Garage conversion to cabinet shop for Jamboree build

Pete H

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't either, but I'll have to be building them along with the kitchen cabinets, as the girlfriend is on to me and knows that I'm more concerned with the speakers, and she wants me to get the remodel done first. I just don't know why she can't keep her priorities straight.[:D]

• Moderators

Looking good [Y]

Your going to love having a shop set up right there, you will end up doing way more than cabinets and a set of speakers once it's set up. Wood working is an addicting habit once you start, especially when you see what they charge for stuff you buy and it's junk when you see how it's built.

Looking good Yes

Your going to love having a shop set up right there, you will end up doing way more than cabinets and a set of speakers once it's set up. Wood working is an addicting habit once you start, especially when you see what they charge for stuff you buy and it's junk when you see how it's built.

I've been building for about 20 years, and even in the managment world, I enjoy my days in the field as well as in the drawing mode. It's just part of who I am.

She is................she has HER Priorities................and you have yours..........

Do the Cabinets First off............then she will be more understanding of Your Speakers.............

JMHO...............

I'm just kidding around. She stayed at her house tonight, because she knew that I had to finish a shelf unit for the HT in the man cave, and she's cool with that. It just turned into ,me playing with all of the equipment and now running the RF 7's, RP 5's (as left and right), the RSW 15 in low, sub mode and powering the 7's with the Integra TX890 and the RP 5's with a couple of Carvers and the OPPO as the source. I have listened to some heritage gear and I will tell you that if the 7's and the RF equipment is powered and run properly, it's very good ( indeed ) [pi]

I can't either, but I'll have to be building them along with the kitchen cabinets, as the girlfriend is on to me and knows that I'm more concerned with the speakers, and she wants me to get the remodel done first. I just don't know why she can't keep her priorities straight.Big Smile

No, she's right. You hone your skills building the kitchen cabinets, then move on to the important stuff, i.e. the Jamborees.

I can't either, but I'll have to be building them along with the kitchen cabinets, as the girlfriend is on to me and knows that I'm more concerned with the speakers, and she wants me to get the remodel done first. I just don't know why she can't keep her priorities straight.Big Smile

No, she's right. You hone your skills building the kitchen cabinets, then move on to the important stuff, i.e. the Jamborees.

I've honed my skills over the past 20 years and if I hone them anymore, they will call me blade ( ROTFLMAO ), it's all good!

Good luck with your project Pete. I'm sure you'll love them once your done. I don't know if you've seen this, so I'll post the link here in hopes that it may help you in some little way with your build. www.dcchomes.com/Jamboree.html

A couple of notes:

Dana's plans are not exact, you will need to modify sizing and angles on some pieces. Do your own layout and check everything before cutting.

I used polyurethane construction adhesive, and the bond is incredibly strong, but the product is very messy to work with. I don't know if I'd use it again. On the other hand, titebond, or similar products, don't seem to fill voids and lack body. They are "hard" set glues, and I just don't know if they have the same kind of bond as the construction adhesive.

I built mine by installing all the inner pieces and outer sides onto the bottom panel, and then attached the top panel. Everything went well until I got to putting the top panel on, and it didn't line up exactly. If I did this again, I would make some kind of template, using the top panel and some temporary side pieces to guide the build up of parts so the tops lined up exactly where they should. There's just a little play in the side pieces as they are screwed together.

I didn't take enough time pre-drilling for the screws holding the angled side pieces together. I pre-drilled, but didn't make a taper for the head of the screw to fit into, and it made that a little sloppy. I will take more time with that next time.

Greg

Good luck with your project Pete. I'm sure you'll love them once your done. I don't know if you've seen this, so I'll post the link here in hopes that it may help you in some little way with your build. www.dcchomes.com/Jamboree.html

A couple of notes:

Dana's plans are not exact, you will need to modify sizing and angles on some pieces. Do your own layout and check everything before cutting.

I used polyurethane construction adhesive, and the bond is incredibly strong, but the product is very messy to work with. I don't know if I'd use it again. On the other hand, titebond, or similar products, don't seem to fill voids and lack body. They are "hard" set glues, and I just don't know if they have the same kind of bond as the construction adhesive.

I built mine by installing all the inner pieces and outer sides onto the bottom panel, and then attached the top panel. Everything went well until I got to putting the top panel on, and it didn't line up exactly. If I did this again, I would make some kind of template, using the top panel and some temporary side pieces to guide the build up of parts so the tops lined up exactly where they should. There's just a little play in the side pieces as they are screwed together.

I didn't take enough time pre-drilling for the screws holding the angled side pieces together. I pre-drilled, but didn't make a taper for the head of the screw to fit into, and it made that a little sloppy. I will take more time with that next time.

Greg

Thanks for the input Greg, it is very much appreciated. I was planning on pocket screwing and glueing everything. I purchased a Kreg jig and it works great.

am i getting this right a jamboree is like a jubilee but not klipsch someone elses disign. Whats so special about it.

Greg in you link with your pics is that a khorn on top, what kind of spacing did you have between them.

thanks

duder

The Jamboree is a Jubilee that uses 2 15's.

am i getting this right a jamboree is like a jubilee but not klipsch someone elses disign. Whats so special about it.

Greg in you link with your pics is that a khorn on top, what kind of spacing did you have between them.

thanks

duder

The Jamboree is very different from the Jubilee. It looks similar on the outside, but that's where the similarity ends. Designed and patented by Dana Moore (former forum member).

When I first tried the Jamborees, I used my Khorn tops and tried several different passive networks. In my living room, 22' x 16'. Made a great sound, but the Khorn tops were not a good match, and none of the networks worked very well.

The best sound I got with them was when I replaced the Jubilee bass bins with the Jamborees, and kept everything else the same, K402/K69, EVDX38 biamped. I've also made some excellent sound with them using the V-Trac/BMS mid and Beyma tweeter, EVDX38, biamped. But that system still needs a lot of work to develop the proper network, it just doesn't sound right with the passives I built for them, and those whose knows me knows I'm not really into the active thing.

Greg

thanks

duder

The Jamboree is very different from the Jubilee. It looks similar on the outside, but that's where the similarity ends. Designed and patented by Dana Moore (former forum member).

When I first tried the Jamborees, I used my Khorn tops and tried several different passive networks. In my living room, 22' x 16'. Made a great sound, but the Khorn tops were not a good match, and none of the networks worked very well.

The best sound I got with them was when I replaced the Jubilee bass bins with the Jamborees, and kept everything else the same, K402/K69, EVDX38 biamped. I've also made some excellent sound with them using the V-Trac/BMS mid and Beyma tweeter, EVDX38, biamped. But that system still needs a lot of work to develop the proper network, it just doesn't sound right with the passives I built for them, and those whose knows me knows I'm not really into the active thing.

Greg

I never realized that Greg. My original plan was to build a set of Jubilee's, but couldn't track down a set of plans that I was confident in. ( Disclaimer, that I'm building these for my own personal use and own 20 or so other Klipsch speakers), when I got the plans for the Jamborees, I never really looked at them vs. the Jubilee's. Do you think I'm traveling down the wrong path, since you've listened to both?

]I never realized that Greg. My original plan was to build a set of Jubilee's, but couldn't track down a set of plans that I was confident in. ( Disclaimer, that I'm building these for my own personal use and own 20 or so other Klipsch speakers), when I got the plans for the Jamborees, I never really looked at them vs. the Jubilee's. Do you think I'm traveling down the wrong path, since you've listened to both?

No.

But, if you did build Jubilees, and used the K402 horn, you would have the benefit of using the information that Klipsch provides to balance and EQ the system.

In my case, I found the Jamborees worked well with the same setup I was using with the Jubilees (K402/K69, EV DX38, Jubilee settings), and that's where I've had the best sound using the Jamborees. I do prefer the Jamborees over the Jubilees in my own system at home.

Someday I would really like to use the Jamborees with the V-Trac horns and Beyma CP-25 tweeters. I think that would be a great combination. In fact, I've had these set up a couple of times now, and there is huge potential there. It might seem simple to put those parts together and have them sound great, but it's not. Not for me anyway.

Greg

I haven't made final decisions on the crossover or the tops yet. As far as power goes, I will probably run SS for the bins and get some tubes for the top. I'm only building these for my own use, it's hard enough to find the time to ge the shop finished so I can start on these and the kitchen cabinets. Heck, all I got done last night was to move materials inside that I had delivered and insulate and frame 2 wall sections.

post-34280-13819526851288_thumb.jpg