Who eats blackeyed peas on New Years day?

peshewah

Pass me the blackeyed peas, please.(that's part of a song). I love'em. I eat them every New years day and all thru out the year. The way my luck runs, I'm afraid not to eat them. One year a neighbor brought us 3 bushel baskets of peas in the pod. We podded peas for days. They were the best peas I ever ate. The peas were large and the soup was thick. Now thats liven'. Those of you who carry on that tradition, don't forget to pass it down. Good luck guys.

Been eaten em all my life. Georgia boy displaced. Try them with a dab of mayonaise.

Here's a recipe my mom just sent me:

BLACK EYED PEAS

1 Lb. Dried Blackeyed peas (Soak 1 to 2 hours or overnight)
1 12 oz, Can Chicken Broth
1 tsp. Hot Sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped.
1 or 2 Jalapeno peppers (chopped no seeds)
1 qt. water to cook (add more as needed)
Salt to taste
Butter
Cook onions & peppers in butter til tender. Place all in large
pot & cook til done, Approx. 2 hrs.
Bill

Here in the south , blackeyed peas/aka hoppinjohn , are a new years day tradition . The meal consists of pork roast , hoppinjohn and collard greens . Cornbread is optional . For whatever reason hoppinjohn is supposed to bring you good luck in the coming new year and collards bring you prosperity . Don't know what the pork roast is supposed to signify I'll have to ask my father . Most importantly don't skimp on the collard greens . That way you will have a prosperous/regular new year !Posted ImageI think I need a bigger pot , lol .

Here in the south , blackeyed peas/aka hoppinjohn , are a new years day tradition . The meal consists of pork roast , hoppinjohn and collard greens . Cornbread is optional . For whatever reason hoppinjohn is supposed to bring you good luck in the coming new year and collards bring you prosperity . Don't know what the pork roast is supposed to signify I'll have to ask my father . Most importantly don't skimp on the collard greens . That way you will have a prosperous/regular new year !

I think I need a bigger pot , lol .

Willy, I'm 57 and the tradition in my neck of the woods, as told to me by my great aunt about 50 years ago was this:

Blackeyed peas for luck.

Greens...turnip, mustard, or collard...does't matter, for money.

Ham hock, fatback, hog jowl for the meat. It should always be a "cheaper cut".

The reason for the cheaper cuts was to "not put on airs", either to God or our neighbors. A pork roast would be sacrilage. NOT that your's is, I know everyones traditions vary so don't be offended.

I personally love fatback, fried crisp for nibbling on while eating the veggies, and cook my greens down with a ham hock thrown in.

The peas can be prepared anyway you like, hoppinjohn is great. And while cornbread is optional for the tradition, it's not optional at my table. Candied yams round out the meal. Vinegar pepper sauce(not tabasco) on the side.

If you're out and about New Years, c'mon down, your welcome at my table.

You DO need a bigger pot.[:P]

Never heard of hoppin john. It appears to be a way of preparing black eyed peas.

We make black eyed peas more or less the way we make red beans...

Sausage, creole vegetables, lots of seasoning and served with rice.

Eating beans and rice contributes to global warming...bigger carbon footprint, er, buttprint.

Hoppin' John!!! [Y] Make it spicy with some cayenne!!! Love the stuff!!! Problem is no-one else in the house likes it.... [:(]

The New Years Eve tradition here is now Mama K's Homemade Turkey Soup as in the final fixin's from the Christmas bird. Everything that's left (which is actually quite alot when cooked down) is done overnight in a big crock pot; the critters (dogs and cats) get the "strainins" and the bones (and it ain't much except bones....), and it's fresh celery, sage, onions, garlic, and whatever else my wife uses to make it. It's good..... real good..... With some fresh bread, last couple of turkey salad "sammidges", settle in and watch a movie....

I always "perk up" my servings of the soup with some cayenne flakes and extra garlic to test my sweat glands for the upcoming New Year..... [H]