind / mood and the music itself has a larger influence on my enjoyment than the actual reproduction system itself.

However, there's something to be said for those rare well produced recordings containing quality music played back on an awesome system.

I think what's most important, however, is approaching music listening as if one were listening to mid-fi instead of hi-fi. It's easy to be critical of anything - even the best systems in the world (or heck, even live acoustic music). I think when one turns off the critical ears, that is when a high fidelity system becomes most enjoyable.

I would peg most of the Klipsch speakers to be mid fi to entry level high fi. For me, if a piece of gear is of high enough quality to reveal that other pieces aren't up to snuff, and it hurts the wallet, then you are on the hi fi road. The Palladiums by dint of their price automatically qualify as hi fi.

There is both true hi fi, and hi fi by fiat of price, review, and legend. I have had great gear that truly is great, and "great" gear that reveals its greatness by generating laughable sums of money when you sell it.

The best deal of all is hi fi that can be found for reasonable money, little effort, and works like a champ.