Who eats blackeyed peas on New Years day?

peshewah

I always try to have them and in fact got back from the store earlier with mine, always try to get fresh ones. My recipe is simple - just the peas, chopped onions, chopped garlic, jalapenos, and some type of meat, usually bacon strips or some type of sausage. And cornbread muffins to dip with.

Me,

I'm headed to fini's for cannelloni.... No dirt beans or stinky weeds for me. YUCK, MAJOR YUCK! The only other more disgusting item that could be thrown in the blackeyedpea/collard green pot would be a Bose speaker or a pickled pigs foot.....I'm cluless...but Im not an idiot

Yup, black eyed peas for New Years Day.

And baked beans on the morning before a manned space launch. (some tradition, huh - astronauts get steak and eggs, and launch personnel got baked beans)

It would probably not be to good when the astronauts got the baked beans. In the pictures it looks a little cramped in those ships and there is nowhere to escape to. [:|]

Actually outer space has a smell according to astronauts, probably cover any human gas.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp6/spacechronicles4.html

From By: ISS Science Officer Don Pettit

Few people have experienced traveling into space. Even fewer have experienced the smell of space. Now this sounds strange, that a vacuum could have a smell and that a human being could live to smell that smell. It seems about as improbable as listening to sounds in space, yet space has a definite smell. Being creatures of an atmosphere, we can only smell space indirectly. Sort of like the way a pit viper smells by waving its tongue in the air and then pressing it to the roof of its mouth where sensors process the molecules that have been adsorbed onto the waggling appendage. I had the pleasure of operating the airlock for two of my crewmates while they went on several space walks. Each time, when I repressed the airlock, opened the hatch and welcomed two tired workers inside, a peculiar odor tickled my olfactory senses. At first I couldn't quite place it. It must have come from the air ducts that re-pressed the compartment. Then I noticed that this smell was on their suit, helmet, gloves, and tools. It was more pronounced on fabrics than on metal or plastic surfaces. It is hard to describe this smell; it is definitely not the olfactory equivalent to describing the palette sensations of some new food as "tastes like chicken." The best description I can come up with is metallic; a rather pleasant sweet metallic sensation. It reminded me of my college summers where I labored for many hours with an arc welding torch repairing heavy equipment for a small logging outfit. It reminded me of pleasant sweet smelling welding fumes. That is the smell of space.

Actually outer space has a smell according to astronauts, probably cover any human gas.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/station/crew/exp6/spacechronicles4.html

From By: ISS Science Officer Don Pettit

Few people have experienced traveling into space. Even fewer have experienced the smell of space. Now this sounds strange, that a vacuum could have a smell and that a human being could live to smell that smell. It seems about as improbable as listening to sounds in space, yet space has a definite smell. Being creatures of an atmosphere, we can only smell space indirectly. Sort of like the way a pit viper smells by waving its tongue in the air and then pressing it to the roof of its mouth where sensors process the molecules that have been adsorbed onto the waggling appendage. I had the pleasure of operating the airlock for two of my crewmates while they went on several space walks. Each time, when I repressed the airlock, opened the hatch and welcomed two tired workers inside, a peculiar odor tickled my olfactory senses. At first I couldn't quite place it. It must have come from the air ducts that re-pressed the compartment. Then I noticed that this smell was on their suit, helmet, gloves, and tools. It was more pronounced on fabrics than on metal or plastic surfaces. It is hard to describe this smell; it is definitely not the olfactory equivalent to describing the palette sensations of some new food as "tastes like chicken." The best description I can come up with is metallic; a rather pleasant sweet metallic sensation. It reminded me of my college summers where I labored for many hours with an arc welding torch repairing heavy equipment for a small logging outfit. It reminded me of pleasant sweet smelling welding fumes. That is the smell of space.

I've read that before. It sounds like to me the "smell" of space is actually the smell of the materials exposed to space oxiding. In Low Earth Oribt, there's atomic Oxygen floating about (single Oxygen atom - not O2). Since Oxygen doesn't like to exist as a single atom, it will bond with just about anything - that is, just about anything it comes in contact with will oxidize to some extent.

• Moderators

I still have not tried any blackeyed peas but I did cook a BIG pot of cabbage, 7 large heads. It took me 6 1/2 hours using 2 pots to get it cooked down.

It is very good and we ate a good bit of it but will probably freeze the rest, because I am afraid to eat any more,[:|]

the side affects are BAD ! [+o(]

Its good to see that folks still carry on traditions that was passed down thru generations. I ate 4 bowls of blackeyed peas thru out the day and my wife crack open a few cans of mustard greens and they tasted terrible. They tasted like metal. So everybody here at the house had one small bite of greens and then fed them to the chicken. They ate them, heck they will eat there own kind

Have a safe and prosperous New Year guys and Good Lord be with you and your familys.

• 1 month later...

Yep. Grew up with black eyed peas on New Year's day.

Don't want to miss that.

We make hoppin john and/or black eyed pea quiche.

Hoppin John...Yumm, yumm!!!

Thank God I married a girl from the South. My parents ate pickled herring on New Years for good luck. Years later found out why when I went to Asiago Italy and every restaurant served some variation of pickled herring!

Much prefer Hoppin John, with chopped onion on top, and a little Tabasco if you're up to it!