logic behind speaker size

amusingisthedawn

I just browsed some really high end speaker systems for the hell of it, and I was wondering...why is the center channel so small compared to the mains, and the surrounds even smaller? I'm just wondering because if you have KLF 30's all around you in a home theater...it would seem that it would be a more intense experience. However...when you spend 25K dollars on a system...the center channel looks so small and wimpy.

I agree with you. I'd speculate it's primarily because the center location also has to compete with a TV or a screen?

In my case, it's going to be difficult putting a Jubilee in the center and set my 50" on top of it!! I can however, put a LaScala in the center and use it as a stand for the tv.

This is what I'm going to do if/until I perhaps get a screen

Most people's room configurations don't allow for a giant center speaker without some major changes and expense. Lots of people who have a front projector use larger center speakers since they don't have anything other than a screen up front. I tried a Quartet sitting on its side sitting on a custom oak stand in front of my TV stand for a little while and while I liked the sound it looked pretty stupid sitting there, plus it blocked all the components behind it in the TV stand.

Like you mentioned, for the best sound having as many exactly matching speakers is ideal.

I have a theory. The L and R speakers can be used for HT but some people use them for 2 channel only, with no sub, so they need to be large to go low. A center channel speaker is used almost exclusively for HT where a crossover and subwoofer is used. THX says the center only needs to go down to 80 Hz (or so) allowing for a much smaller speaker/cabinet.

i'm wondering...how would having the front 3 speakers all be KLF 20s compare to say...keeping the KLF's as my mains and spending a thousand+ dollars on a fancy small center channel?

Mount your TV on the wall slightly higher than the center KLF-20 and have two component stands , one on either side of your KLF-20's and you will have a completey symetrical and jamming HT.

Bill

I have a DLP tv, so I have to be careful with how high I mount it before viewing angle starts to fall off. The couch is low, so anything over 35" is pretty close to that gray area.

On that note...I already have the 20's spaced perfectly, and once I build the 3rd 20 to go under the tv, it will be slightly below chest level while seated, but I'll angle it up to the ear. And in essence will have done exactly what you mentioned.

Thanks for reassuring me it will be "jamming". JAM OUT WITH YOUR CLAM OUT!

I agree with you. I'd speculate it's primarily because the center location also has to compete with a TV or a screen?

In my case, it's going to be difficult putting a Jubilee in the center and set my 50" on top of it!! I can however, put a LaScala in the center and use it as a stand for the tv.

This is what I'm going to do if/until I perhaps get a screen

Two words, Projection Screen.

Get that third Jube!!

Roger

I think that people don't consider running a L&R center enough. I do and even though it was to solve placement and equipment issues originally, I have it that way now, because it sounded so much better than running a single center. IMO, and I have run various single centers, including the RC7, matched to the RF7's and while it's a great speaker, running a set of RB5's or 61's or currently, L&R RP3's, the 2 speaker configuration at the correct height is much better.

...never thought of running a R/L center set-up. Interesting. I don't know if I would like that though. I think vocally, it seems more like a person in front of you if it comes from a single source. I never tried it, but it's one thing that I'm pretty sure wouldn't sound better than one awsome center channel, but who knows.

For the hell of it...

Posted Image

I can however, put a LaScala in the center and use it as a stand for the tv.

I'm assuming you will be placing the LaScala on it's side because of the narrow top . A Belle with it's wider top and shallower depth is the better choice .Posted Image That's a 60" ,120lb plasma on top of the Belle .

• Moderators

My logic behind speaker size is simple, bigger sounds bigger, no way around it. People see big speakers and think loud but it's not about that any speaker can be loud but they all can't sound big. [;)]