Moody Blues fans?

Coytee

I've been a fan of the Moody Blues for a long time. I have some rather boring stories about going to some of their concerts and some of the events their shows cost me.... I won't bore you with that!

I have however, seen them...(I'm guessing) maybe 20 times. Perhaps a few more....perhaps a few less. I first tried to see them in 1979 when I believe, they came out with the Octave LP. Had a date that night with a really cool chick. Unfortunately, was in a car accident (no one hurt) and didn't make the show.

I've always tried to see them when they came to town....or even a town nearby. Heck, I even drove across the state of Ohio to Cleveland to see them there on a school night (college). I drove up during the day, went to the concert that night and drove straight back to the parking lot at my first class in the morning....as I had a physics test first thing in the morning. It was about a 5 hour drive as I recall, from Oxford to Cleveland. I passed the test [Y]

They're currently touring and if you are a fan or even a passive fan, I'd suggest you make the attempt to go. Tonights show was in the historic Tennessee Theater. Was as good as most any show they've done. They have (in my opinion) laid out some dog shows before. I can't tell you how cheesy I thought the descending satellite was during their Long Distance Voyager tour.... but...I digress. They kicked some serious hiney when they showed up several years ago with the local symphony. So, like I say...they've had some really good shows and some not so good. This show is in my opinion, as good as any if you can discount that Ray Thomas isn't with them anymore. I would presume you know that if you're a fan of theirs. Cute little rocker gal taking his place. Talanted.... plays guitar, flute, harmonica, tamborine, sings, dances.

The reason I'm suggesting that you make the effort.... during the show, they play "Higher & Higher" and Graham Edge comes out from the drums and makes a clown of himself (in a good way). As he was up there bouncing and bounding around... I was thinking, MAN, for a guy 69 years old, he sure has a lot of energy!

Keeping my eye on him, I later noticed him back behind his drum kit sucking down some oxygen. The first time I noticed this was after this specific song however, I noticed it later on after things had calmed down for him a bit.

They sounded good, the room acoustics weren't as good as I would have liked. Was talking to the guy behind me during the intermission, he said he thought it sounded good too... I then pointed out a resonance I was hearing in the bass region during some low passages. All the sudden, his light went off and he heard it too. Wasn't the band, but the room.

Anyways.... given that Edge is or soon to be 69 years old....these guys aren't getting any younger. Go see them now while you can.

http://moodybluestoday.com/

I wonder if Dean got my call? [6]

I love the moody blues as well...have never seen them in concert, but "the voice" and "tuesday afternoon" are always some of the first songs played when I want to rock out when nobody is in the house. On a similar note...I have seen Chicago twice in the last 2 years...ya, it is several band members gone and past, but there is something about the horns that still make it a phenominal show. I will buy moody blues tickets the next time they are within 100 miles of me...may not happen, but I can always hope!

Coytee, I'm a big fan also. I got to see them at LA's Greek Theater, the Hollywood Bowl and my local community theater. You summed up the shows pretty good. I miss Ray Thomas because I love all his songs and he was just fantastic at the Greek. They still enjoy performing and it shows.

Justin's chat on the Moody Blues website is really cool, he's such a nice man. Anyway, do you have the "Blue Jays" album, it's really good. And you are right Graham really huffs and puffs but he gets it all together in short order, God bless them all.

Thanx, Russ

Anyway, do you have the "Blue Jays" album, it's really good

Short answer: Yes (and I love the soaring guitar on Blue Guitar...it's something to behold on the Plug Uglies! That song wasn't on the vinly version I had but is on the cd)

When I was in vinyl, I had everything they put out except for some of their individual stuff. On the individual side, I mainly had Lodge/Hayward (hence the Bluejays amongst some others). I don't think I have anything by the other guys.

Now that the vinyl is gone and only have cd's/dvd's, not so sure I have 100%. One thing that I try to avoid are the compilations that each contain Tuesday Afternoon, Nights/Satin, Singer Rock/Roll band... I mean...how many copies does one need lol.

One thing I have always been frustrated with is for all the times I've seen them, they have their core songs (those mentioned above) and some others that they play regardless.... they then sprinkle another couple songs in there.

They always close with Ride my See Saw...

I personally wish, given the pretty large body of work they have, that they'd mix it up and over the course of one or four tours, play (and record) virtually all of their stuff....even the solo stuff.

Anyone heard 'Broken Dream' from Haywards "Live in San Juan Capistrano"???

If I were to ever get back into vinyl it would be for a band like this where I'd simply go out & get their collection again.

I love the Moody Blues; and was quite upset to read their 2010 tour schedule and NOT see a southern california stop--didn't see any west coast tour dates.

Ditto on that, On their last western tour they played our little theater that's just minutes away, that was too cool.

Thanx, Russ

About 1971, I played Miami of Ohio, supporting a brother sister act. I played bass and guitar. We wandered up to the town square after the second night (we did four or five nights) and went into the local bakery. They were open all night baking stuff for the next day. Bought some cookies and a gram of hash...It must have been packed with opium, as it really did us all in. WHew!

Anyway... I saw the Moody Blues in '69 I believe, at Aaron Russo's Kinetic Playground in Chicago. A tab of acid and my friend and I were good to go. The show was superb. It would have been superb without the acid. The playgorund was pretty cool on its own, too.

Bruce

About 1971, I played Miami of Ohio, supporting a brother sister act. I played bass and guitar. We wandered up to the town square after the second night (we did four or five nights) and went into the local bakery. They were open all night baking stuff for the next day. Bought some cookies and a gram of hash...It must have been packed with opium, as it really did us all in. WHew!

Anyway... I saw the Moody Blues in '69 I believe, at Aaron Russo's Kinetic Playground in Chicago. A tab of acid and my friend and I were good to go. The show was superb. It would have been superb without the acid. The playgorund was pretty cool on its own, too.

Bruce

Loved your story Bruce! [Y] Brings back memories. Took a hit of acid one time on the way to the airport. I was flying from Los Angeles to Detroit. Walked into LAX and was just starting to fry. Saw a long line and without questioning, stood in it. After a long while, I found out it was a line for China Airlines or some Far East airline. Bought a MAD magazine and for some reason EVERYTHING in that magazine was funny. i sat there and laughed the whole flight. Looking back now, I hear the wise words of my brother, "God protects the ignorant." DISCLAIMER: I've been drug free for well over 20 years. But, i have a ton of stories. I wish I could say that Justin Hayward was on the flight; but, the Moody Blues weren't involved in that trip. But, I did take some acid and watch Lake Michigan dry up while I listened to REO Speedwagon's Live You Get What You Play For--but, that's another story.

Loved your story Bruce! Yes Brings back memories. Took a hit of acid one time on the way to the airport. I was flying from Los Angeles to Detroit. Walked into LAX and was just starting to fry. Saw a long line and without questioning, stood in it. After a long while, I found out it was a line for China Airlines or some Far East airline. Bought a MAD magazine and for some reason EVERYTHING in that magazine was funny. i sat there and laughed the whole flight. Looking back now, I hear the wise words of my brother, "God protects the ignorant." DISCLAIMER: I've been drug free for well over 20 years. But, i have a ton of stories. I wish I could say that Justin Hayward was on the flight; but, the Moody Blues weren't involved in that trip. But, I did take some acid and watch Lake Michigan dry up while I listened to REO Speedwagon's Live You Get What You Play For--but, that's another story.

I can certainly relate. I quit in '77. That's the only reason I can talk about it. The old saying that God watches over drunks and fools... certainly applies to so many situations. Thanks for the story. Brings back lots of memories for me as well. For some reason, I have survived and grown. I'll leave it at that.

Bruce