Yusuf's Cafe' (Cat Stevens)

Coytee

I grew up as a Cat Stevens fan. Always felt it was too bad he 'disappeared' and never knew why until several years ago.

I bought his MagiKat dvd and really enjoy it. I think it was his last tour before he walked away from his career. He has since then, made a mild comeback and today, I saw/bought "Yusuf's Cafe'"

Just wanted to say to any Cat Stevens fans... I've only made it halfway through the dvd and had to turn the channel (wife is babysitting her 2 year old nephew)

I didn't want to change it. It looks like a VERY nicely recorded show (visually) and the sound is great as well!

Getting a [Y][Y] from me, based on only seeing 1/2 of it.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Coytee, I think I saw it on HD Net or one of those channels and really enjoyed it.

I'll keep an eye out for the DVD.

Side note: I picked up the Majikat DVD a number of years ago and really enjoyed it. One day while visiting a dying friend (throat cancer) I told him I had picked up some new "music dvd's" and if he wanted, I would bring them over. He smiled and said "that would be nice". The next day I brought the Majikat dvd among others and when I showed it to him, he had tears in his eyes. Jeff, whats wrong? I asked. He told me to go into his closet and get the file box. I did. He told me to open it and under "C" pull out the concert brochures. I did and there it was, the original Majikat concert brochure from 1976. We enjoyed the DVD together that day.

After my friend Jeff passed away, his wife brought over a box of my DVD's and told me that he watched the Majikat DVD over and over. It reminded him of "a better time" in his life. I miss my friend, but I often feel he is near when I watch the Majikat DVD.

Sorry, hope I didn't bum you out. That was not my intention. Majikat and Cat Stevens will always remind me of my friend Jeff.

Dennie

Sorry, hope I didn't bum you out. That was not my intention. Majikat and Cat Stevens will always remind me of my friend Jeff.

Not at all Dennie. That kind of story is something that gets you a man hug or what ever it's supposed to be called when we've lost a moment of our macho control and have a (good) sensative moment!

Nice story, other than the unfortunate part about your friend.

Never heard of him. Who is he?

I'm being followed by a moon shadow... peace train... morning has broken...

Early on, he credited his success to his relatioship to Jesus, but eventually, converted to Islam. When that happened, there were folks around the world who burned his albums. If mine were in better shape, they might be worth more money. His album "Budda and the Chocolate Box" from 1974 had the song "Oh very young" which did quite well on the American charts (number 10). It was a great album, and I regret losing the copy I had.

I played in a group whose lead singer cold sound exactly like Cat Stevens, and we covered some of his songs.

Bruce

Oh very young

What will you leave us this time

You're only dancing on this earth for a short while

And though your dreams may toss and turn you now

They will vanish away like your daddy's best jeans

Denim Blue fading up to the sky

And though you want them (HIM)to last forever

You know they (HE) never will

You know they (HE) never will

And the patches make the goodbye harder still

Oh very young

There'll never be a better chance to change your mind

And if you want this world to see a better day

Will you carry the words of love with you

Will you ride the great white bird into heaven

And though you want to last forever

You know you never will

You know you never will

And the goodbye makes the journey harder still

Oh very young

You're only dancing on this earth for a short while

Oh very young

I don't think I will ever listen to him.

Early on, he credited his success to his relatioship to Jesus, but eventually, converted to Islam. When that happened, there were folks around the world who burned his albums. If mine wee in better shape, they might be worth more money. His album "Budda and the Chocolate Box" from 1974 had the song "Oh very young" which did quite well on the American charts (number 10).

I don't think I will ever listen to him.

Early on, he credited his success to his relatioship to Jesus, but eventually, converted to Islam. When that happened, there were folks around the world who burned his albums. If mine wee in better shape, they might be worth more money. His album "Budda and the Chocolate Box" from 1974 had the song "Oh very young" which did quite well on the American charts (number 10).

Why because he only got to number 10 on the American charts? Don´t worry it´s good music!!!!

Cat Stevens played his first major gig in many years this summer when he played at Fairport Convention's Cropredy Reunion in England. Fairport's Cropredy Festival is the best run fest I have been at. Known for inviting old friends to play with Fairport, I have seen both Jethro Tull and Robert Plant play with the boys. Thsi year the two guests were Steve Winwood and Cat Stevens. Here are some comments about the gig.

Our special guest, legendary singer-songwriter Yusuf (formerly Cat Stevens) was knocked out by the rapturous reception you gave him on Saturday evening. "The feeling of Cropredy has restored my faith in festivals," he says. "The audience being so respectful and appreciative, clean and folk-loving, it was definitely the best fest I've ever done." More...

In an affectionate reference to his days on Island Records, Yusuf added: "Having all my old buddies, Fairport, backing me was like being back home on the Pink Label Farm again."

"It was a real privilege to play on stage with Yusuf," said Simon Nicol. "As he said, this was his first festival appearance for 37 years."Simon continued "I'm sure Yusuf could not have wished for a more welcoming crowd for his return to a big stage."

Apparently his show went over really well. I hope he feels comfortable enough to make a return to recording and touring again. One of the few to walk away at the top of the game.

Early on, he credited his success to his relatioship to Jesus, but eventually, converted to Islam. When that happened, there were folks around the world who burned his albums. If mine wee in better shape, they might be worth more money. His album "Budda and the Chocolate Box" from 1974 had the song "Oh very young" which did quite well on the American charts (number 10). It was a great album, and I regret losing the copy I had.

I played in a group whose lead singer cold sound exactly like Cat Stevens, and we covered some of his songs.

Bruce

I've always enjoyed Cat Stevens but I gotta ask exactly what shape is it in?............Wait do not answer that![+o(]