VRDs in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winchester21

Just fired up my new/used set of VRDs and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

It sounds like Tom Petty is standing a few feet away with the rest of the band behind him. Driving the K horns at moderate volume with totally clean, rich, awesome sound. I am totally blown away by the bass response for tubes this clear and clean. These have to be the ultimate for Heritage HT teamed up with the Peach 2 and the Jolida.I thought it would be good but nothing like this.Totally exceeds all of my expectations.

Many thanks to Mike Lindsay and Craig for helping put this deal together within my budget and timeframe. I could not be more satisfied[Y]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"These have to be the ultimate for Heritage HT teamed up with the Peach..."

Uh huh. That's exactly how I use mine - to drive the main speakers in my combo HT/2 channel system.

You WILL be more satisfied later. VRDs are one of those rare components that reinforce over time why you bought them in the first place. There are those toys that you like when you first get them, but grow tired of them....VRDs are NOT such an item[8-|] They perform far beyond their cost, and you'll understand more about just how good they are over repeated listening. The truly good stuff is like that....

AN- my memory is suspect but it seems to me you steered me towards the VRDs early on as well as Heritage speakers for HT and 2 ch. You were exactly correct and I owe you.

The cost / performance factory is a joke. I have heard many high end systems- mostly Mac- several Cary setups. This is the bomb

The VRDs even at new retail are as big a joke as a 1500.00 set of used K horns.If it gets any better than this- it is a matter of debateable opinion- personally I dont see that happening on my watch with my checkbook- unless something really hits me in the face 2 channelwise- I am done buying amps.

Thanks for the kind words from everybody. This day is a memorable one that I will not forget. Equal to the day I brought my K horns at 2 AM on valentines day last year. I paid dearly for that one.If anybody s considering a 2 ch pair of mono blocs for Heritage- do yourself a favor and listen to the VRDs.

Thanks CB - hope to see you soon.

I have a different opinion on the horn change outs. I would not do it if what you want is a Khorn. If you change the collapsing vertical K400 to a tractrix then it is very simple. It is no longer a PWK Heritage speaker. It sure won't sound like one. Probably the most unmistakeable characteristic of a PWK Heritage speaker is the collapsing vertical polars that give that top end you know is Klipsch.

I have heard a few of the forum horn guy's homemade Tractrix horns and they are excellent. I'm not criticzing the horns at all. Just swapping one of those in there creates something altogether different. It's not a Khorn anymore after that. Yes, it will sound very good.

I have a different opinion on the horn change outs. I would not do it if what you want is a Khorn. If you change the collapsing vertical K400 to a tractrix then it is very simple. It is no longer a PWK Heritage speaker. It sure won't sound like one. Probably the most unmistakeable characteristic of a PWK Heritage speaker is the collapsing vertical polars that give that top end you know is Klipsch.

I have heard a few of the forum horn guy's homemade Tractrix horns and they are excellent. I'm not criticzing the horns at all. Just swapping one of those in there creates something altogether different. It's not a Khorn anymore after that. Yes, it will sound very good.

I have to agree with Mark on this. I fell in love with the Klipsch sound when I bought my Cornwalls in 1980. You can change that sound by replacing components but it will no longer sound like a Klipsch Heritage product. Some will like it better, possibly most, but others prefer the PWK sound (like me).

Congrats on the VRDs! When I replaced my MkIIIs with VRDs, the sound of each instrument widened three-fold. Craig builds amazing amps. You will enjoy them for many years to come!

The VRDs replaced currently a mcintosh 2105 ss amp- also previously a set of Tubemacic monoblocs- one of which caught fire.bad day.

Pics next week I promise

Been talking to a few folks about K horn upgrades- new crossovers-closing in the rears ect. Next project on my list.

I am not rolling any tubes on this one for quite a while. The GE 6550s sound unbelievable.